Thread: ATV Kit?

Default ATV Kit?

I just pulled the trigger on a 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 700 today! I want to put together a kit of some sort that I can carry for quick repair, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on must have items? I am new to riding in AK as well, but I am really excited to learn! Thanks for any input!

Congrats on the new Griz! I've had my Griz since 2002 and it's never let me down and I've put through some paces.

If you haven't already, get rid of the stock tires and get some better ones. Think mud/slop as opposed to sand and rock crawling.
    12v air compressor and a good tire plug kit. Properly inflated tires. Too much air and you risk a puncture.
    A ratchet strap so you can reseat a tire to the rim if you pop a bead. Some guys use lighter fluid.
    Get some dielectric grease and put it in every electrical connection on the quad including the plug.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up good choice on the Grizz

Ditto all that Snyd said. Add duct tape and zip ties to the kit (goes without saying probably).

Mine is a 2007 I think. Best ATV ever. Watch out if you're in reverse and press the engine override button (grey, on left handlebar, on mine); it is super easy to flip that hardware right over its driver at that moment.

Now think aftermarket niceties: I have a huge backseat and luggage areas (brand or model: Big Wes) which is perfect for riding with a toddler; there is nowhere for them to fly off the bike. Also think GPS holder, hot grips/thumb, winch, and possibly plow. That's how mine is decked out.

Warn winch, tree strap or dead head strap. Green tire slime along with Snyd's recommendations. Small solar battery charger....amount of stuff in the kit depends on how far and deep you are going....

And a stretch type tow rope. In the unlikely event your stating system dies, you can tow start a Yamaha 700.
    Stretch rope works better than the winch line.

Of course you need a second quad to do the pulling.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Fender flares after you upgrade the tires

Cool!! Thanks guys! I got 26 inch Swamp Lites put on as well as the 2500 warn winch. I am going to start building my repair kit today! I can't wait to get out and have some fun!!

Here's a basic handy kit to compliment a winch http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-...3Bcat104687280

If you have to cross a creek or swamp and you sink your atv you may need to drain the clutch, engine and transmission. Some atv's need special tools to get to the drain plugs, and if you don't know where to look or don't have extra oil you may not get out or cause major damage. Carry extra oil, know where the location of your drain plugs and have the tools you need.

I also carry lots of rope one 25 foot length and a couple of 50th foot length.

I bought a 2012'-450 grizz, and knowing a would want to ride it in the cold, one of the FIRST things I realized was I had to have some grip/thumb warmers. I bought the SYMTEC(sp?) brand and installed them myself.........nice clean application, and boy are they nice...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've owned a 550 and 700 grizzly for 3 or 4 years. I carry mini jumper cables. fuses. 2.5 quarts of extra oil. something to start a fire. tire plugs and 12v compressor. hatchet. 200 ft of rope. extra gloves,safety glasses,stock cap. metric 10mm-19mm sockets, 3/8 ratchet, 3/8 extension, duct tape. 44 mag. btw you don't need special tools to drain water out of your transmission or engine. just a socket set for your engine oil drain plug. a 28" maxxis zilla tire is a really good tire for alaska, great in snow, good in mud, and light for their size. clutch work is by far the best accessory I've done to each of my grizzlies.

The reason for saying you need special tools is if you don't most people think the tools that come in the tool kid is all you need to do everything in the field. It also make the person look for the drain plugs and put a tool on it to see if it will fit. I could be wrong. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by justin262 View Post
    clutch work is by far the best accessory I've done to each of my grizzlies.
    Please explain.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Please explain.....
    Taller tires equals less torque/power. A clutch kit brings back the low end grunt. Kind of like putting lower gears in your truck differentials after putting on taller tires.

I have 27" (true 27" tall) MudMachine BiTri Claws on my 660 Griz. I put in a Outlaw Clutch Kit from Highlifter and it gave me my low end back. Best mod I made after upgrading tires/wheels.

Now if it only had EPS
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

What he said.. Keep weight in mind when you choose aftermarket tires. Tire weight chart - http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/vi...ireweightchart

I sent 2 grizzly 700 clutches and 1 550 clutch to a guy who mods the movable sheave. Google - coops clutch mod and do some reading on his website. It will tell you everything you need to know. I want to say I spent about 150$ each with shipping. I also installed a stiffer secondary clutch spring. My 550 wheelies in high and will crawl through anything. It always seemed like there was a slight lag in the throttle on any grizzly i've driven and that is gone with this clutch kit. It's always in the right "gear".

It looks like everyone else covered things pretty well. I carry the basics every time I ride, and I recommend anyone do the same. That being said though, I have never needed any of it. I have over 4000 hard miles on my 08 Grizzly 700, and it has never let me down. You made an excellent choice!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.