Thread: Jonah bay and anchoring

Default Jonah bay and anchoring

I was curious if anyone has been able to get there "ocean boat" into Jonah bay in unakwik inlet? I am planning a hunting/shrimping trip there for the 17-19 and Jonah bay looked really nice to anchor in. After studying the charts it seems as though it may be possible to enter or leave only on high tide. If I can not get the boat in there I still plan on entering it with the zodiac and doing some exploring. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I have been in there many times. It is a very secure anchorage. The cruising guide explains how to enter it. It is advisable to enter near high slack. The tide really rips through there. It is a fantastic bay to photograph otters and their pups. I have seen several hundred at a time in there. Prepare to have lots of company.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

is there anywhere in anchorage that I can pick up this cruising guide????

Tidal wave books usually has them.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Joebut1985, Are you guys going to be in PWS this weekend? We are about to head out in a couple hours. We will be back where we passed ya a few weeks ago most of the time with a side trip to the oyster farm and a little fishing.
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob B, I am trying my hardest to get out this weekend. Unfortunately its up to the wife as this is her weekend(mothers day). I'm trying to convince here that nothing beats a day on the water but im definitely going out the following weekend for a multi day trip

LOL. Well, good luck with that. But yeah, I agree. Nothing like a relaxing weekend in PWS.

Oh, Steve the Potbuilder has the books too. Signed ones at that.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    is there anywhere in anchorage that I can pick up this cruising guide????
    We have the current edition of the Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound in our bookstore! And I would be happy to hand one off to you directly, right here in Anchorage if you want to save $5 in postage. Otherwise it all goes out priority mail.

Drop me a line and we will make it happen.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I will be in that same area the same weekend, well weather permitting. I looked at the entrance to Jonah bay last year at low tide and decided it was impossible to get in there, but later in the day saw boats leaving. Might try to get in this year. The bay to the South of Jonah is nice to, just watch your self at the very back as it gets real shallow fast... Like 30 ft to 5ft in 50 ft.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    ...just watch your self at the very back as it gets real shallow fast... Like 30 ft to 5ft in 50 ft.
    Sounds like the terminal end of a glacial moraine to me. Those are fairly common in PWS.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Note to Joe:

I have your copy of the Cruising Guide ($65) here for you (thanks for the call). I also pulled a copy of Kayaking and Camping in Prince William Sound ($18.95), and a National Geographic Topographic map for the Western side of Prince William Sound ($11.95) I checked and it does have bathymetric contour lines in addition to the terrain features above water. It's on waterproof paper, so it's great for the boat.

Anyway I have those set aside so you can look them over when you get here. If you don't need them, no problem.

And yes, everyone, we DO have a store! 450 titles, all focused on the Alaska outdoors. If it's in print, we probably have it. If we don't let me know and we will see about getting it.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I will be in that same area the same weekend, well weather permitting. I looked at the entrance to Jonah bay last year at low tide and decided it was impossible to get in there, but later in the day saw boats leaving. Might try to get in this year. The bay to the South of Jonah is nice to, just watch your self at the very back as it gets real shallow fast... Like 30 ft to 5ft in 50 ft.

JR2 if I see your boat around in that area I will try and say hi. My call boat name is "Ship Happens". We may have some extra beers and moose steaks available. Of course its all weather dependent. I'm always careful when it starts to get shallow, I've heard that rocks and fiberglass don't go well together lol.

If y'all are hitting Jonah, any chance we could get an update or heck even a pm about snow levels and how much commercial shrimping action is going on. We are going out on Tuesday if weather holds. Love Unakwik and been in there several times past two seasons, usually staying. Back at Siwash bay or the little divit south of the hatchery.

Had heard it was open to commercial shrimpers this year so wasn't sure how crowded it would be.

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    If y'all are hitting Jonah, any chance we could get an update or heck even a pm about snow levels and how much commercial shrimping action is going on. We are going out on Tuesday if weather holds. Love Unakwik and been in there several times past two seasons, usually staying. Back at Siwash bay or the little divit south of the hatchery.

Had heard it was open to commercial shrimpers this year so wasn't sure how crowded it would be.

Thanks,

Will
    It was only open to the comm guys for a couple of periods, i beleive its closed to the comm guys now and most likely will remain closed for the rest of the year( for the comm guys) its open for raping and plundering for the rec guys though.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but potbuilder, do you know where I can find what is presently open to commercial shrimping? Just wanting to stay out of their way and avoid the traffic--especially if a narrow area like Unakwik.

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but potbuilder, do you know where I can find what is presently open to commercial shrimping? Just wanting to stay out of their way and avoid the traffic--especially if a narrow area like Unakwik.

Thanks,

Will
    This should help ya

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../264509902.pdf

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Sounds like the terminal end of a glacial moraine to me. Those are fairly common in PWS.

-Mike
    It's more of an underwater cliff.. But yes it is kind of normal. I did watch a guy run full throttle into the shallows last year... Then he executed a high speed u turn, very exciting.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We were in Jonah a couple days ago. Still alot of ice on the water in the back of the bay. 2 foot of snow at the high tide line, foggy and nippy. Bbbrrr.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Well finally made the trip up to Jonah bay. I have to say that I did have the cruising guide but after looking at what I had to do and the maneuvers I did not feel comfortable going in there. Used the raft and did a lot of glassing on Friday when we got there. As we where getting ready to leave where we hiked in we look down the hill and there was a bear there looking right at us. Needles to say we got a bear. After we got the bear went back to get the dingy and realized it was gone, the tide had change and pulled it off from where we had put it(learning lesson). After finding that the raft had been sucked into Jonah bay, my hunting partner decided to go swim after it. We got the raft back and learned a valuable lesson. Tried to fish in unaP1040311.jpgP1040337.jpgkwik bay but only caught a small flounder. Did some shrimping also, but I forgot my sinking main lines with buoys at the house so I had to rig up a single set up with three pots and the anchor buoy. We where only able to shrimp in about 300ft of water but still came away with about 200 shrimp. Overall it was a great weekend and I got to explore a place I haven't been.

Nice job. I looked at the entrance again when I was out there 10 days ago... I just could not bring myself to try it as well. I need to go in and look at it via the raft like you did one day. Nice bear as well, I got one down the bay towards Swiash but it was about half the size of yours.