Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Transportation question

  1. #1
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Transportation question

    I never gave much thought to this until now and its really got me curious especially after reading regs on possession limits and freezing etc etc etc.

    Say me and a couple buddies are out fishing. We usually try to travel light and only bring 1 cooler. We traveled separately they came down a day after us. We all take limits of fish, fillet it, put it in bags then stick it in the cooler. They take off and go home in their car. We leave a few hours later or the next day after breaking down camp etc. and we now have our limit plus their limit to travel home with in our 1 cooler.

    This is a situation that does happen with my group of friends because some of work different shifts and just had out fishing when they get off with only a rod.

    Does this become a problem if questioned by a trooper? Is there a way to legally handle this kind of situation? Worst case scenario we can start packing an extra cooler to avoid stuff like this but I like to not take unnecessary stuff with me.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    With game meat you can fill out a transfer of possession form, but I'm not sure if a similar process for fish would keep one from exceeding possession limits.

  3. #3
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    You can't legally possess someone else's catch (unpreserved) without the T. of P. form....at which point it counts against your possession limit. I'd tell your buds to buy a cooler.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  4. #4
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Can you just get those forms from fish and game?

    Like I said we can carry an extra cooler but sometimes its a matter of... hey I gotta get back and dont have time to deal with this fish. Would you throw it in a bag and drop it off on the way home?

    I know this probably sounds fishy (no pun intended) but when you have a group of people it easier to keep down on the clutter by only carrying what you need.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  5. #5

    Default

    The answer to your question is here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...CStatewide.pdf "
    Possession of sport-caught fish (except halibut):

    (a) Sport-caught fish, their parts, and articles manufactured from such fish may be possessed within the state by any person at any time, and may be transported within and exported out of the state by any person at any time except that no person may possess any unpreserved fish (definition of preserved fish is on page 5), or part of one, not legally taken by himself, unless he furnishes, upon request of any peace officer of the state, a statement signed by the person taking the fish stating the type of fish, number of fish, location, date taken, and license number. The statement is unnecessary if the person possessing the fish is accompanied by the person who took the fish. No person may possess fish which were not legally taken.
    "

  6. #6
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The answer to your question is here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...CStatewide.pdf "
    Possession of sport-caught fish (except halibut):

    (a) Sport-caught fish, their parts, and articles manufactured from such fish may be possessed within the state by any person at any time, and may be transported within and exported out of the state by any person at any time except that no person may possess any unpreserved fish (definition of preserved fish is on page 5), or part of one, not legally taken by himself, unless he furnishes, upon request of any peace officer of the state, a statement signed by the person taking the fish stating the type of fish, number of fish, location, date taken, and license number. The statement is unnecessary if the person possessing the fish is accompanied by the person who took the fish. No person may possess fish which were not legally taken.
    "
    That clears it up quite a bit. A simple piece of paper can pretty much fix any problem I may run into. Thanks. Rep sent.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  7. #7

    Default

    I think there is a transfer form on the back page of the regs.

  8. #8
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I think there is a transfer form on the back page of the regs.
    copy that. Ill take a peek at the paper regs. I usually just read em online.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    copy that. Ill take a peek at the paper regs. I usually just read em online.
    The transfer of possession form is on the last page of the online regs as well if you just want to download them and print it out (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...3scregbook.pdf)

  10. #10
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The transfer of possession form is on the last page of the online regs as well if you just want to download them and print it out (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...3scregbook.pdf)
    Sahweet! Thanks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  11. #11
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,839

    Default

    what about for halibut?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •