Thread: Stupid bear questions?

Default Stupid bear questions?

Hey guys, something has been bugging me and I haven't been able to find anything on here about it. But has anyone ever hunted spring black bears on the rivers during the hooligan runs? The deep snow and lack of new green growth in the mountains has me wondering.

Shush......stop this at once......TMI as the kids say.

All funning aside the reality is that you have to be there on the sand bar when the fish get trapped and the bear finds them. Very hard to time.

A co worker from several jobs ago regularly flew up the Big Su after work on nice evenings and looked for bears feeding on fish. He would look ahead for a flock of gulls milling - just like over a bait ball in the ocean - and then fly over to see what was drawing them in. Typically there was a large amount of spawned out or trapped fish on a bar. Maybe once a week there was a bear on the site, about split between browns and blacks. Always sign that there were some bears around by tracks.

Last year on the Gulf the beach near our work site was hammered by dead hooligan on a high tide. The gulls were crazy that night. The bear tracks and other bear sign indicated that the bears knew of the bounty but most were not eating the fish off the beach. One large brown followed the tide line of dead fish but did not eat any of them, just a lot of pawing and messing with. A sow and her cubs chowed down at another section of beach. This was in July and well past the end of the bear season in that GMU.

You would have to find a spot and then hunt that spot for a while to see if any bears were working it. It might help to find a spot from the air and then head back by boat and set up to hunt the area following what ever legal requirements for same day airborne applies.

Another option is to float hunt a river that has a hooligan run in it. The hooligan will stack up in slack water and animals will go after them then so you just might get lucky.

I almost took a black bear on the Yentna that was feeding on spawned out/dead hooligan. Another half second and I would have been in position, but he disappeared just in time. I was curious what had his interest down by the edge of the slough, so I canoed over there to find a number of hooligan lying dead in a couple inches of water.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    One large brown followed the tide line of dead fish but did not eat any of them, just a lot of pawing and messing with.
    I wonder why he wouldn't eat any of them.........any ideas?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yea thats what I was thinking bronco. I may have to go get the canoe in the water and try dodging the jet boats.