Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Rock Fish Lures

  1. #1

    Default Rock Fish Lures

    So I am ok at finding some animals to shoot, but totally clueless on anything fishing related. What might be some good lures to pick up if trying for some shallow water rockfish (less than 60 ft). Not going for any whoppers but a couple to help fill the dinner plate while my wife and I spend 6 days in a bay out in PWS and give us a chance at catching a couple would be fun. So what lures do you suggest we use to jig with?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Well. Head to B&J's and pick up any of the 4 - 8 ounce jigs. Cripple Herring jigs. Butterfly jigs, Diamond jigs or just about anything will work. Fish a little deeper and you could catch a little more too. Rock fish are a blast.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  3. #3
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Crippled herring jigs are my favorite.Purple and gold or a silver gold are my most productive color.My wife will say different she allways goes for pink and white.Love jigging for rock fish and man are they some good eating!

  4. #4
    Member fishingyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    538

    Default Jig

    3-4 inch white skirts on a 3 oz or so jig head killed me for us last summer. My buddy used to live/long line for just about everything down on Kodak and says the best luer for black bass is a plain hook with a 4-6inch black shoe lace tied to it

  5. #5
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Well. Head to B&J's and pick up any of the 4 - 8 ounce jigs. Cripple Herring jigs. Butterfly jigs, Diamond jigs or just about anything will work. Fish a little deeper and you could catch a little more too. Rock fish are a blast.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed, honestly I don't think I've found a jig that won't catch a rock fish. You can add smaller lead heads to the list with grub tails, shads or pretty much any plastic with some motion. Buzz bombs, any of the heavier spoons, etc.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  6. #6
    Member Trakn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    241

    Default

    http://www.snapperslapperlures.com/S...per_Lures.html
    These are killer on Yellow Eye and some of the deeper rockfish,,, they can't resist. Soldotna Hardware has them most years in the 7oz. which is what you'll want.

  7. #7
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    http://www.snapperslapperlures.com/S...per_Lures.html
    These are killer on Yellow Eye and some of the deeper rockfish,,, they can't resist. Soldotna Hardware has them most years in the 7oz. which is what you'll want.
    Looks familir almost the same as the ones I make.



    these are the newest ones and I think they will be killer.Kachemak Candy in various sizes. 1,2,3,4,6,and 8oz for rockfish.


    A charter captain friend of mine swears by the 4oz flutter jig in white. I can make those for him but I am giving him some of my 4oz Kachemak Candy in white and chrome. I think he will like mine better.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Like the others said, crippled herring or really any jig with some flash will work. Rockfish aren't picky, and those near-shore little guys are a tasty blast!


  9. #9
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So I am ok at finding some animals to shoot, but totally clueless on anything fishing related. What might be some good lures to pick up if trying for some shallow water rockfish (less than 60 ft). Not going for any whoppers but a couple to help fill the dinner plate while my wife and I spend 6 days in a bay out in PWS and give us a chance at catching a couple would be fun. So what lures do you suggest we use to jig with?

    Thanks
    Lujons with the red strip on one side always worked great for us, but anything flashy can do it.

  10. #10
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Looks familir almost the same as the ones I make.



    these are the newest ones and I think they will be killer.Kachemak Candy in various sizes. 1,2,3,4,6,and 8oz for rockfish.


    A charter captain friend of mine swears by the 4oz flutter jig in white. I can make those for him but I am giving him some of my 4oz Kachemak Candy in white and chrome. I think he will like mine better.
    WOW, that's a killer deal: 32 jigs for two bucks! How much extra for rigging?

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  11. #11
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default

    +1 on the Crippled Herring. Took some to Kodiak last summer and every time we dropped them down on rockfish, we caught fish. We caught fish on other lures, but the Crippled Herring outperformed everything, hands-down. I bought some more for our trip to Southeast this summer.

    The main thing is to avoid getting hung up. Drop it to the bottom and reel up a few cranks. Most rockfish are not right on the bottom anyway; they are suspended. With black rockfish, they can be found suspended anywhere from close to the bottom to mid-depth and even at the surface.

    -Mike

    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  12. #12

    Default

    I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a jig they won't eat. I doubt one could be invented though, without going BIG.

    I once had a client rig a powdered sugar donut on a hook, and catch a black bass. Then he tried a whole banana. Same result....

  13. #13
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    WOW, that's a killer deal: 32 jigs for two bucks! How much extra for rigging?

    -Mike
    Actually Mike All those jigs are being given away for free or already have been given away for free.
    The rigging was not included though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I was doing a figure-eight on top the water to check out the action of a new lure and as I lifted the lure out of the water a rockfish blasted up from lower depths and nailed it in mid-air!

    I'm a writer; you guys know I only pen the truth...

    Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"


  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a jig they won't eat. I doubt one could be invented though, without going BIG.

    I once had a client rig a powdered sugar donut on a hook, and catch a black bass. Then he tried a whole banana. Same result....
    Ain't that the truth. We just save all our old stuff from flies to spinners and spoons, then rig them on a leader above weights we cast ourselves. Only way to keep the OFF the hook is to use something too big for them. And a lotta times it has to be bigger than they are to be too big. Those guys are life support systems for mouths.

  16. #16
    Member NeverLand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year
    Posts
    216

    Default

    As long as you have enough weigh to take the jig down, it will catch rockfish.
    I brought a whole bag of jigs that I used for strippers in the Cheasapeke Bay, they all worked for rockfish. Then again, in the mid-Atlantic they call strippers rockfish.

  17. #17
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a jig they won't eat. I doubt one could be invented though, without going BIG.

    I once had a client rig a powdered sugar donut on a hook, and catch a black bass. Then he tried a whole banana. Same result....
    Rockfish remind me of seagulls. Not really much they won't eat. I think this year, I'm gonna try putting some silver salmon milt on a hook and see it they will take it. Salmon Milt is the only thing that I've fed to a seagull that they refuse to eat. A little trivia. How many hard boiled eggs does it take to feed a seagull before he's too heavy to fly away. The anwser is 12

  18. #18
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    For rockfish the only thing you will need is a hook with enough weight to get it to go down.
    One of my favorite lures to use if not fishing with much current or wind is the small "storm" rubber shad looking jigs. They are light so they sink slowly just let it freespool out and when it stops it's because a fish grabbed it. They don't usually make it to the bottom before something grabs it.

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  19. #19

    Default

    Thanks for all the help guys...got about 15 mins of sun during our 6 days out in PWS but made the most of it rain or shine. My wife had a ball catching these guys.


  20. #20
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    +1 for the "storm" wildeye swim chads!...white glow or pearl, rockfish love them things...
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •