Thread: 1600 lb Man Eating Grizzly Killed in Alaska

Default 1600 lb Man Eating Grizzly Killed in Alaska

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Got any pictures of the tall tale bear Taiga?

Do a google image search for "man eating grizzly". It's the first two results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Gosh no, Mr. Jack. But I've seen 'em on the internet, which is the reason I'm buying one of these!:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I know the guy that shot the bear was a forum member here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ted's a friend of mine and still in the Air Force. Forum member Ovis was with Ted on that hunt. I got to see the full body mount. It's a big bear.

Poor guy still gets pestered about killing the Giant Man-Eater of Hitchenbrook
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I wonder about the skull size of bears that die after a long life in a zoo such as the 2,000# in the article.

For those of us who know Jim and Ted it has been a long weird trip! Still remember the week they got back to town and it was a nice bear. Shame it went Viral so fast and for so long.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Here's a link to photos:
    http://www.montanahunting.org/1600lb...led-in-alaska/
    Looks like it's on snopes too.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I thought the story was going to be about the death of a 1600lb man that ate Grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Here's a link to photos:
    http://www.montanahunting.org/1600lb...led-in-alaska/
    Looks like it's on snopes too.
    That's it! For a tall tale like that I was at least expecting an impressive looking bear! That bear looks like a 9 footer to me.

Forum member Jimmy Urban was next to him when the bear shot and hopefully he will chime in.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Forum member Jimmy Urban was next to him when the bear shot and hopefully he will chime in.
    Well, I didn't intend to offend anyone. Certainly a 9 or 10 footer it is a respectable bear. I just don't understand what all the hype is about. To me that bear looks just like any other respectable bear. I was just expecting a world record status bear.

Well, I didn't intend to offend anyone. Certainly a 9 or 10 footer it is a respectable bear. I just don't understand what all the hype is about. To me that bear looks just like any other respectable bear. I was just expecting a world record status bear.
    Thats the problem,a very nice bear was taken and internet trolls have taken it way past the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Ted's a friend of mine and still in the Air Force. Forum member Ovis was with Ted on that hunt. I got to see the full body mount. It's a big bear.
    How did he have it mounted...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Standing. He thought about an all-fours/fishing pose to commemorate what the bear was doing just before his demise but practicality won over. The bear is on a 4' x 4' pedestal with casters so it takes up less floor space and can be moved more easily.

I too was looking forward to seeing a story about a man killed whom only ate grizzy bears for breakfast!

Chris

Wow, not sure I am more surprised 12 years later the papers are still so bored they have to write about this, or the fact the author called my photos "distorted."

I think I've done all the myth debunking I could on the forums during the earlier years, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

Erik, you are right, the bear mount was on a castor mounted habitat, but it was on all fours, not upright on the rear two. I saw the mount shortly after Rich completed it, and then again after Ted agreed to do an interview with NatGeo, or some other big name network, but by then his dogs had made a meal of the mount. He was never a pretty bear to begin with, but it was a shame to see it ruined like it was.

Well...so much for my memory. For the life of me I could've sworn that mount was standing.

Thanks for the correction Jim.