View Poll Results: How important is it to wield the wood shampoo?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • HUGE: If I can't kill it, I ain't fishin'..... PERIOD

24 22.64%
  • CONSIDERABLE: It upsets me to have to release a perfectly edible fish, but I'd still go.

22 20.75%
  • SMALL: Bonkin' a keeper is a nice bonus, I'm out there to experience the fish

43 40.57%
  • INCONSEQUENTIAL: I could care less about fish in the box, I live to C&R

17 16.04%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question..... HOW MUCH

Default Serious question..... HOW MUCH

.... is the experience diminished by withholding the wood shampoo?

C'mon folks, is it really all about the dead fish in the box?

How big an impact would NON-retention make in your decision to keep fishing?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc,

It is not important all all however that being said being the generation that grew up with Catch the Largest Bass, Trout, Pan Fish, Pike etc... or Trophy Bucks the secrets and Hot Spots to some it is all important. Welcome to Sports Afield, Field and Stream, Fin Fur and Feathers etc... and so on and so forth.

I had a distant cousin visit me one summer to assist guiding and one of his most frequent comments is I hope to be able to shoot a 60 inch Moose, a double shovel Caribou and a 60 lbs King. So we had the conversation about the Sporting Magazines and how it is all about marketing and selling their product as well as advertising dollars and promotion of usable products again about the dollars and that just having the chance to go out and enjoy Hunt or Fishing Trip and let the chips fall where they may is much more rewarding than having to harvest the most, best or biggest of anything.

His comment back to me: I need to fill my trophy room. There are lots of people who will fish or hunt till the allow limit is reached and of course most of us are or eventually become a direct reflection from to which we came from i.e. our parents. I feel lucky I never have liked to eat fish much so C&R was easy for me. I did not take a higher road nor do I normally promote it to others it is I just don't like to eat fish love to catch them though.

So more to the point - IMO about half of the people out there would tell you YES it is important to put Da Fishey's in the Box! Sure a lot of people over harvest and sure sometimes there is waste at the end of a long season i.e. you can only eat so much however if NO Retention is put into place some folk's will just no go fishing that or target a different species so that may retain their catch.

RMM

Thumbs down Dumb question . . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    .... is the experience diminished by withholding the wood shampoo?

C'mon folks, is it really all about the dead fish in the box?

Shirley, you jest!

You ask whether the "experience" is diminished by not fishing for food? A better question is whether the experience is diminished by Catch-and-Release.

In either case, it's a stupid question, because fishing for food is a totally different experience than is Catch-and-Release because intent defines the experience. Catch-and Release folks just can't seem to get it through their heads that, for some of us at least, Catch-and-Release is not fishing.

“To live, we must daily break the body and shed the blood of Creation. When we do this knowingly, lovingly, skillfully, reverently, it is a sacrament. When we do it ignorantly, greedily, clumsily, destructively, it is a desecration (emphasis added)."

—Wendell Berry

Put a cork in it, Doc, . . to each his own and all that. For me and maybe more, Catch-and-Release is not fishing!

Talking

I should be ILLEGAL to fish more than 3 miles from your personal residence. Further there needs to be a check-point just before Ingram Creek May 1'st through Oct. 30'th No one allowed onto the Kenai Peninsula who can not prove their KPB residency based on PFD records. The fee to enter the KPB shall be $375.00. Anyone being cranky shall be terminated and legal for bear BAIT.

With proper marketing (READ: Just say the money is for schools on the KPB).

Which raises the question WHY does the KPB not have a pipeline tax on their property, so we can tax the snot out of those filthy wealthy Anchorage residence. This also can be marketed by saying the money is for children and schools on the KPB.

We know almost to the pound how much of each species of fish we need in the freezer each year. Once it's there, I'm not killing any more. No sense quitting fishing, any more than there is in killing fish and hunting for people to give them to.

I would have voted inconsequential for the sake that I both fish C&R but also fish to eat. However that type of fishing is pre determined BEFORE I go out. If I am fishing for food it's a completely different mindset and intent than C&R like Marcus said. However I am not one for others(you) placing their moral superiority on others (non C&R)because they enjoy the outdoors in a different way than you. You have made this clear many many times here on this forum that is your stance.

Is it really about besting the fish? Mastery over an animal with a brain smaller than a pea? Isn't there a video game for that kind of thrill which doesn't jeopardize the salmon being able to spawn... if indeed that is why you do not want to administer "the wood shampoo"?

I fish to eat fish, and only those fish which I can't legally keep get returned gently. For me; no keep, why bother?
    Fishing is not a game for me. And while I am more than amicable to those who want to play with fish, I get crotchety when they go elitist on me.

I have fished countless hours for kings with no intention of keeping one. On days when I am looking for a "bonker," I have certain criteria I'm looking for, and will release until I achieve that. Those criteria may shift as the season gets later, but usually are bright, good sized, firm flesh. And always if fatally hooked. Sometimes I go home empty handed. I have never been a pure C&R guy for kings, by any stretch! The main motivation for releasing often was that to keep one meant I had to quit fishing; therefor I released. I do have far more photos of released trophy kings than kept ones; a great photo is a trophy that remains forever.

I love the taste of that first of the year king salmon on the grill. I love to open the smoker and see the fatcicles hanging off the smoker rack, and inhaling the fragrance of the freshly smoked king. I love to open the freezer in January and take out a package of smoked fish, or a fillet to put in the oven. I also love the arm jolting tail kick of a revived king when he leaves my hand.

