Thread: Yamaha 115 FS Limp Mode Alarm HELP!

Angry Yamaha 115 FS Limp Mode Alarm HELP!

So, I got my baot back from the local Yamaha Hewes dealer and we loaded her up with a few days of gear for the weekend. Launched at Whittier and headed out. Boy did she run great. Got about 3 miles out and my starboard motor alarm went off and went into limp mode. I checked the battery cables and every electrical connection I could find. Everything is fine. When the motor is at running temp, it will not run over 2000 RPM before the alarm/limp mode goes off again. If I let it cool down for 15 minutes or so, it will run great for a few then back to limp mode. So, after messing around in Passage for an hour, I gave up and brought her home.
    So, any ideas on what it could be? Bad voltage regulator? Oil pump? Some silly sensor?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I wish I had a magic wand...I'd go over to your place and wave it over that sucker and that would be that. I'm clueless as far as a real fix goes..just so sorry you're having this grief especially after all that good work you did on your boat getting it ready for this season. Fingers crossed for a cheap easy fix.

Thanks. I'm not finding much online either. Mostly bad battery cables, water in the separators, or starving fuel. I've already checked those. Gonna talk to Dewey's in the morning and hope that the computer took a code for this. Oh well. Bummed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MMSI# 338232859

I think you need to check the water bypass valve. If its bad the the motor will be pissing water like everything cooling but in reality the valves not allowing that water in to the cooling jacket intern over heating and setting you in to limp mode. Just an idea....

Is it pissing water? The Yammie has some small coolant lines to cool the fuel rail, they can get plugged easily, ask me how I know.....
    If its pissing then this is not the prob, if not pissing you can remove the cowl and you will see the lines connected to the fuel rail, 3/16 or 1/4 ID, they can get plugged with sand.....remove and clean, blow out w/ compressed air or use a piece of wire....generally will take a lot to plug them but have seen it happen

otherwise maybe a water pump
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    I think you need to check the water bypass valve. If its bad the the motor will be pissing water like everything cooling but in reality the valves not allowing that water in to the cooling jacket intern over heating and setting you in to limp mode. Just an idea....
    Where is the water bypass valve? Both motors are pissing just fine. Brand new lowers and water pumps.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Where is the water bypass valve? Both motors are pissing just fine. Brand new lowers and water pumps.
    Let me first say some call it the poppet valve as well, in case you start looking around and can not find anything on a water bypass valve. Next I believe not sure since I've only worked on a friends yammie engine, I think the manual or parts dealers call them pressure control kit or the like. They really a cheap part around 20 bucks. If anything pull it and see if the spring, gasket or little rubber tip look bad replace it. You will see your water pressure gauge thank you! As for location... What year is your motor? It could either be on the back right lower of the block or under the rear wire loom... I'd have to see it to find it.. As I'm not a certified mechanic by any means. Is your boat in eagle river?

Hmmm. I'll take a look for something like that. It's a 2005. Yep. Live in eagle river. Just off the loop road
    MMSI# 338232859

It should be two bolts holding it down, prob 10mm. With a 3/4 " hose into it. I'm in town for a fundraiser, should be back to ER by 1ish. If you need a hand or another set of eyes to find it. Give me a call, my number is 727-9409, names Rob. That should be easy to remember

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I think you will find when Dewey's put it back together they did something wrong that causing the engine to over heat. Like not making sure the water lines are clear of junk. Next time see how hot the water it is coming out of engine #1 & 2 pee hole. They will be the same if everything is working properly.

Well just dropped it off at Dewey's. they are gonna check it out. They think it's the oil pump. Should have it fixed in a couple hours. Lol. Yeah right!
    MMSI# 338232859

Keep us informed on how it works out. I would like to know what the problem was. I interested in how an oil pump would kick you in to lump mode on when hitting normal operating temps. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    Keep us informed on how it works out. I would like to know what the problem was. I interested in how an oil pump would kick you in to lump mode on when hitting normal operating temps. Good luck!
    Low oil pressure alarm triggers limp mode too, if pump can't make pressure at RPM it will do it..
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Ok. Final update. They tested the oil pressure today "not sure why this wasn't done last week" but it was very low after it warmed up. Pulled the power head and found the oil pump splines stripped. Must have been from the hard hit and stalling of the motors. So. They are going to replace both motors oil pumps next week. Hoping to be over this issue soon. Summer is going to fly by too fast for boat problems.

MMSI# 338232859

Would you like to be able to read your Yamaha computer codes?

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...i-th15867.html

Wow. That's a cool link. Thanks

MMSI# 338232859

I hope they get you back on the water soon, Rob. Glad we bumped into at the dock Friday. We delivered the cooler and rack to the oyster farm on Saturday morning. Man those oysters are tasty!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks again. I owe ya. We will be up and running later this week but won't be headed out again until the 24th. I'll be glad to get all this trouble behind us and enjoy the summer
    MMSI# 338232859