Thread: Rotator cuff injuries and archery...

Default Rotator cuff injuries and archery...

My experience with a rotator cuff tear (RCT) came from weights, but these injuries develop from a range of causes (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rot...SECTION=causes) including repetitive stress.
    Fortunately a therapist (my brother) recommended some focused exercises which I do preventatively to this day.
    So far, so good.

An orthopedic surgeon I was deployed with explained the anatomy of the shoulder and why it's so vulnerable to injury.
    The anatomy also explains the value in exercising, keeping the four muscles toned and healthy to reduce injury risk. I found an excellent article at Bowsite, http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/bowdoc/shoulder/ -virtually the same explanation from my ortho friend years ago.

The Bowsite article is excellent. Of the recommended stretches and exercises, I do a lot like the fourth photo (external rotation) in the gym, but it can be done with resistance bands. Bands or weights are handy because you can also flip to internal rotation for exercising.

Good luck.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

This is a very interesting set of exercises. I shoot a fair amount of archery but like most it sometimes goes in fits and starts. I'm also well within that age range where the authors point out injuries are more prevalent. I'm also a swimmer, have been for more than 30 years now and I've basically done that same set of exercises to warm up and stretch before swimming. It never occurred to me that they too would be keeping my shoulder in condition for archery. So just to add another vote for the aforementioned exercises and stretches, they must work because to date my shoulders seem to be fine.

Although my shoulder injury is not a pure rotator cuff injury, it is more, I do all the exercises in the second article except the third one. I hurt both shoulders and I am unable to reach behind my back (what I call tucking my shirt in at the small of my back)...this is a pure external rotation motion. It is better, but I have a long way to go... Also, I started with Ther-a-bands, went to pulleys, and I now use a cable weight system and started exercises that mimic drawing a bow string. I started with no weights and worked up to 75#. Slow and steady. I can now draw my 62# compound bow without pain...the 85% let-off really helps as well. Nothing worse for an archery than to injure a shoulder! Thanks for the articles.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I'm a lefty and had surgery on my left shoulder. Really really long recovery made me learn to shoot right handed. At least I have a backup shoulder in case I blow my right one out now.

Some of those exercises were used when I had my rotator surgery, especially the one with the weight and laying on your side. Hard to believe how hard it is to lift one pound like that after surgery. Thanks for the reminders for limbering up before shooting our bows

Mark

Took me 9 months after surgery to get to the point where I could shoot a bow. I started with a 20 lb recurve and worked up to a 40 lb before I tried my compound and went back to the 30 lb recurve for another 4 months or so. I also started paddling a canoe which seemed to build some of the same muscles...anyway 2 years later I'm back to a 60 lb recurve and doing fine with the compound. It sure works better now and was worth the surgery in the long run.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Swimming easy laps is another great way to get your shoulder back in shape safely. Did wonders for me.