Thread: Flatest drive WA - AK

Default Flatest drive WA - AK

My truck is getting older and I'm pulling a trailer from Spokane - AK
    I'm looking for the FLATEST vs the shortest route.
    This will be my 10 th trip and I've always taken the ALCANing at Dawson, last time was
    15 years ago so my recollection of the stretch Watson Lake - Dawson is a little fuzzy.
    but this time coming down I took theCassiar which cut out a lot if hills Watson lake - Dawson, but I came 97 down from Prince George , wondered about going through Jasper instead ? Or somebody suggested approaching up through Calgary then taking the ALCAN out of Dawson . I'm planing 5 days for the drive not pushing to hard .

The ferry will be the flattest. and if you have 5 days to spend should have more than enough time. With ful prices what they are in Canada right now you wont be spending too much more for the ferry than fuel for the entire trip.

I think bsj425 nailed it. You've got a bit of a pull climbing out of Haines, but then....

Driving the whole stretch is kind of wash in terms of hills regardless of route, I think, but my preference from NE WA is back roads / Hwy 1 to the Cassiar.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The Ferry is not an option for me

Spokane to Bonners Ferry.
    Go north past Creston on #3A cross ferry, north to Kaslo.
    Over the hump to New Denver, north to ferry, then onto Revelstoke. (If you don't mind gravel and a few log trucks, go north at Kaslo to Trout Lake)
    Head east to kamloops, North at Cache Creek, then onto Prince George.

Kaslo to New Denver is the only pass before Revelstoke, you can miss it by going to Trout Lake.

Remember you said least amount of hills, you didn't mention curves, LOL

OR highway 5 out of Kamloop going north to Valemount then the 16 to Prince George.
    Hwy #5 & #16 are flat by BC standards.

Roads NOT to take. Hwy #3. Or Hwy #6 from Nakusp to Vernon.

Trucked all over NW Canada for lots of years.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Thanks travelers! Big time reps! My kids all went to u of I my son's has settled in eastern WA plan on visiting more and more. I really like the area.

I have haul trailers north more than once. I will do just about anything to avoid going north out of Seattle...I hate that crossing because it is so busy, then the road north is so steep. I go through the central Washington crossing north of Ellensburg...it goes on mostly small two lane roads, but you avoid the biggest pulls and the roads are lightly used and in good shape. Then I have used the Cassier to avoid the big hills farther north. A couple of years ago I went the AlCan way instead of the Cassier and found that it is all now paved and greatly improved and no longer a PITA when hauling my 5th wheel.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I may be making the trip south in a couple weeks. The suggestion of using the ferry system intrigued me, but a quick search of the fares left me with the impression it would still cost about 2-3 times more to use the ferry.

I realize the original poster's trip is likely already passed so this comment is more for posterity's sake. I just did pretty much the same trip, WA to AK. Of course I grew up in BC so I spent some extra time there visiting old friends. But in the future, anyone on this forum who has questions about routes through BC is free to PM me. "travelers" made a pretty good route suggestion only I would recommend going I-90 to Wenatchee then north from there all the way to Kamloops via the Okanagan Valley. That way you don't go over a single mountain pass. The route from Kaslo to New Denver through the Kootenays is winding and steep; it's the only place where my 2 year old threw up in the back seat on our recent journey. I went that way in spite of the high mountain road so I could take in Ainsworth Hot Springs. But I wouldn't recommend this stretch of route for anyone avoiding high mountain roads.

ok so what does everyone here think about the route from Louisiana to Alaska - going the flattest route? I am trying to avoid big mountains as I am pulling a 44' 5th wheel that is 18,000 plus....