Thread: Arrow point weight

Default Arrow point weight

I plan on doing some archery hunting, and I was wondering what are the recommendations for a good weight on the front end for good penetration on any or all game on Alaska.

I am using a Hoyt Dorado 50# @ 28", so any traditional people your advice/ opinions would be great!

Also, I was told its best to have the same weight practice tips as broadheads.. Yes or no?

Sent from Alaska

It all depends, are you shooting the correct spine arrow? And yes you should shoot the same hunting weight as your field tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven370 View Post
    I plan on doing some archery hunting, and I was wondering what are the recommendations for a good weight on the front end for good penetration on any or all game on Alaska.

I am using a Hoyt Dorado 50# @ 28", so any traditional people your advice/ opinions would be great!

Also, I was told its best to have the same weight practice tips as broadheads.. Yes or no?

Sent from Alaska

FullCurl said 400spine would fit the bill.

Sent from Alaska

It ain't quite that easy. 400 spine might be correct but point weight will depend on your shaft length, your actual draw length, and your release. Two different people can shoot the same bow and each need a different arrow or different point weight. A 30" shaft might shoot OK with a 125 grain head. Cut the shaft to 29 1/2" and you might need a 160 point. Cut it to 29" and you might need a 190. I personally like to shoot very heavy point weights. I sometimes go up a spine so that I can shoot a heavier point. I'm shoot 300 grains up front right now. Do a bare shaft test to get in the ball park for shaft spine and length and then fine tune with point weight. My experience with shooting bare shaft is: If you get the bare shaft sticking straight into the target with a 125 point then fletch one up. If it shoots good then you're done. Try a 160 or 190 and you may even see better flight. Work with 2 or 3 arrows until you get them shooting well. Don't cut a whole dozen and find out you cut them all too short or they aren't the correct spine.