Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 145 days down 114 to go

  1. #1
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default 145 days down 114 to go

    Of the 259 days between duck season here on the peninsula we have managed to make it through 145 of them so far. We are now well past half way.
    So what is everybody doing in the off season to get ready for the upcoming opener.
    I am going to build a lightweight portable blind that I can hunt two or three people out of that will be easy to fold up and cary in and out. I need to pick up some more decoys for sea ducks and I need to get a few different species for my puddle duck spread and I also want 3 or 4 floater goose decoys for those rare canadas that come by. I have picked up a few new calls and made a few lanyards for those calls and I finally settled on a lanyard I like and I have been practicing like crazy with those new calls. The wife said I can't do it in the house anymore so I do it when I'm driving or when she's not home. I also made a new strap that I hope will be loaded with ducks and geese more often than not. I tied a few of those too before I settled on one I like. I would like to get a sled that I can drag all my stuff in with and I may try to incorporate my portable blind into the sled. Another thing I either am going to buy or build is going to be a jerk string it was tough on those windless days with the only thing moving was the mojo duck. I also added a remote to the mojo. I built enough 3' and 6' Texas rigs for 24 deeks and think I will build some 8' or 10' as well and use heavier weights for hunting where there is current and tidal movement . I only take a dozen to 18 deeks max at a time for puddle ducks but it's nice to have extra stuff ready when you need it. Still lots I would like to do and I am already looking for things to do after this season. One thing I would like to find is a cheap john boat in the 14' range give it a bad paint job and stick a small surface drive or jet on it for running skinnier waters. I also plan to do more scouting this year and plan to hunt at least three new areas I've not hunted before.

    So tell me what things you have planned and post pics of finished projects. It might give us all some more ideas.

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  2. #2
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I hear ya brother..nothing like getting ready for duck season. It is truely an annual event at my house..Kids know and always look forward to helping out. cant wait to get them out this year.
    I have been gone for a year and missed last years season. Bought a new Dboat and motor..going to arriving to a buddies house soon and can't wait to get it wet.

    If your looking for some older decoys for painting into something else..I can probably hook you up. Have over 250 and only use a few dozen max these days unless hunting big water. Shoot me a PM and we can arrange something in August.

    Looking forward to a camo job on the new gun and repainting all the deeks in August as well.

    Just can't wait to get back and play.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  3. #3
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I hear ya brother..nothing like getting ready for duck season. It is truely an annual event at my house..Kids know and always look forward to helping out. cant wait to get them out this year.
    I have been gone for a year and missed last years season. Bought a new Dboat and motor..going to arriving to a buddies house soon and can't wait to get it wet.

    If your looking for some older decoys for painting into something else..I can probably hook you up. Have over 250 and only use a few dozen max these days unless hunting big water. Shoot me a PM and we can arrange something in August.

    Looking forward to a camo job on the new gun and repainting all the deeks in August as well.

    Just can't wait to get back and play.
    I really only need to get out my gear and maybe buy a battey for my duck butt decoy so looks like I'll be helping you as much as I can Duckhunter. It will be nice having you back brother. And thanks again for your service

  4. #4
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I hear ya..looking forward to the retirement and spending time with good friends and family.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  5. #5
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Tony, when you get the blind built post a pic or two. always looking for ideas. I hunt mostly out of a boat, but will be taking a look at a new area to me this summer that will require a short walk with gear, maybe a feeble old man can handle that, we will see. I need to tighten or replace some rivits on my duck boat this summer, tired of the leaks. i like the boat, its big and wide and stable for me and dog and another hunter. most would say its too big and difficult to hide, but i fooled lots of ducks last sseason with minimal camo, want to do better this year. with boomers calling lessons, i expect to have them landing in the puddle between the seats this year. I don't believe in painting my deks, i think the most important thing with deks is the sillouete. i like a smear of mud over newer deks to cut down on glare and reflection that may spook incoming birds. just got the jerk string setup from cabelas, good set up, comes with anchor, ekastic cord and several leads to to connect to deks, anticipate it working well and better then experimenting and trying to mae up your own. Sept 1 is on a sunday this year, so anticipate that in popular areas lot of deks will be set up on saturday to "mark their spot", but that will be another thread i'm sure. Bud
    Wasilla

  6. #6
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Very true Bud...but a good time Sat night if camping out there..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  7. #7
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Well I'll be working on the opener but I will be out there a few days later.
    I'll for sure post pics when I get the blind done I have an idea of what it's going to look like and what I want. I drew plans for it now I just need to get material and build it. Life slows down a lot when you have a 16 month old and makes it a lot harder to just do whatever you want when you want.

