Thread: Hunt Pack size question

Default Hunt Pack size question

So I've been looking at packs to use for hunting and hike camping. I am having issues on deciding on what size to get since I'm just getting started. I plan on any where from day hikes to multi-week hikes/hunts.
    I am between a 4800 cubic inch "moose" external frame pack or a 6800 cubic inch "hunter" external frame pack from Barney's in Anchorage. The 4800 has less outter pockets and doesn't have a main compartment divider like the 6800 and the pack material is different. I want enough room for my gear of course but I don't want to over kill it and add weight and bulk if not needed. Any input helps.

I have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide external frame pack. I have used it the last 6 years and am going to use it again this year. It's been from Deadhorse to Homer with out a single problem.

The weight difference is only a few ounces. The larger bag compresses down well. There is no way to grow additional cubic inches when you need it in the field. Get the larger bag.

Air weighs nothing....go big.

On a weeklong hunt you'll find 4800ci doesn't get close to the volume you need- even going pretty spartan. I use a 6500ci and really wish I'd bought a 7000ci of the same pack.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I agree with what has been said above. 4800 ci will not be nearly enough for a 10 day plus hunt. Also you need to consider the fact that if you are successful, you'll need room for your camp plus game.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Air weighs nothing....go big.
    Good point on that. Haven't really thought of it that way.
    And the compress straps on the 6800 do look like they'd be useful for compressing down my load to under a 4800 size.
    I guess there's no reason to go for the smaller one.

I'd echo some of the others--go with the bigger bag it will save you money and heartache in the long run.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Size matters as with all things in life! Get the bigger bag. One other recommendation I have is to skip packs with heavy weight materials or with extra compartments. They add weight and while nice for organization, the extra compartments are not necessary. Definitely get a pack you can drop a whole moose quarter straight into the pack. The pack needs to have compression straps that can be used to cinch down the load once it is in the pack. These straps are much much much more efficient than trying to tie a load of meat down in my opinion.