Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kings in Whittier?

Default Kings in Whittier?

Has anyone heard of any Kings showing up in and around Whittier?

Thanks!

I saw one jump just port side of point decision yesterday on the way back in.....no kidding. There were porpoise feeding heavily in the area. Must be some herring coming in is what I was thinking.

No kidding. Thanks Bullelkklr!

Oh really.. Might have to wet a line this weekend.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Kings will be where the baitfish are 3 years ago we caught 2 whites in the 12 to 14 lb range and a 38 lb red king on the same day off of piggot point. We were trolling at 90 to 110 feet. Find a bait ball and troll around the outside of it.I was told by a notorious King Slayer that kings will be below the bait ball and they will force them to the surface. dont know if its true but it sounds logical
    Good luck
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

I caught a silver off of Cochrane a couple days ago. Maybe that fish that I saw jump was a silver. Also saw some more salmon jumping in various locations from whittier out to montie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I caught a silver off of Cochrane a couple days ago. Maybe that fish that I saw jump was a silver. Also saw some more salmon jumping in various locations from whittier out to montie.
    I do not think you caught a Silver. If the entire mouth was black then it was a King. if not then most Likely it was a Ocean Bright Chum (Good eating from what I was told). The chum will look like a silver until they change colors. Silvers show up late July through August..

chumpic[1].gif

I caught a couple of kings in PWS this weekend, but it was slow going with a lot of hours of trolling. Hopefully things will pick up in the coming weeks. I saw some jumpers as well. Not sure what species they were, but they were salmon.

Anyone have a good way to deal with that fibrous stuff that balls up on your line when trolling? It seems like the only way to get it off is to cut the line at the leader and slide it off.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I caught a couple of kings in PWS this weekend, but it was slow going with a lot of hours of trolling. Hopefully things will pick up in the coming weeks. I saw some jumpers as well. Not sure what species they were, but they were salmon.

Anyone have a good way to deal with that fibrous stuff that balls up on your line when trolling? It seems like the only way to get it off is to cut the line at the leader and slide it off.
    C'MON! More details on these "kings"!! Deep? Out on the edge? Closer than the bottom of Knight Island? HELP US out!! I did see a jumper right past Trinity Point. Big tides didn't help my confidence....

Please!?

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    I do not think you caught a Silver. If the entire mouth was black then it was a King. if not then most Likely it was a Ocean Bright Chum (Good eating from what I was told). The chum will look like a silver until they change colors. Silvers show up late July through August..

chumpic[1].gif
    j

how does that look like a silver. Silvers have black spots on thier upper back. And silver flash on the thier tails. Also. I have caught silvers in the su drainage as early as June 20th. We used to catch them set nettin in ninilchik that early too. Pretty sure that bullellklr knows the difference too, btw

Release Lake Trout

Super easy to tell the diff between kings and silvers too. Kings have spots all over the tail, silvers only the upper half

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post

I'd bet ya the jumpers were chums heading to Esther or Port Chalmers.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Bet ya it was a dog.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd bet ya the jumpers were chums heading to Esther or Port Chalmers.
    I agree. Saw several jumpers in Perry and Wells passages last weekend. They looked like dogs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    j

how does that look like a silver. Silvers have black spots on thier upper back. And silver flash on the thier tails. Also. I have caught silvers in the su drainage as early as June 20th. We used to catch them set nettin in ninilchik that early too. Pretty sure that bullellklr knows the difference too, btw
    Every year around this time there are people who say they have caught a silver, but in the past 8 years of being a member of this forum, every single picture posted of a May silver from the Sound has in fact been a chum. It's not insulting to anyone to question whether it really was a silver - learning and sharing information is a primary reason for this forum.

It's hard to see in this picture unless you Google and blow it up. The ocean stage chum looks very much like a king. Spots and all...
    I for one am glad to get schooled on this topic before I head out in a week to try trolling PWS.
    When we used to fish Seward more often I'd see folks calling dime-bright early sea run pinks silvers all the time!
    While I haven't trolled this early in the past we did manage a few silvers later [closer in] 2 seasons ago. I plan on being down south when we try.
    Good luck to all and keep the reports coming in. I sat out most of May but June is going to be a full frontal assault every week!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    j

Now that you all put me on the spot...literally - it did not have any spots and no black in the mouth. I didn't give it much thought other than it wasn't a king so it must be a silver. Must have been a chum. I was so excited I bonked it and put it on ice. Filleted it after I pulled my pots and then back on ice. Next day I ate it and it sure tasted like a silver.

Also, the scales made a mess of my boat. Which is remindful of silvers to me. I should have paid more attention.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Now that you all put me on the spot...literally - it did not have any spots and no black in the mouth. I didn't give it much thought other than it wasn't a king so it must be a silver. Must have been a chum. I was so excited I bonked it and put it on ice. Filleted it after I pulled my pots and then back on ice. Next day I ate it and it sure tasted like a silver.
    I'd bonk a dime bright chum any day...they're dang fine fable fare!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'd bonk a dime bright chum any day...they're dang fine fable fare!!!
    Me too! Nothing wrong with a fresh chum. Though I have never caught one that tended to lose it's scales, and they also seem more slimy than the rest of the salmon.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast