Thread: Polaris ranger low range slipping?

Default Polaris ranger low range slipping?

I have a 2004 ranger 6x6 that has runs great in high range. When it low range it runs well until trying to give it full or close to full throttle and it will make an intermittent surging noise. Any ideas on what would be causing this or what it takes to fix it?
    thanks.

Is the sound out of the motor or drivetrain? Usually the first thing to check is your chain tension and see if your sprocket is missing some teeth......

Might be time for a new belt. The torque generated in low range may be enough to make it slip where high range won't quite.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Is the sound out of the motor or drivetrain? Usually the first thing to check is your chain tension and see if your sprocket is missing some teeth......
    Rangers are not chain drive. I agree with checking the belt first.

The belt is the first place to start. When the belt starts to go bad on a ranger it can give some weird indications of something wrong other then the belt. Mine felt like a bearing was going out but instead I had a flat spot on the belt. They say the belts last forever on a ranger but nothing lasts forever and especially if you work your machine while in high. There is a lot of heat that builds and heat is the biggest killer of belts.
    If thats not the issue then check fuel (filter and fuel quality) but I suspect that you won't need to go that far.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Low range can lead to over-revving. Mine surges in low-load conditions when the engine's screaming. That's what I thought of when I read the original post. A bad belt is more recognizable (to me) under a heavy load.

Finally got to check the belt, which looked okay. I changed it anyway but in the end its still slipping?? What should I look at next?

What u r experiencing is normal the rev limiter in low will bump back and forth between 5700 and 6200 rpm. Tow something heavy with it or go up a hill and it goes away. If that's not it no clue.

I got a chance to take it for a long ride and I would agree with you. It doesn't seem to do that when going uphill, etc, only when trying to go as fast as possible in low range. Thanks for the response.