Thread: A Kasilof River Question.

Question A Kasilof River Question.

Hiya!

I was wanting to do some Sockeye Fishing on the Kasilof (in an attempt to avoid the Russian/Kenai rivers).

But since I really don't want to float down the river and I don't want to do subsistence fishing I was thinking about going to the kasilof/crooked creek confluence and do some fly fishing. I was thinking that since most will be dipnetting it wont be so busy at the confluence? I was also debating getting a king stamp incase I happen to luck out and land a hatchery king (since in 2013 you can't keep wild kings?)

I guess my question is more of a regulatory question.
    I know that there is a large span of time when the mouth of the river is for dip netting use only. I was wondering if the areas up river are still open for regular fishing.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Yeah the crooked creek campground is a good place to fish. I've never had much luck there but it is likely a timing thing. Watch the fish counts on the adfg website for good numbers. The dipnetters and comm guys don't catch them all so they certainly pass through there.

It's still open for fishing but don't expect to be alone at the confluence. It's called the people hole for a reason

Sent while hiding from the boss

There are just as many people at crooked creek as any decent stretch of the Kenai and far less fish unless you time it just right.

Tourists cannot dipnet so they fill up the people hole on a regular basis as do many locals who don't dip or are done dipping. I would guess there isn't a non busy time during red season. Certainly not one you could mark on your calendar.
    Since the one campground closed I would guess it is worse now but I couldn't say as I refuse to fish the peoples hole anymore I got tired of dodging tourists fishing lures.
    It is a nice drift in a boat/raft. I know you said you are not interested but it is a great way to find your own piece of water.
    There is no Kasilof subsistence fishing so that isn't an option even if you wanted to.It is personal use or sportfishing only.
    The entire river is open I sometimes fish some private property upriver of the bridge.
    Be aware some years they allow dipping all the way to the bridge.Check for EO's on that during the season.
    The mouth is never for dipnetting only. I don't know where people get that idea from? I will say it wouldn't be productive,ethical or fun to be swinging a fly rod amongst all those dipnetters though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Skip crooked creek and give it a shot above the bridge. The action on the Kasilof isnt as hot and heavy as it is on the Kenai but above the bridge you can get away from people a little more.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Would it better to go to the bridge or to go to the creek? I was always under the impression that if the water is very silty its next to impossible to target anything and it more or less just blind casting. But, if the salmon are there. You would think that one of them would try and take the fly.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Would it better to go to the bridge or to go to the creek? I was always under the impression that if the water is very silty its next to impossible to target anything and it more or less just blind casting. But, if the salmon are there. You would think that one of them would try and take the fly.

If you're talking about reds, it's always blind casting . . they don't call it "Flossing" for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Ive had more luck and seen more taken above the bridge. Crowds are thinner too. There is a trail through the woods. Maybe 1/4 mile. Too much for some to want to walk. If you can easily walk up to it (crooked creek) there are gonna be a billion people in there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.