Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot wear for halibut?

Default Foot wear for halibut?

Just wondering what most are wearing for a few days on water in June time frame? Do I want water proof rubber boots or does it really matter? any thoughts on this would be appreciated
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Xtra Tuffs are hard to beat for everything on boats.

Steel toe boots to protect you from missed gaff/club swings.

Sobie2

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Muck boots, waterproof and insulated.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering what most are wearing for a few days on water in June time frame? Do I want water proof rubber boots or does it really matter? any thoughts on this would be appreciated
    any waterproof footwear will do, But most of us wear Xtra-tuffs, because they are designed to be skidproof on wet slippery slimy decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    ...skidproof....
    That's key around halibut. Man, their slime has to be one of the slickest things on earth. Way slicker than any other fish slime I've encountered.

We have a running joke. When we go on charters (since I don't own a boat) and there are others on the boat, we look at their footwear. If they are wearing tennins shoes we kow they are out of staters and if they are wearing some type of rubber footwear, they are residents. Can always tell. Wear waterproof footwear and extra tuffs are good.

I have some extra tuffs but for some reason hadn't thought of them, never realized they work for the slickness. Had never seen the short ones, whats everyone thoughts on those vs the full length?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    We have a running joke. When we go on charters (since I don't own a boat) and there are others on the boat, we look at their footwear. If they are wearing tennins shoes we kow they are out of staters and if they are wearing some type of rubber footwear, they are residents. Can always tell. Wear waterproof footwear and extra tuffs are good.
    LOL tufs are great....Midwesterner puke washes right off em
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I have some extra tuffs but for some reason hadn't thought of them, never realized they work for the slickness. Had never seen the short ones, whats everyone thoughts on those vs the full length?
    I guess it depends on how much of your lower leg you want to keep dry. Also if you are wearing rain gear that goes past the ankle height boots then you should be fine. I usually tuck my pants in the top of my 'Tuffs, then I'm also wearing Grundens bibs on the boat.

Gotta love the 'Tuffs!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    LOL tufs are great....Midwesterner puke washes right off em
    Guess I'm not the only one that had this happen!

AKArcher

If you're walking through water of any appreciable depth, the shorties aren't high enough. For a dedicated boat fishing boot they are great, but for all purpose use they are too short. I have both the shorties and standard ones and don't think I'll be replacing the shorties with another pair when they completely fall apart. Also the shorties are prone to tearing on the sides as that's where they seem to flex.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Not sure if this is highjacking or not, sorry if it is, but I saw a thread a while ago where a few people were not happy with the China-made ones. Is there that much of a difference in quality?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Not sure if this is highjacking or not, sorry if it is, but I saw a thread a while ago where a few people were not happy with the China-made ones. Is there that much of a difference in quality?
    The folks from Xtra-Tuf found and corrected the issue in their production line. They have given folks who sell them like B&J's the authorization to replace any pair that comes in that was made in China and is defective.

While I don't have a new pair, I do believe this issue was resolved.

AKArcher

xtra tuffs are standard for just about everybody who spends a good deal of time on the water in SE AK. That includes commercial, sport, and charter capts. Can't say I've seen anybody wear anything else, if you exclude the non-res.

I love my mucks. They are insulated far better than the tuffs and if you have cold feet like this fella you really appreciate a boot as warm as the muck. They are way better quality than the tuffs and have a comfort like no other. It really does feel like wearing a comfy pair of sneakers. I can spend hours on my feet with no problem.

I also find myself wearing wading shoes and pants sometimes too especially if I am launching or retrieving my boat or if I know that Im going to be getting in and out.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I have 2 pairs of Muck boots and love them both. One pair of Classics, nice clean tread design that won't carry heavy mud and gravel into your boat after a beach visit, and a pair of Arctic Sports that are insulated and have a work boot tread (great for cold weather wear). They fit sooooo much better than Xtra Tuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Steel toe boots to protect you from missed gaff/club swings.

Sobie2
    Wow Sobie2, sounds like it gets pretty wild on your boat!

LOVE my Mucks, just bought another pair a few weeks ago.

I've worn anything out from skate shoes xtratuffs to leather cowboy boots and gortex hunting boots. I'm sick of xtratuffs and after reading this I think I'll go pick up some mucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast