Thread: Hydraulic Pot Pullers

Default Hydraulic Pot Pullers

Looking for advice from any of the other guys who fish pots on this forum.

I went and picked up a pot shrimp permit for here in SE AK. I've got a line on a stack of 42" Lander pots, so I'll probably be using those. I'll be fishing out of my 35' Delta boat. It'll be strings of 10 pots, 10 strings, and a rather intense/short 3 week season. Pulling daily. Plan on getting some IFQ in the future too, so would like to use the hauler for that too. (smaller scale)

What kind of hydraulic pot puller do you guys like? I've got some heavy duty aluminum davits.. Do you like a hanging hauler? Or one mounted directly to the davit? What's the advantage/disadvantage of the two? 10" or 12"? Do you hang the hauler from the end of the davit? The guy I bought my permit from used a 10", and said it was more than enough.. but looking for other perspectives, as I want to get the right stuff, the first time around. What type of hydraulic controls/lines do you like? Hydraslave? Kholstrand?

Thanks guys.. I'm new to the pot stuff, on a larger scale.

Start with what you'll be using for a hydro pump off the engine and design from there on to the hauler. If you don't have enough pump it doesn't matter what you have for a hauler, it ain't gonna work. I myself wouldn't even consider having the hauler hanging off the davit but thats me. I built a 10" hauler for my bowpicker and it worked fine, the boat i have now has a 12" all stainless with a 24 gal. pump that is directly driven off the front of my diesel no belts to slip/stretch/squeal and i really like it but it cost the former owner of my boat $6500 !! When i was boat shopping i wanted a 14" but couldn't find a boat for sale with one.
    Any good system is going to cost you, both hydroslave and kolstrand make good stuff, buy what you can get parts for locally. Every boat and boat owner rigs his boat a bit differently, one hauler/davit doesn't fit them all, what you may like might be totally no good for me or my boat. You've got to figure how/where your going to haul from, where you'll work the pots and how you set them back out. Good luck with your new fishery and post some pictures of the rigging when you get it installed.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I had a Vickers pump with integral oil tank off my main with a Hydroslave hauler (I think 10") mounted directly on the davit on two of my boats I installed myself. Like Steve, I wouldn't hang the hauler, it's really handy to have it mounted on the davit so you can tail the line directly in a tub or garbage can like I used. I used 1/4" goldline so it was really compact and got at least 3 sets for deep water (600 ft.) in a garbage can for 10 pots with a lower section of 1/2" poly for the pots. I also used it for longlining halibut and it worked fine, at least the Orcas like it. One thing I did was spend a bit extra for a combo relief/control valve that was adjustable so speed could be controlled. I also mounted it low on the davit so I could control it with my knee leaving my hands free. One my second boat I did the same thing as I was happy with the first installation. The only thing I changed was going with a stainless sheave instead of steel as the steel rusted up a bit, not a problem on a commercial boat but looks nasty on one you're proud of. BTW, I have a spare clutch coil for the Vickers if you get a need for one.

Thanks.. I see some "used" hanging pullers for sale on craigslist and such... Its it possible to mount a hanging puller right to the davit? Or do I need a hauler made specifically for that purpose..

BTW, here's my boat. Not the biggest, but if I take the totes off, i have a nice flat deck for a workspace. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

I'm thinking the davit right next to the outside steering/controls would be the place to put it? The hydros are pretty much right there.

Take a look at how the crabbers down in Oregon and around your area are set up. It has been working good for over 50 years. Most have the davit STBD side just aft of the cabin and a dump box/sorting table just aft of that.

Here is one more.

I would second the recommendation to use a fixed mounted block rather than a hanging one. You can set it up to coil straight into a garbage can, so nobody has to coil it in. I don't have one myself, but I've heard from the hydraulic shop that the sheaves on a 12" block are better than a 10" because there's a bigger 'sweet spot' for the diameter of the line, and you'll get less slippage with a bigger block if you can swing it.

I would go for a harbor walk, and talk to a welder about converting your davit to allow a fixed mounted block. You can also mount a hydraulic valve right to the davit, which could make for a really easy system overall.

Good luck, whether sport or commercial, hydraulic is just so much better for shrimp gear if you ask me.

Start here and build your way back20130512_103858[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    I would second the recommendation to use a fixed mounted block rather than a hanging one. You can set it up to coil straight into a garbage can, so nobody has to coil it in. I don't have one myself, but I've heard from the hydraulic shop that the sheaves on a 12" block are better than a 10" because there's a bigger 'sweet spot' for the diameter of the line, and you'll get less slippage with a bigger block if you can swing it.

I would go for a harbor walk, and talk to a welder about converting your davit to allow a fixed mounted block. You can also mount a hydraulic valve right to the davit, which could make for a really easy system overall.

Good luck, whether sport or commercial, hydraulic is just so much better for shrimp gear if you ask me.
    If the rope is slipping its because the plates are either they are worn or the shims need to be changed or adjusted. Bigger plates will pull faster due to more diameter but you need a stronger hydraulic motor to drive them and then you need more pump to drive the motor.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692