Thread: Had to put down our beloved dog last week, but...

Default Had to put down our beloved dog last week, but...

We have had a female Pitt Bull/Lab mix dog for over ten years now, and last week we had a veterinarian at home to put her down. She had not been doing well for over a year now with back problems and such. This dog was the most gentle animal we have ever had, and the smartest, as she understood what we had to say very well. My wife had been crying for weeks prior to the event, and still does today, although this new dog (below) is bringing a smile to her face.

She is six months old, but looks much older in this photo. A coworker of mine works as a volunteer at a dog shelter in North Pole, and I arranged for her to bring "Abbie" to our home to meet my wife the day after the other dog died. This one is a Lab with a little Rottweiler in her, with short-stocky legs full of hair like some of European girls I have met in the past (just kidding!!!!). The dog is quite beautiful as you can see in the photo, and sweet as a charm. She is drying the tears off my wife's face already, and she just got it for Mother's Day.

Default Feel for ya

I feel for ya. My friend of nine years is having some problems with his health too. He is very alert and his mind is fine. His body is just failing him though. I am going to put on a couple of asprin a day for pain in his joints. I can't bear to see the day I have to take him in.

The only complaint I have with God is that a good dog should live as long as his best friend.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I feel for ya. My friend of nine years is having some problems with his health too. He is very alert and his mind is fine. His body is just failing him though. I am going to put on a couple of asprin a day for pain in his joints. I can't bear to see the day I have to take him in.

The only complaint I have with God is that a good dog should live as long as his best friend.
    The hardest thing is deciding to put the dog down, since it becomes much of a family member. The veterinarian does house calls, so she came to our home to take care of the dog while my wife, son, and I stood by the dog's side rubbing her head and ears. She fell asleep with the first shot, and that's all my wife could take. The left and locked herself in the bedroom. My son and I stayed until it was over after the second shot, and then we buried her. It was pretty tough, let me tell you.

We gave her Glucosamine-complex pills and aspirin each day for the past two years and that seemed to help, but sometimes she could not get up for days. Her mind was in top shape, but not her body.

Dogs were not an important part of my life until we got her, and now, thank to her, I have no fears to admit that I have become a big softy when it comes to dogs. They just find a place in one's heart and stay there forever.

This new dog (in the photo above) has found a family that has been trained to love by the other dog. Well, that's true at least for me and my son, since my wife has always had a tender heart when it comes to dogs. She didn't need training

Default Loss of a dog

The ONLY bad thing about being a dog owner is you will out live many of them in your lifetime. I have lost 2 dogs that I had for 10 yrs each and it's crushing! I am sure your old buddy lived a very fulfilling "doggy" life. Heck, most of my dogs have been to more beautiful places and done more in the outdoors than most people! Best of luck with your new buddy, cheers. JP

Sorry to hear about that Ray. I may be in your shoes sooner than I hope. My dog is getting old and really starting to show her age. Really hard for her to up and around most mornings. We are just hoping for the best right now. Good to hear the new pup is helping out though!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks.

The new dog is helping us quite a lot, since it's a hand-full when left alone in the house. She does get in the kennel to play of to get a snack, but once we leave we can hear her crying from outside the house

We left her loose around the house yesterday, and she created a mess. My wife closed all the doors, and put things out of her reach, but she managed to reach to the middle of the table, grab a silk flower arrangement, and eat one of the flowers. She opened our bedroom door (I have no idea how she managed to turn the round handle), jumped on the bed, and chew my wife's make-up bag. She only chewed the bag, no the contents.

She peed by the clothes hamper, and then dropped a couple of "puppy bricks" next the her kennel. Maybe she was trying to make a statement of some kind? The next move was to open the laundry room door, and to chew a bag full of brass fittings I had there (just the plastic). Then she grabbed a large wooden basket my wife had by the fireplace, dumped the magazines on the floor, and shredded the basket

We just had a big laugh about it, because the other dog did the same when we got her. We had to put her in the kennel four hours per day (my wife works part-time), until she turned 2. By then she was old enough to behave when being home alone. I could swear that the new dog is a saint when we are home. She is well mannered, leash-trained, waits for us to get in front and then follows, sits when waiting for a snack and when waiting for us to put the collar around her neck, etc. The sweetest dog around unless left alone and loose at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Ray. I may be in your shoes sooner than I hope. My dog is getting old and really starting to show her age. Really hard for her to up and around most mornings. We are just hoping for the best right now. Good to hear the new pup is helping out though!
    Give the dog an Aspirin every now and then when she may be suffering a little. We gave ours some of my own Glucosamine pills for her joints and back each day. She ate very well, but didn't get fat. In addition to her dog food, we gave her salmon, canned herring, steaks, boiled eggs, and their favorite: vanilla ice cream. We cooked brown rice for her with a little garlic, and extra virgin olive oil, etc. She was well loved at our home, and she did the same for us for almost 11 years, so for the last couple of years to make her as happy as possible was our way of thanking her for all the happy moments she brought to our family.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Thanks.

The sweetest dog around unless left alone and loose at home.
    I feel you there I have two Labs and they do the same...
    But its all worth it.

Default Best Friend ...

Sad news. I know how it goes. We had ours put down last June. Really hurts. They are family no doubt. Our Lab/Rott is also growing old and we will have to deal with it once again. We have decided to never get another dog after Max is gone. My neighbor says "Ya Right". I kinda agree with him. We will see.

