Thread: Backstop ideas?

Default Backstop ideas?

Want to build a decent looking back stop for my back yard, and have done searches, but was wondering if any locals had any good ideas? My shed will be the ultimate back stop, but I wanted to build something nice to protect it, in the case (when) the kids or I miss the target. I kinda don't want it to be an eye sore for my neighbors, or the wife. Thanks.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

I am planning to build one from a swingset frame. I have the two A-frames from the ends of an old swingset. Bolt in a 2x10 between them and hang a 4x8 sheet (or two depending on the width you want) of thick foam with old carpet on the back side. By hanging it, it will absorb a lot more power than a fixed backstop. A good chunk of the energy will be absorbed by the movement of the backstop.

Sheet of 3/4" CDX will make a good back stop and help keep from poking holes in the shed. Frame it with some 2x4s to give a little distance from the shed wall in case you poke throw with a broadhead. Make a 2x4 frame with a foot stand and hang a couple plastic feed sacks inside the frame. Stuff the feed sacks full with an tarp and all those plastic Fred Meyer/Walmart bags your wife saves. You can get the feed sacks at PetZoo for free unless you tell them you're using it for a target and then they cost a dollar. Use two sacks per target and when you start shooting the center out then slide it into a new feed sack.

Go to the gravel pit and see if they have any old conveyor belt. Suspend this and it makes an awesome backstop.

So does heavy rubber horse stall mat hung behind your target.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.