I'm not the only one of a kind. There are many fishermen like me, who enjoy the entire experience, and are addicted to catching kings. I don't fish just to keep fish; but I want the option to keep. My priorities have changed now that I have a family; time spent afield is more valuable, so I fish more to keep than to release when I king fish. Releasing a fish I know will die because of my hook really goes against the grain. This is why I always favor step down actions that still allow some retention and some fishing, to measures that allow only hook and release. There's also the issue of mixed stocks: when king fishing is completely closed, often the water they're in is closed to all fishing, for all species. Summers in Alaska mean fishing; its a tough pill to take when fishing is taken away.

Simply reading the question, how it was worded and the options available should tell you that. Look at the Huge option huge because if I can't kill it it's not fishing period? Really How About huge because I prefer to eat natural species with no additives that are good for you over farm raised stuff bought in the stores. And the opposite side of the spectrum is because you LIVE to C&R? The question was loaded from the beginning with the bogus options. Again re read some of his previous posts and it won't take long to see what I am talking about

Guess I just don't see the point of either of you judging one another on how or why you fish.
    It's like bowhunters vs. gun hunters....WHO CARES.
    Your both doing what you want, not hurting anyone else, being legal, on and on.
    Seems like allot of bickering over nothing and you two obvioulsy have a an axe to grind with eath other then.

For the record, I enjoy fishing but rarely keep anything, except halibut or a couple reds to smoke.
    It's the act of fishing I enjoy, doesn't matter if I am C & R or putting a coule in the boat....I'm addicted to it.
    Hope neither of you think less of me for it, not that I give a darn though one way or the other.
    BK

Totally depends on the species. I don't know that I would make many trips down to the Peninsula to catch and release sockeye and almost certainly not for kings, but for fish such as grayling and char, retention has little to do with the equation. I voted "small", but it is highly species-dependent.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Guess I just don't see the point of either of you judging one another on how or why you fish.
    It's like bowhunters vs. gun hunters....WHO CARES.
    I think is a little different because when you're talking about hunting, something always dies.

Chasing mountain lions and bears with hounds, then taking photos without killing them is a little better analogy. I know guys who do that down south, they find it rewarding and the freezer is still empty.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Probably pretty big..... I like to fish a lot, but given the opportunity to fish or hunt, I would rather hunt. I don't dip net. Not only because I refuse to deal with the rat race, but because I love the feel of a red on the end of a fly rod......plus I just don't need a hundred reds. I never go fishing with the intent to release them. I go fishing to catch fish to eat, as I pretty much love to eat all manner of fish. So if I couldn't keep the fish I caught, I doubt I'd fish much. C&R has always been "incidental" for me.... a tiny rainbow, a king that is just too red, a halibut that is too small...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I vote 'none of the above'.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I dont spend a lot of time fishing kings (Im assuming thats why this poll was started) but what I do catch I keep it (although I have made a personal agreement to release any giants for the spawning brood, if its 35lbs and under though is going in the box). It is by far my families favorite table fare along with halibut/ling cod. If I cant fish for them I will just spend my time catching something that will allow me to feed the family with it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I should be ILLEGAL to fish more than 3 miles from your personal residence. Further there needs to be a check-point just before Ingram Creek May 1'st through Oct. 30'th No one allowed onto the Kenai Peninsula who can not prove their KPB residency based on PFD records. The fee to enter the KPB shall be $375.00. Anyone being cranky shall be terminated and legal for bear BAIT.

With proper marketing (READ: Just say the money is for schools on the KPB).

Which raises the question WHY does the KPB not have a pipeline tax on their property, so we can tax the snot out of those filthy wealthy Anchorage residence. This also can be marketed by saying the money is for children and schools on the KPB.
    Fair enough, if it's reciprocal. Anyone living north or south of Los Anchorage pays the $375 toll?

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Fair enough, if it's reciprocal. Anyone living north or south of Los Anchorage pays the $375 toll?

I would propose it should be free to enter LosAnchorage, but those wishing to exit, in any direction, should pay the toll...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Hard to answer this one. I started dipnetting a while back and it took the urgency out of fishing for food. But at the same time I found my attitude changing anyway, and even with hunting. Maybe it's my age? Maybe I'm just "tired of all the killing and burning", to borrow a phrase. I can sit on the bank for hours and watch other people do it, fire up the truck and head for home without even getting a rod out. And not feel a shred of a sense of loss over it.

When I whack a fresh sockeye on the head and see it's eyes instantly dilate, I realize I have taken something I can never give back. To me all life is precious. I mean, imagine the frenzy if we discovered one mosquito on another planet. Just one. What that would do, the ripple effect it would have on this planet, where hardly a barren square inch is to be found. On the other hand, of course we have to kill to eat. Right now I have a rockfish fillet thawing out in the fridge from a fish I killed last summer. Sauteed with some garlic and butter... nice! I guess I'm not down on killing, but I am very aware of how serious it is. And I'm not sure how much more time I want to spend helping fish burn off glycogen reserves as they fight for their lives for my enjoyment, if I'm not killing them for food.

My first grandchild will be born any day now, perhaps even today. What lessons will I teach? Certainly I will teach them where food comes from, and the silliness of believing that putting other people between me and the things I eat means I have no hand in the killing. I hope to be with them amid the blood and guts, while they are learning about killing and eating. Fishing for fun was part of my growing up, and I want my grandchildren to have that experience. But there are important lessons to be taught too, while they are making sweet memories they will savor later in life, as I do. As we all do.

Can I teach my grandchildren to respect life even as we have inflicted a form of suffering on a fish we are releasing, a fish we had no intention of eating in the first place? Ahhh... that's a question worth pondering.

It's a strange place to be.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I would propose it should be free to enter LosAnchorage, but those wishing to exit, in any direction, should pay the toll...
    Yes, but what if they spent the toll money at Costco? Perhaps a refugee camp somewhere? Or perhaps community service?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Perhaps a refugee camp somewhere?
    Is that not already the very definition of LosAnchorage?
    #Resist

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast