Thread: Black Bear Jerky

Default Black Bear Jerky

Does anyone make jerky out of their bear meat. I'm interested, but understand the trichinosis concerns. What if you were to make your jerky and then place it in a 200 degree oven for an hour.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts. We dry our jerky with a Nesco dehydrator.

Here's some trichinosis info I found on the internet from the CDC.
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5206a1.htm

Not sure how its made but its the best jerky I've ever had mmmmm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Well Would Be Very Careful, 5-6 People Got Trichinosis A Few Years Ago In Homer From Black Bear Jerky.
    That Said 200 Degrees Should Kill The Trich. As It Is My Understanding 145 Degrees Will Kill It.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default bear jerky

One can use bear lean bear meat if you treat it like you would to make certified pork. Freeze the bear meat for one month at minus 10. Then slice and season and dry at 145 degrees till done. I would freeze the jerky until ready to use.

Grizz

Grizz, click on the link on my original post. The CDC study showed trich still active in wild game meats even after freezing. It's actually an interesting article.

Can ANYONE give me some advice on this????

Please???

Someone must have made some bear jerky by heating it as the last step; I would think.

With my original post I was just hopeful, now I have bear meat to work with.

John,

That is the method I use in my shop. I do use commerical seasoning with the pink cure. The web site did open my eyes. Thanks. You might try the University Of Alaska extention service. The Master Food Preservers group has come up with a acid and heat method that I might suggest you look at. I do know there is some research has been done there. Give them a call. I went to the Anchorage extention last fall and they are great people. Hope they can help you out. Note on the charts Colorado does not have any problems Yet

Grizz