Thread: Going crazy!!!

Default Going crazy!!!

Has anybody in unit 20 been able to put bait out. I am going stir crazy waiting for snow to melt.

Why wait? I had snow in pics with brown and black bears in June at my bait last year! We have killed them in every spring on snow pretty much. Snow doesn't affect the bears at all. If you have easy to digest bait, they will hit it. Found hair plugs a few times at bait site. Last year had bear tracks at bait, but not really disturbed, sniffing it out, then it was hit a bit later. Snow makes zero difference, wait to long, they find sows and food source and will never hit your bait.

If wanting to use wheeler, well sometimes ya gotta suck it up and do work!

I have never had luck with putting the bait out with high snow levels. The first couple of years I put it in early I didn't get a hit until almost all the snow was gone.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by carrera72 View Post
    I have never had luck with putting the bait out with high snow levels. The first couple of years I put it in early I didn't get a hit until almost all the snow was gone.
    Doesn't mean you can't get started. The bears will get there when they get there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by carrera72 View Post
    Has anybody in unit 20 been able to put bait out. I am going stir crazy waiting for snow to melt.
    we got started on it, before the bottom fell out of it.. 900 foot deep in the hills and 0 at all the access points. last trip in was at 4 am to stay on the crust.. when i broke through it was like running through over flow ad burnt both belts on the tundra..

6 inches new snow expected today, high temps, rotten snow, and about to flood when it finally happens this yer.. UGH!! bloody hell i am sick of it this year.. i dont mind working but this is over the top trying to get into the baits let alone get bait in... 2 years planning this season.... its reallllly getting to me
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post

If wanting to use wheeler, well sometimes ya gotta suck it up and do work!
    we still have several feet of snow up here in places, like in the trees, rivers are still iced in, and just starting to run. creeks are flooding... unlike the S central region.. interior got a higher then norm snow fall.. and continues to do so ... with slower then normal melt.. our condtions SUCK!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Things will happen, just a "little" later than normal! Good luck fellas!

By the time I have access there will honestly probably be only 3 weeks worth of baiting left. And We have alot of 3-4 day weekends planned for heading south to fish. Will probably call it quits before putting any bait out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    we still have several feet of snow up here in places, like in the trees, rivers are still iced in, and just starting to run. creeks are flooding... unlike the S central region.. interior got a higher then norm snow fall.. and continues to do so ... with slower then normal melt.. our condtions SUCK!!!!!!

True, but I bait in an area that get alot more snow that you get up there. Last year it hunt around and dad shot a bear on the way into the bait while were about to leave, lotta snow on the ground! We hike it all in, rotten snow and all. This year may be later than normal, but will see. My dad will probably go check it on Sun. But waiting for the snow to go before we get bait out, would yeild little results on the camera!

WELL I am not hiking in 26miles... NOPE..not.. not gonna hike in 7 miles to the first bait either... thought i was gonna hike out though... but i fixed it.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    WELL I am not hiking in 26miles... NOPE..not.. not gonna hike in 7 miles to the first bait either... thought i was gonna hike out though... but i fixed it.

Geesh, I wouldn't either!!!!!!! You must get awesome results, or you are a glutton for punishment?!

Gave it the old college try and it was a no go on the bait. Waist deep rotten snow just a bit to much to hike in with bait on my back. Will try again in a few weeks.

I was out in the YTA yesterday, stalking. Only sign I found was old moose sign. I'm thinking about baiting out there but a lot of people have told me that the only thing I'll bring in is some Grizz.
    I need a place that I can access by foot since I don't own a quad/4wheeler, boat or plane.

Still 2 plus ft of snow near the Yukon in the woods, callin it off this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo907 View Post
    Still 2 plus ft of snow near the Yukon in the woods, callin it off this year
    You are not the first person I have heard say that. This snow is really putting a damper on the season but I am still hoping I can put bait out this week or next. If not I might be calling it a season too.