Thread: How goes your garden or greenhouse?

Default How goes your garden or greenhouse?

Well it's getting close. Just wanted to see where everyone else was at in preparation for this growing season. I still can't get in the garden to do any ground work but it should be in the next week, just need a few more warmer dry days to dry things up. I'm now building more raised beds to install this next weekend. My greenhouse is unheated so I'm still to scared to put anything in but a few cool crops. My dining/kitchen area looks like a jungle with starts. Come on warm sunny weather!!

I know how you feel! I am overrun with tomatoes. I started 30 (idk what I was thinking) and have given away all but 10. I also have 12 peppers (king of the north, early jalapeno, manzano, cascabella, garden sunshine, chinese giant and yellow tabasco) dahlia, petunia, marigold, zinnia, cucumbers, squash, beans ect indoors. My GH is unheated but I have peas, carrots, radishes, spinach, onions and lettuce out there now, plus pansies, linaria, snapdragons, godetia, poppies, and quite a few other annuals that seem to be doing ok without heat. It's getting a little crazy, but by June 1 most everything should be outside in the garden or at least in the greenhouse. Maybe earlier if I get lucky! The only thing that might not make it outside until later than that would be the peppers, and that is only if we get another miserable, cold, wet June like last year. Happy Mothers Day and happy gardening!

Broc, cabbage & lettuce starts are in the GH.
    Planted onion sets in the garden.
    Tomatoes & cucs in the GH.
    Forecast to be above freezing thru the night now , I hope the weather gurus are right

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Broc, cabbage & lettuce starts are in the GH.
    Planted onion sets in the garden.
    Tomatoes & cucs in the GH.
    Forecast to be above freezing thru the night now , I hope the weather gurus are right
    Found an ancient catalytic heater to use in my little green house.. Altho I lost 2 cucs earlier everything is looking pretty good now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Found an ancient catalytic heater to use in my little green house. . .

John,

Can you be more specific about the catalytic heater . . what fuel? . . how big is your greenhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    John,

Can you be more specific about the catalytic heater . . what fuel? . . how big is your greenhouse?

Marcus, the little green house is 8x10, the catalytic heater is something Coleman made back about the middle of the last century
    it was made to burn "blazo" but unleaded reg gas works just fine. I don't remember when or why I bought it, but I just recently found it under some "stuff" out in a far back corner of a storage shed. I light it every evening when the temp in the GH gets down to about 50 and set it on the floor in the middle, then shut it down in the AM when the outside temp gets above 40. The tomatoes seem to accept it, and the cucs seem to like it. Those Cuc's are "Sweet Success" and the name seems rather appropriate IMHO.... "mudbuddy" put me onto them last year and they really produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Marcus, the little green house is 8x10, the catalytic heater is something Coleman made back about the middle of the last century
    it was made to burn "blazo" but unleaded reg gas works just fine. I don't remember when or why I bought it, but I just recently found it under some "stuff" out in a far back corner of a storage shed. I light it every evening when the temp in the GH gets down to about 50 and set it on the floor in the middle, then shut it down in the AM when the outside temp gets above 40. The tomatoes seem to accept it, and the cucs seem to like it. Those Cuc's are "Sweet Success" and the name seems rather appropriate IMHO.... "mudbuddy" put me onto them last year and they really produced.

Thanks, John, I know the unit of which you speak.

My wife swears by Sweet Success cukes, which she buys as starts from a local greenhouse . . absolutely inundates us with them every year.

She's trying something new this year . . self-watering gutter gardens:

For now she's filling the gutters by hand with water collected off the roof of the greenhouse . . if all works as well as she hopes, next summer I'll run water to the gutters so they fill automatically. Hoping the idea will do well . . less work, and the tubs will warm up nicely since they're off the ground.

My wife swears by Sweet Success cukes, which she buys as starts from a local greenhouse . . absolutely inundates us with them every year.

For now she's filling the gutters by hand with water collected off the roof of the greenhouse . . if all works as well as she hopes, next summer I'll run water to the gutters so they fill automatically. Hoping the idea will do well . . less work, and the tubs will warm up nicely since they're off the ground.
    That's a very interesting setup... I have a dozen buckets set up as self watering planters, but each bucket is a system within itself.. and I have to manually top them off every 3 or 4 days, depending on how much sunshine we get...

I do something similar to the gutters, but I use 8' long soil boxes instead of buckets.
    Added a water level valve to keep the water level constant.

WM & Fred Myers had some "sweet success" plants. Forgot the price though.
    Wife made pickles last year we had so many cucs.

I think I have one of the heaters John's talking about.
    Green colman catalytic, bought in the 70s for tent camping with kids.

" Great Idea"
    Will dig mine out & use it this FAll

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    WM & Fred Myers had some "sweet success" plants. Forgot the price though.
    Wife made pickles last year we had so many cucs.

I think I have one of the heaters John's talking about.
    Green colman catalytic, bought in the 70s for tent camping with kids.

" Great Idea"
    Will dig mine out & use it this FAll
    Mudbuddy,
    Larsen's Nursery off of KGb has some Sweet Success for $2 Kinda small but a start.

I'm trying some Acorn Squash this year..

It was probably back in the 70's when I bought the Catalytic Heater I have.. Probably bought it at the old Hook & Hoe, for camping like you.
    Hopefully will be able to extend the season a little with it this coming fall..

John

a month after planting...some from starts, some from seeds...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, peas, beets, swiss chard, onions, fava beans (for fun), what you can't see, green beans, carrots

Uploaded with ImageShack.us zuchini and potatoes..
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thumbs up

Attachment 71962

Photo was taken about a week ago . . things are farther along now. My wife is sold on her new gutter gardens . . soil in the buckets is warmer than soil in the beds, and the gutters have cut her water use nearly in half.

Garden doing well
    Growing faster than the grandkids:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Garden is doing well . . .

Greenhouse and garden are rocking along . . my wife went nuts today . . picked a bunch of stuff, took off for the dentist, and left me to prep and blanch two messes of beet greens, two messes of chard, three messes of kale, two messes of green beans, and three messes of zucchini. We figure a mess, for the two of us, is somewhere between eight and twelve ounces. Now to vacuum seal them all.

Anyone wondering what to do with all your zucchini, get you a spiral slicer like the one below, the one I use. Spiral slice your zucchini, steam it lightly, and treat it like spaghetti . . a little white sauce, some salmon or chicken flaked in, and you'll stop giving your zucchini away.

Attachment 72731

Attachment 72732