Thread: King Fishing Out of Elfin Cove/Yakobi Island in Late July

Default King Fishing Out of Elfin Cove/Yakobi Island in Late July

My wife and I will be chartering a boat out of Juneau in late July and plan on spending most of our trip in the Elfin Cove area. Wondering where the best bet is for Kings at this time of the year. I know it's late for the main King fishing on the coast; but I've been fishing northern BC for the last 10 years in mid-August and found that while the numbers are lower, the one caught are bigger. I'm used to fishing for these later Kings in shallower water (about 40 feet) and wondering if the same holds true for this area. Any help on the best gear for the area would also be appreciated. I'll plan on having spoons, hootchies and herring all available. Thanks for the help!

Just received a poor report for early Kings from some commercial friends. Hopefully, the run will gain some strength. I like fishing the Elfin Cove area. I would highly recommend spending a few nights in the Surge Bay area so you won't have to make the long run out there. The early morning bite is great by the green buoy South of Surge bay. I use Herring, but the Silvers will take away your supply quickly, so don't be afraid of spoons. Assuming you have downriggers, fish for the Kings deeper. You may have trouble getting a lure through the top layers of Silvers.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million!

jwl,

Is " best bet" a measure of quality or quantity? My experience is that by July most of the bigger kings have found their way inland, closer to Juneau. The fish still hanging around West of Elfin Cove - Yakobi Rock to Lisianski Strait - are feeder kings that usually run 10# to 20#.

I am guessing you are on a Nordic Tug, so you probably have enough freezer space to freeze a day's catch quickly enough so you are legal to fish the next day. If so, staying in Surge Bay or Deer Harbor (avoid the rock on the way in!) is the way to go; near zero run from/to the fish and a very nice anchorage for the night.

A flasher/hoochie rig seems to be the preferred setup on the outside where the common baitfish is sand lance. Herring work out there too, but you will go through heaps of them because of all the rockfish, lings, and small halibut. Inside - east of Soapstone where there are few rockfish and lings - blue label herring are probably a better bet to attract a big king if there are any still around.

Erik

Erik: Great comment on "best bet". Actually, I'd much rather have a chance at one tyee than several smaller feeders. Although it's late for the larger volume of kings, I was under the impression that there are still smaller waves of different king runs that may hit the coast at Cross Sound throughout the summer. That's what I saw fishing northern BC near Hecate Strait. Mid-August we would still see short jags of nice fish (up to 30#-40#) come through; sometimes lasting only a couple tides. And you are correct about the charter; we're going through Nordic Tug Charter for the third straight year (great outfit!). When we picked up a boat last year they gave the same advise on avoiding the rock at Deer Harbor. Apparently an earlier charter last year had that problem. I want to avoid being part of that club!

I would like to get a few bigger fish this year too. I haven't put a big effort into learning about local run timing, so I have been fishing the area when I have the time, not when the fishing for big fish has historically been good. FWIW, over the years we have caught around 50 kings between Yakobi Rock and Deer Harbor, fishing random dates in June and July. The largest was 17#, maybe 18#. I know bigger fish are caught out there, but there are either very few of them or we have yet to crack the code. We have done better with bigger fish on the inside in July; something like 10 fish between 20# and 30# over the same period with about half as many rod-hours. We spent all of our king fishing time on the outside the last three years, but this year my vote will be to spend most of our king fishing time on our end of June trip on the inside.

I have been bare boat chartering with Nordic Tug Charters for about 10 years. Great outfit and great boats.

Hi Vaalar, do you hire a captain or skipper it yourself?
    Also what inside locations have been productive for you? I am usually there first wk of Aug? Soapstone? Lisanski Inlet? Three Hills?

I skipper myself. Three Hill has been consistently the best spot for us, particularly for coho in August/September. Be very careful fishing the south end on an incoming tide; the fish tend to be in tight and you can get pushed into some wash rocks if you don't have lots of eyes on the lookout. Soapstone has either been hot (rarely) or dead (usually) for me. I really like the drag on the inside, down by the marker, but I have done better on numbers of fish north of the mouth of the Cove. I caught a 25# king down by Pelican the last time I fished Lisianski. We usually also hit Pt Adolphus, Pleasant Island Reef, Eagle Point, and Homeshore.

Erik