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Tony, when you get the blind built post a pic or two. always looking for ideas. I hunt mostly out of a boat, but will be taking a look at a new area to me this summer that will require a short walk with gear, maybe a feeble old man can handle that, we will see. I need to tighten or replace some rivits on my duck boat this summer, tired of the leaks. i like the boat, its big and wide and stable for me and dog and another hunter. most would say its too big and difficult to hide, but i fooled lots of ducks last sseason with minimal camo, want to do better this year. with boomers calling lessons, i expect to have them landing in the puddle between the seats this year. I don't believe in painting my deks, i think the most important thing with deks is the sillouete. i like a smear of mud over newer deks to cut down on glare and reflection that may spook incoming birds. just got the jerk string setup from cabelas, good set up, comes with anchor, ekastic cord and several leads to to connect to deks, anticipate it working well and better then experimenting and trying to mae up your own. Sept 1 is on a sunday this year, so anticipate that in popular areas lot of deks will be set up on saturday to "mark their spot", but that will be another thread i'm sure. Bud
    Hey everyone, I see that a few of you have or know of some nice spots that are capable of reaching on foot. I do not expect you to tell me your secret spots... I am just wondering if anyone would be willing to suggest a place that they might know of to get to on foot. I have orders to Georgia and this will be my first and last duck season in Alaska. I have tried the past two years but I was deployed for one and arrived back in AK at the tail end of the second season. I just wanna kill some birds! and do not have a boat which makes it so much more difficult. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

  9. #9
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Kdemm

    Send me a PM. I'll take ya. Have introduced many old and new waterfowlers to the sport over the years. We will work out the details later. Plenty of time. Just get your stuff ready and let me know what works for you.

    have everything you would need, if you dont have it.

    Early Sept works better for me.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  10. #10
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Yep, opening day is only about 2 1/2 months away. Seems so close, and I will be ready, but not in a rush, loving this past couple weeks of Alaska summer and want as much of it as we can get. Just need some fish to go with it, and a bear, and a moose. Then will be ready for ducks. Bud
    Wasilla

  11. #11
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Only 69 days left to wait

  12. #12
    Member bkbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Love that number normally. But in this case it still feels like a long way from satisfaction.

  13. #13
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    But the build up leads to great satisfaction.

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  14. #14
    Member Team Kabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Show ME Alaska
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Can't wait to drop some ducks from the sky's!

  15. #15
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Yep...fishing is great!..but duckhunting is better! Just something about that sunrise over the marsh, while coming alive with the sound of whistling wings. Just don't get much better than that.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    I have a recently acquired Grumman Sport Boat that I am trying to make into a duck boat before Sept 1. That and trying to make time to work with the dog, maybe get him in some nahra events.

  17. #17
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Less than two months to go... 55 days left to wait. I cleaned my shotgun three times last week just to get it in my hands

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  18. #18
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I can't post a picture of it from phone..in transition to return and all is packed up.. But thanks to AKduckman,_ my new EBADS is all put together and ready to roll!
    Maybe he will post one..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  19. #19
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I can't post a picture of it from phone..in transition to return and all is packed up.. But thanks to AKduckman,_ my new EBADS is all put together and ready to roll!
    Maybe he will post one..
    I was kicking it at his house yesterday and saw your boat. One sweet little boat you got there.

  20. #20
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I need to get a new set of waders still. One pair fell apart on me last year, another pair finally sprung a leak after 6 years, and my last pair are 5mm (way too warm for early season). Guess I better get on that soon!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •