Thread: Russian river in July

Default Russian river in July

Finally figured out how to post ,so here goes. I can't figure out how to start a new post so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I'll need to fish the Russian river around Cooper's Landing in July. I'll be there about two to three weeks. One guy I know uses 30# mono and Zebco reels worth about ten bucks, the next guy uses fly rods worth hundreds of dollars. Any information would be helpful.

Im of the school that cheap is good on the russian. It gets crowded. Lots of snags and fast water. If you break your several hundred dollar rod floggin the water for reds your going to be upset. If your targeting trout then a nice rod for the finesse would be nice.

I also use 25 or 30#. Its good for horsing fish in around crowds in the fast water. To each their own though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Im of the school that cheap is good on the russian. It gets crowded. Lots of snags and fast water. If you break your several hundred dollar rod floggin the water for reds your going to be upset. If your targeting trout then a nice rod for the finesse would be nice.

I also use 25 or 30#. Its good for horsing fish in around crowds in the fast water. To each their own though.
    I like cheap. Thanks for the information. Not sure it will be Zebco 202's but it will be practical gear for sure. I'm planning on staying at Princess campgrounds according to s friend who's been there I should be pretty close to the river.

Princess is close but you will still have to drive to the Russian Campground and get parking to get to the river. If you can get a reservation at the Russian it saves some time but the facilities at the Princess are great. As for the gear, it certainly is personal preference and I have seen people be successful with a wide array of gear. Having said that, I don't like to go too cheap, especially with the reel. When those fish want to run in the current, they will test your drag in a hurry. I've seen many reels and even more rods fail/break on people there. I usually take a quality reel, but one of my mid grade rods. Fly, spinning, and casting setups all work. Take what you have and are the most comfortable using. As for tackle and tactics, there are many threads on this site that cover that in great detail. Good luck to you.... Scott

I use an okuma fly rod and okuma svt reel. I think the setup cost about 100 bucks. I beat the tar out of it. Hasnt let me down and it was cheap. Rod 40 reel 60.

An Ugly Stik that is sold at Soldotna Hardware is also a great choice. 8'6'' and unbreakable.

If you want to use rod and reel. Go with a med to heavy baitcaster rod and reel. Nothing lighter than 25lb. I hate messing around with them..and youwont want to be the punchline of the crowd with fish breaking off with anything lighter or trying to run the bank with a fish. Many don't have the patience for it. I have personally seen lines get cut due to taking forever to get a fish landed. IMHO, go with 30lb and you will be good to go.

Carry plenty of flys and weights(barrel) have leaders premade and have plenty of swivels to swap out after the rocks and fish start tearing up the line.

If going with flyrod..nothing short of 8wt uglystick and same 30lb leader. Have fun.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ride a bike in. No parking fees and you can ride past all the folks waiting.

I like to use a heavy braided mainline (something like 50 lb test) attached to a barrel swivel. I put split shot on the mainline above the barrel swivel which helps to keep them from sliding. I use 17 lb stren for my leader. I like being able to break off quickly and get back to fishing if needed. I can still horse in fish just fine, but it makes it easier to break off and get back to fishing quickly. I use an Abu Garcia Baitcaster and St. Croix Triumph rods. Finally had one break last year when the line got wrapped around the tip of the rod with the other end being attached to an angry red...

Patience. Lots of it.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Patience. Lots of it.
    Aint that the truth. I must have lost 80 dollars worth of flies and lead in that high fast water last summer trying to hit the holes on the other bank. Good thing I dont have hair or I would have pulled it out.