Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bicycles on ATV trails?

  1. #1

    Default Bicycles on ATV trails?

    All, don't want to start a flame war or anything, but I'm moving to the Valley in a few weeks and am an avid cyclist. There are some decent single-track trails in the area, however, I want to get out and explore a bit further afoot and want to do so by bike. So my question is this: While you are out on ATV on the ATV trails do you often see cyclists and what are your thoughts about bikes and ATVs sharing the trail? I've ridden at Eklutna and have rarely had any negative experiences with ATVers and hope that they feel the same about their interactions with me. So, what are your thoughts? Should I plan to hit up some of the trails y'all run or...?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I doubt anyone would take issue with a bicycle on a ATV trail, just maintain a high level of awareness for possible wildlife encounters such as bears and moose, and be prepared to "stand aside" for the high speed version of ATV.

  3. #3
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Besides the 'stand aside' advice when encountering the motocross wheelers, be prepared to eat some dust as well.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    It won't be a problem. Just realize they can't hear you but you can hear them so it makes sense to move out of the way just like you would in a raft if you heard a big inboard heading your way. Don't stand in the middle of the trail on a blind corner etc. We all have a right to use the trails and with a little bit of understanding we will all get along great. One thing I make a real point of is giving horses a wide berth, I cut my engine to let them pass an suggest that others should do so as well. I do the same with dog teams which can be seen on many atv trails year round.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    All, don't want to start a flame war or anything, but I'm moving to the Valley in a few weeks and am an avid cyclist. There are some decent single-track trails in the area, however, I want to get out and explore a bit further afoot and want to do so by bike. So my question is this: While you are out on ATV on the ATV trails do you often see cyclists and what are your thoughts about bikes and ATVs sharing the trail? I've ridden at Eklutna and have rarely had any negative experiences with ATVers and hope that they feel the same about their interactions with me. So, what are your thoughts? Should I plan to hit up some of the trails y'all run or...?


    Thanks!
    I don't think you will have many problems, just like any group there are some A-holes, but that goes for bikers and Atv's owners both. The A-holes are the expectation instead of the rule. Like people have said you can hear the ATV coming and they can't hear you so just get off to the side if you hear an ATV coming. I ride my bike on ATV trails and ski on snow machine trails and have had very few bad experiences.

  6. #6

    Default

    Excellent! Thanks for the responses. Hope to see you all around the wilderness this summer!

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    I know your question was Valley specific, but I'll also add that there are a number of awesome Mt Bike trails that are closed to motorized access. Crow Pass, Johnson Pass, Crescent/Carter Lake, Russian Lake(s), etc.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I know your question was Valley specific, but I'll also add that there are a number of awesome Mt Bike trails that are closed to motorized access. Crow Pass, Johnson Pass, Crescent/Carter Lake, Russian Lake(s), etc.
    FYI, Crow Pass is not open to bikes. The other options mentioned are good ones, though, as are many other trails in the Kenai Mountains.

  9. #9
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    FYI, Crow Pass is not open to bikes. The other options mentioned are good ones, though, as are many other trails in the Kenai Mountains.

    Thanks Brian, it's been 20 years since I rode it....Hmmmmm...Wonder if it was legal then?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  10. #10
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    It would be awesome if someone wrote a book about Mountain Biking in Alaska.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •