Thread: Palmer Creek Road

Default Palmer Creek Road

Anyone know if the gate is open, yet?

Default bump

back to the top, I would like to know as well

Seems like it usually don't open until June if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I been to that area though.

It was not open as of Monday...

I ran into this problem a few years ago, and wanted to know who opens the gate. It turned out to be a local that did it for the park. I called him and he said he waits until June 1st every year to open it. Which doesnt make sense to me, it should be open for memorial day atleast. I really think he just hunts it all by himself until june 1st, but who knows.

I was going to go that way tomorrow, but with all the new snwo forget it. I know it was closed 2 weeks ago when I went and then again last week as well. I guess I will wait until June every year to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I ran into this problem a few years ago, and wanted to know who opens the gate. It turned out to be a local that did it for the park. I called him and he said he waits until June 1st every year to open it. Which doesnt make sense to me, it should be open for memorial day atleast. I really think he just hunts it all by himself until june 1st, but who knows.

NOT true..............Much of the road is single lane, with about 3 1/2 feet of snow. There is no way to turn around. It closed to Snow Machines on May 5'th The last thing that is needed is wahoooo's driving their 65 foot motorhome up there. We have people get stuck and run out of fuel, walk into town and say where is the wrecker I need a tow. There is no point in opening the gate till the road is plowed out.

There are still snow slides coming down. A few years ago people got caught on the far side of a snow slide.....and did not want to pay $6,800.00 to have the slide removed. This covers about half of the reasons to keep it closed. It is open to foot traffic, take your snowshoes.

Feel free to call Forest service or Davison Contractors.

Default Hiked 5 miles in

Made a fun day trip down to Hope today. A friend and I hiked about 5 miles in before deciding to hike back. We had a great time and passed a couple sets of black bear tracks, we also came across some Lynx tracks. I also saw my first Kenai Caribou, and found 3 wolverine dens. Honestly it was the best hunt I've ever been apart of that hasn't ended with a full fridge!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Palmer Creek Rd is opened by the Moose Pass forest service office, not a Hope local hogging it for himself. A culvert or something blew out on the road approx 1 mile up from the gate, which needs to be repaired before they open the road from what it sounds. I don't know when that might happen though, or how bad the damage is; best bet would be to call that office for updates. This was the latest I heard about a week ago.

Was closed today Sat. June 1'st

We are getting ready to put a bunch of land and cabins on the market in that area, so we were in the big Hope city.

FYI the road supposedly opened last Friday, with 2 culverts replaced. I heard there was still snow past the campground and was not open past that, but with this heat I'm sure it melted fast!