" ...a good dog should live as long as his best friend."

Man, well spoken and Amen brother!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default Mine

I have had mine on Glucosamine liquid for a while now. Matter of fact, I take his with a little Crown Royal.

I started two asprin a day now and he is a little happier. A 300-400 walk gets him tired but the desire is there. He is getting a lot of attention lately.

When I taught in Shaktoolik, we would go down to the beach and play baseball. He loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default I feel

I feel for you. I had to put down my beloved lab "Chief" 3 years ago. It just about killed me. THe only problem is that my German Shepard is getting old and I've had him twice as long as Chief. His hips are really bad and he's getting a fully gray muzzle. The only problem is that he is only 8.5 years old ! I know the day is coming soon and I can't stand to think about it. Its the worst emotionally I"ve ever had it. I've seen lots of deaths, been lots of places, but my dog is definitely my best friend !
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    I feel for you. I had to put down my beloved lab "Chief" 3 years ago. It just about killed me. THe only problem is that my German Shepard is getting old and I've had him twice as long as Chief. His hips are really bad and he's getting a fully gray muzzle. The only problem is that he is only 8.5 years old ! I know the day is coming soon and I can't stand to think about it. Its the worst emotionally I"ve ever had it. I've seen lots of deaths, been lots of places, but my dog is definitely my best friend !
    Johnny
    I feel your pain.

The funny thing is that I had never been attached to dogs until the one we had to put down thought me better. My wife, of course, grew up with a family dog around the house, so she didn't need any training Her name was "Kayla", and somehow she became family not long after we got her from the animal shelter. She had a tremendous will to live, but her body could not longer carry her. Now I see the new dog, and I feel happy knowing that thanks to Kayla the new dog has found a place at our home. My wife still cries when she thinks of Kayla, but Abbie (the new dog) is making her laugh. I can hear he talking to Abbie as I type

Isn't strange how we, grown men, talk about our dogs? The little critters are therapeutic, I guess, and loyal as heck.

Sorry to hear about that Ray. I had a lab/pitbull mix as well that I had to put down last June after 16 years. She was the smartest dog I ever saw. Great temperment and loved to play. Loved kids. I would like to get another for my son, I just don't think I'm ready yet, maybe this winter.

Good luck w/ the new dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Ray. I had a lab/pitbull mix as well that I had to put down last June after 16 years. She was the smartest dog I ever saw. Great temperment and loved to play. Loved kids. I would like to get another for my son, I just don't think I'm ready yet, maybe this winter.

Good luck w/ the new dog!
    16 years is an incredibly long life for such a large dog. It's rare to have one without back problems by the age of 10 or so, and it seems that you got that one from a litter without such problem. Not having to walk up and down stairs, or jumping up/down the truck also seems to help. We have a split-level home with two sets of steps in front, and this made it difficult for the old dog. We helped her with a sling made of soft cloth from a blanket, and she was grateful for that.

I could be wrong, but the "Lab" side is what makes the difference. Labs are very sociable, and love to play. Since kids can be so active, Labs can get along with them very well with them and play all day. The Rottweiler (or Pitt Bull) side brings in the "protective" side.

She was a smaller dog(runt from the litter) only 52lbs max. She had some back probs latter in life and got very "creaky"
    The best example I have of her getting protective was with a younger cousin of mine who is mentally retarded. She is confined to a wheel chair. The first time my dog ever met her was at a family BBQ and my dog sat down beside her and spent the whole day by her side. Normally she'd have been noseing around everyone or having someone throw their arm off throwing a tennis ball for her, but once she saw my cousin she sensed she was different and spent the day w/ her.
    If and when I get another, I want to get a lab mix again. She was such an awesome dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    She was a smaller dog(runt from the litter) only 52lbs max. She had some back probs latter in life and got very "creaky"
    The best example I have of her getting protective was with a younger cousin of mine who is mentally retarded. She is confined to a wheel chair. The first time my dog ever met her was at a family BBQ and my dog sat down beside her and spent the whole day by her side. Normally she'd have been noseing around everyone or having someone throw their arm off throwing a tennis ball for her, but once she saw my cousin she sensed she was different and spent the day w/ her.
    If and when I get another, I want to get a lab mix again. She was such an awesome dog.
    What a great story. Her smaller size probably helped her last that long.

Our dog was very protective of my wife, and both were very close to each other. She was muscular and tall, and weighed around 70 pounds about three years ago. Although she would eat like a horse, she started losing body mass about two years ago when her back went South. If we would have lived in a farm, or at a one story house, she would have died of old age instead. It's just too painful, even for me, to put a family dog down. You could just imagine how painful it has been on my wife, but luckily the new dog is quite sweet and has taken to her very fast. My wife has a heart of gold, and maybe they can sense that.

Am sad to hear about your loss.............am glad to hear you rescued a new dog.

When we lost our first Dog my wife cried for weeks and swore we would never have another.

I explained to my wife that we only effect how a dog lives, not if it lives. Dogs will be born wether we have another dog or not............she took that to heart, but decided we would only take a dog that was in need, at a shelter, etc...................I had to cut her off at four.

Clearly your dog lived a good life and was blessed with an owner that met his final obligation.

I hope your wife is able to find many smiles when remembering her last dog...............best of luck with the new one.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Jake says Hi. He is a Lab mix.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments.

Hello to you, Jake.