Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: of wolves and moose

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default of wolves and moose

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ilderness.html

Found this link on adn. Apparently the photos are old, but they are amazing.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

thanks for sharing this link. amazing pictures. makes you wonder how many calves a pack like this goes through in a year.

The full video is on ewetoob and was posted here in another thread not long ago. I believe is was shot from the Denali Park road a couple years ago. Everybody's got to eat.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

http://http://www.alaskaphotographyb...ls-moose-calf/

Site where photographer has the full set of photos from 2010. He comments in detail on what they watched .

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ilderness.html

Found this link on adn. Apparently the photos are old, but they are amazing.
    Great ad for predator control if I ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The full video is on ewetoob and was posted here in another thread not long ago. I believe is was shot from the Denali Park road a couple years ago. Everybody's got to eat.
    Yes, the video is pretty intense for sure......

It still surprises me that, if I recall, there are still only two human fatalities due to wolves recorded in history.....one in AK. fairly recently, and another in Canada. A person alone and without a weapon wouldn't have a chance against a pack if they really wanted to target humans. Indeed.....they are relentless.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, the video is pretty intense for sure......

It still surprises me that, if I recall, there are still only two human fatalities due to wolves recorded in history.....one in AK. fairly recently, and another in Canada. A person alone and without a weapon wouldn't have a chance against a pack if they really wanted to target humans. Indeed.....they are relentless.
    And the way we procreate a little predation like that might do us some good, eh?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Beautiful pictures, what a moment to capture! Good for those of us toiling away in the cities to see some "real life".... I once walked smack dab into the middle of a wolf pack, was ambling up a ridge, walked around a tree and bam! 8 or 10 wolves running every which way all of a sudden. Then they got around me in a ring and started to howl...I was like "should I run or just lay down and baste myself with butter?" lol
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Fatalities perhaps, but I know there have been a lot more attacks than just two. I can think of at least two attacks in the last decade. Before the invention of the gun, fatalities were probably common, and most of them were probably children.

Its all just nature doing what it has from the start of time. The only imbalance to the whole thing is human numbers grow that is far out of proportion for nature to balance itself.Wolves were the first domesticated animal in America.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    And the way we procreate a little predation like that might do us some good, eh?
    Be the first and step up to the plate and let me film the woofs working you over. I promise to only roll film.

Still, statistically you are more likely to die from lightning strike, or get shot by some crackhead in downtown Anchorage.
    And how many people were killed last year in Ak alone in automobile accidents? The point is that we are way more dangerous to ourselves than wolves are to us.
    Wolves just do what they do. Of course it looks messy when they devour a Moose calf. All they have are teeth. If 10 of us got together and had to take down a moose using only are jaws, it wouldn't look very pretty either
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its all just nature doing what it has from the start of time. The only imbalance to the whole thing is human numbers grow that is far out of proportion for nature to balance itself.Wolves were the first domesticated animal in America.
    Got a reference for the domesticated wolf statement, Will? Weren't horses being used in NA before anyone domesticated wolves?

No imbalance either, on human pops. Plenty of starvation, fighting, etc. etc. that help reduce human numbers. Nature is always imbalanced, thus, always changing.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    If 10 of us got together and had to take down a moose using only are jaws, it wouldn't look very pretty either
    I think a moose would make pretty short work out of even 10 of us......our jaws aren't that strong and teeth as big and pointy.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    Got a reference for the domesticated wolf statement, Will? Weren't horses being used in NA before anyone domesticated wolves?

Here's just one reference, Mike:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...st_friend.html
    "In a study released Friday, a team of archaeologists presented new evidence that horses were domesticated in 3500 B.C.—about a thousand years earlier than previous estimates. What was the first domesticated animal?

The dog... How did dogs get domesticated in the first place? The first ones were basically just tame wolves."

Well this helps me appreciate today more. Happy mothers day everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Be the first and step up to the plate and let me film the woofs working you over. I promise to only roll film.
    I reckon I've firsted you at a number of things, Matt; I'm (not) really sorry the thought never occurred to me to invite you to film it.
    #Resist

My peoples pretty much stayed with dogs and canoes. Remember horses did not come to American untill after Spain hit Mexcio.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Not likely given that there was a 12,000 year stretch with no horses in the Americas until the Spaniards re-introduced them about 500 years ago. Wolves were domesticated at least 15,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

From my knowings most eastern and far north border tribes never really got on the horse bandwagon. If a few people got a horse in the summer to be sure it was eaten in the winter as the grains and grass were needed for the people to live. People who base their tribes main history on being great horse warriors are short sighted and degrade their ancestors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast