Thread: Hooligan Gill Net Fabrick Where to purchase?

Default Hooligan Gill Net Fabrick Where to purchase?

I would like to build a hooligan gill net that can be used on the Kenai. My biggest problem is locating the fabric. Also, if anyone has a plan I would be happy to receive a copy/link. Even better, if someone has one for sale let me know 395-7179.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Soldotna

Tom I bought my gillnet web from Silvertip. Unfortunately they are out of business. You might try Donalsons in Kenai.
    The gearshed in Homer would definetly have it.
    Traditionally they would be made using Bamboo poles. I decided to make mine using 1" PVC capped on the ends.I have a big yellow seine float on the end of mine to make it easier to see and for added floatation. It works real well for me.
    The handle is a seperate piece and connects in the middle via a swivel so it can hinge and spin.
    I believe my net is ~10' and the handle is about the same length. I believe the rule is you must have a rigid handle on it. The rigid handle is easier to use anyway.
    If you know someone who can hang nets it works out well to have them do it. Buy a needle and twine when you buy the webbing as that will make it a LOT easier on whomever hangs it. Also be sure to get the right size needle so it goes in and out easily. Ask the place selling the web and they will know what to use for twine,webbing,needles,and leadline and your end float. The PVC I bought at home depot.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Tom I bought my gillnet web from Silvertip. Unfortunately they are out of business. You might try Donalsons in Kenai.
    The gearshed in Homer would definetly have it.
    Traditionally they would be made using Bamboo poles. I decided to make mine using 1" PVC capped on the ends.I have a big yellow seine float on the end of mine to make it easier to see and for added floatation. It works real well for me.
    The handle is a seperate piece and connects in the middle via a swivel so it can hinge and spin.
    I believe my net is ~10' and the handle is about the same length. I believe the rule is you must have a rigid handle on it. The rigid handle is easier to use anyway.
    If you know someone who can hang nets it works out well to have them do it. Buy a needle and twine when you buy the webbing as that will make it a LOT easier on whomever hangs it. Also be sure to get the right size needle so it goes in and out easily. Ask the place selling the web and they will know what to use for twine,webbing,needles,and leadline and your end float. The PVC I bought at home depot.
    I made a real similar net with PVC but I used 1/2" PVC and wove the net onto it. Then I wove my lead line down one side, across the bottom and up the other side and tied it off. Bouy on the end and one in the middle. I also made mine 10' instead of the allowed 20' since its much easier to handle and still catches lots of little fish, I've even had a couple kings hit it, never got them to the beach though!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I made a real similar net with PVC but I used 1/2" PVC and wove the net onto it. Then I wove my lead line down one side, across the bottom and up the other side and tied it off. Bouy on the end and one in the middle. I also made mine 10' instead of the allowed 20' since its much easier to handle and still catches lots of little fish, I've even had a couple kings hit it, never got them to the beach though!
    Does it actually hold its shape fairly well without being tied in? Or did you weave it on then tie it in?
    It just seems to me you would want to tie it in along it's length anyway.
    I also made mine ~10' long for ease of transport and you really don't need a full 20' to catch the little buggers anyway.I think I made my handle 12' but I have a fullsize box on my truck for transport. If my net were any longer it would be a pain to haul.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"