Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial Cert

Default Commercial Cert

I'm currently working on my Inst rating wondering if getting a com rating then my CFI is really worth it.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

YES YES YES...you can basically do all three simultaneously...You will be at the top of your game while you are training and probably can get the comm/instrument checkride at same time...a couple more rides from the right seat doing the same manuvers and get your CFI...Lots of reasons for it...Insurance, proficiency, safety legality and if you are lucky..maybe make a couple bucks...Never know when your dream job may show up!!!

X2. What Indy said!

Yes, it is worth it !!!

That is a big 10-4 good buddy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I Wonder if I'll be able to pay for my investment its a lot more cash. What are the job prospects for a low time comm pilot in ak?

Quote Originally Posted by BARTFRNCS View Post
    I Wonder if I'll be able to pay for my investment its a lot more cash. What are the job prospects for a low time comm pilot in ak?

That depends on if your family owns a flight service.

AGL4NOW That really cracked me up. I would imagine it is highly competitive to find and land a job flying in AK.

You are going to have to build some time to get a job in Alaska. The CFI allows you to build time. You will not make much money doing CFI work. You can also get a SIC job that doesn't pay much, you are also not building PIC time... You can build PIC time working seasonally, flying tourist around.

Most Alaska air taxi operators want to see 1000 hours in a newly hired pilot. Many of them also want to see Alaska time and even time in type. There are a few who will accept the FARs Part 135 pilot-experience minimums of 500 hours which includes 100 hours cross country and of that 100 hours xc, 25 hours of night xc.

Insurance companies tend to dictate pilot experience requirements for Alaska air taxi operators. So your best bet, in my opinion, is to get your CFI-I and give flight instruction in Alaska to build time and Alaska time. Also by working out of Anchorage as a flight instructor, you would get to know people in the aviation community there, who might be in a position to help you get a regular flying job once you satisfy the minimums requiired by a potential employer

To address your original question, and this just my experience and opinion, but Private pilot ticket teaches you to stay absolute center of envelope. The Commercial License Course teaches you where the edge of the envelope is and the basic science of lift and drag relative to each aircrafts envelope. And allows the aircraft driver to experience the true joy of flight without the fear of hugging the center of the envelope.

Aviation is not a place to make money...

When I have float-rating and BFR clients the best folks for money are, heavy construction , oil field production and exploration, medical folks, real-estate developers and so on....

When I get professional pilots, they whine about every penny and steal the sugar from the café lunch table.

If you want to live ok while engaged in aviation, find a spouse with a good job and a forgiving attitude.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

When I have float-rating and BFR clients the best folks for money are, heavy construction , oil field production and exploration, medical folks, real-estate developers and so on....

When I get professional pilots, they whine about every penny and steal the sugar from the café lunch table.

If you want to live ok while engaged in aviation, find a spouse with a good job and a forgiving attitude.
    They learned that last trick from the New York retirees here in Florida, I suspect . . . . .

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Hey Float, you already know the difference between a professional pilot and an engine...The engine quits whining when it gets to the gate!!!... Now did any pax leave a USA today I can read then and do the crossword puzzle with my hotel pen...coffee please...

I'm Retired US Army just looking for a second career Sounds like I can make it work got good insurance and lots of benies moneys crap but better than nothing. My wife has a really good job. is it feasible to make 30k a year in AK? that would make it real comfortable money wise for me. Found out a long time ago money aint everything but not having any really sucks.

Getting very hard to make ends meet in Alaska....cost of living up here is getting out of hand. You do not want to get stuck up here without a decent income. Most entry level flying jobs are in some ****hole out in the bush. More suited to single people....

Do it as a hobbie, I would not rely on aviation as a career/primary source of income these days, especially as a young person. The money is not there anymore. Flying has become so heavily regulated that no one can hardley afford to do it anymore.

I have a serious passion for aerobatics and I have been questioning the wisdom of my hobbie, its a huge money pit and the weather sucks up here more than 50% of the total year.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

The bolded is key. Or just get a 6 figure job in another industry and fly for fun. Then you can fly grossly impracticle expensive planes and do fun things.

You guys sound like AK is not a good place to live. Why is that?

It is a great place to live if you can afford it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast