Thread: Chest-holstered pistol while floating?

Default Chest-holstered pistol while floating?

I'm curious about how well it works wearing a holster under/over a PFD. Which gear is best suited for wearing both?

Check out the chest holster on http://7xleather.com/chest_holster also give Wes a call and he will be more than happy to chat with you.
    His holster was even featured in American Handgunner. Just click on shipping/order info to get his number.

I always wear my .44 mag 4" Taurus in a chest holster either under my PFD if rafting or under my vest if just fishing. The gun is small, lightweight, and I hardly notice it while wearing it. A gun on my hip would just get in my way.

My Taurus is not an expensive, giant hand canyon that some feel you have to have to discourage a charging bear, but it sure makes me feel better especially when my family is with me.

Thanks for the responses. I've got a S&W 629 .44 magnum with a 4" barrel that rides nicely in a Bianchi nylon chest holster (looks like this one, but mine is 15 years old -- http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=4100

What PFD goes over a chest holster and still allows access to the gun in a critical situation?

Almost any PFD that has a zipper in front (faster than buckles). Just adjust so that it's comfortable. I guess you could wear the gun on the outside if you were in an area where you really felt threatened.

since no one metioned Diamond D I thought i would. Alaskan too http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/

I'll vote with AK6Pack: I have 2 "7XLeather" chest rigs and love-em. Excellent quality on leather and workmanship; double layer on back (chest side) and stainless hardware rather than plastic. Plenty of adjustment for changing situations, just a really good rig. . . Be prepared for a wait though; it took a while to get mine, he stays busy. That may have changed, as it's been close to 2 years since I got mine.

I have to second the advise on Diamond D. I carry a super redhawk alaskan .44 mag (2" barrel) in a diamond D guide's choice holster. Most comfortable holster I have ever worn and it is fully adjustable to fit the slimmest guy or a big guy with a life jacket on. They run about $160 and are worth every penny.

All of this advice sounds credible. I choose to carry my Redhawk unclipped from the holster strap (I use the standard chest holster) in a small dry bag clipped to the bar next to me - alongside my throw bag. I've tried both ways and with a little practice I found the dry bag solution to be almost as fast as the chest holster under my PFD - couple of seconds slower. My problem with under my PFD was it forces the PFD too far out for me and I'm always catching my hands on the vest - annoying and potentially problematic if it causes me to miss an important stroke. There are some creeks/rivers where I wouldn't worry too much about missing a stroke but I always do it the same way and practice weapon retrieval at least a couple of times on each trip. May not be a problem for others depending on technique.

LOL never carried a pistol and I live in the bush, I can imagine you guys practicing your quickdraw in the mirror like DeNiro.........
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I carried my 454 Casull (7 inch barrel) under my PFD last weekend while berry picking out in PWS. I have an inflatable vest so it buckles at the belly and I can reach right in to get it. I must admit that with the chest holster, rain pants and PFD on it would be hard to dig out the gun super fast.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I wear a very well fitted to me zip up life jacket that is worn at all times even though I might be able to swim faster then a silver ok I know not quite but maybe close lol in my dreams!! I wear a diamond d chest holster with a ruger redhawk Alaskan on the top of it or what ever jacket as well. if I wear a rain jacket I put it over and at half zipped it has no obstructions. I always have it and have actualy had a close bear encounter that I had to pull it yet never use it yet the bear was 15 feet away for about 10 minutes and an eighth mile and I was as comftrable and happy as possible in that position. all ways have it the easiest thing to get to and keep it secure because it does happen fast. I myself think the diamond d chest is the only way for me as it draws fast and stays dry and the best thing is it is fitted exactly to your gun.