Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonderful WINCHESTER Model 92......tell me about it.

Default Wonderful WINCHESTER Model 92......tell me about it.

Can we talk about Winchester Model 92's.........Please ??? What is the history behind the steel "Crescent" Butt Plate........??? What is the history and or reason for the "Buckhorn" sight, or the "Semi-Buckhorn" sight......??? What were the original cartridge choices for the M-92 ??

Have you had wonderful good experiences with shooting a M-92 ???

I just want to learn more about the Model 92.

Thanks for any input.

One thing to know, good bores are scarce as hen's teeth. The rifles were around in the days of corrosive primers, and most weren't well cleaned well enough to protect the bore. Collectors go all goofy about external condition, but shooters choke at the prices demanded for good looking guns that won't shoot worth poop. The real gem on the market is a pretty rough looking one of little collector interest, but with a spanking bore.

Both of mine are reproductions. I really want to know the history and thinking behind the steel crescent butt-plate.

They are wonderful walk'about tools............I have been administering accelerated depreciation to my take-down with the 16" octagon barrel 45 long colt.

The crescent butt on rifles was a design for shooting off horse back with the rifle mounted at the top of the arm instead of the shoulder.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

This isn't a bad read, as a starting point anyway. This one and this one go a lot further, but you'll have to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The crescent butt on rifles was a design for shooting off horse back with the rifle mounted at the top of the arm instead of the shoulder.
    So do I understand the Butt went on the bicep ........???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So do I understand the Butt went on the bicep ........???
    Just above it, in the "cup" that forms between the bicep and the joint when you raise your arm into shooting position. That's the point of all hooked-butt muzzleloaders and the reason for a little cast-off in the stocks of many. Coming from that muzzleloader tradition, the marketers of the day probably saw it as a plus to include the hook in the new repeaters.

It's a real good stunt, BTW. I have a couple of 62 cal muzzleloaders, one with a hooked butt, and one with a flat butt. Nestle the hooked butt into your shoulder like you would a modern gun, and it flat eats your lunch. Move it out where it belongs on your arm, and it's quite pleasant to shoot, better in fact than the flat butt in where we hold modern guns. We're talking a 340 grain ball on top of 160 grains of powder for around 1650fps. Hold the gun right and it's fine, but hold it wrong and fashion yourself a first aid sling to hold your arm for a few days.

The old lever guns remember were called saddle guns and many came with saddle rings.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The 92 Win 25/20 is one of my favorite rifle/cartridge combinations. Light, quick handling, light recoil, cheap to shoot with cast. A lot more power than a 22mag and cheaper to shoot. Just plain fun to shoot as well as an ideal small critter gun to about 125yds. I also have a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull which is about as much as I can stand in that light of rifle.

I have a repro Rossi 92 as well that I carry for a brush gun. Would like to have it in 44 or 454, like rbuck's thought. BTW, rbuck's is a really nice rifle.

I've been hoing to find an original in 32-20 that is shootable for the last 6-8 years. Nothing yet. As mentioned earlier, all I've found are "wall hangers" (unserviceable) in the $600-800 range or shootable guns at $3200 and up. (At least in 32-20, other calibers may be lesser or more expensive.) And that's with my unle, who makes his whole living on buying and selling antique Winchesters looking for me.

But yeah, In my view, the Model 92 is the finest lever gun Winchester ever produced. So muh so, that I was once briefly tempted to buy one of those Jap knock-offs, which I hear are darned good shooters at half the price of an original. (But alas, those South American knock offs are darned good shooter at one-eighth the price of an original.)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post

But yeah, In my view, the Model 92 is the finest lever gun Winchester ever produced. So muh so, that I was once briefly tempted to buy one of those Jap knock-offs, which I hear are darned good shooters at half the price of an original. (But alas, those South American knock offs are darned good shooter at one-eighth the price of an original.)
    I have always found this interesting.........I feel that the "Winchester M-92" made by Miroku is the Highest "Quality" 92 produced, way exceeding New Haven, CT. production quality. What makes my want to puke is the tang safety. But this is removable.....

What makes my want to puke is the tang safety. But this is removable.....
    A few years back Winnie made a small run of 94's in 25-35 and I got one. Tang safety and all. I don't use the safety, and I'm not bothered enough to get rid of it. Just ignore it. It won't go away, but it looks better than a hole in the tang where one used to be.

BTW- While I agree about the merits of the 92 in 25-20, the 94 in 25-35 comes in a very close second. It does very well with lighter loads and the same bullets as the 25-20, but with the option of pumping a 117 RN up to 2200 or so. Now there is a fun combo!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    A few years back Winnie made a small run of 94's in 25-35 and I got one. Tang safety and all. I don't use the safety, and I'm not bothered enough to get rid of it. Just ignore it. It won't go away, but it looks better than a hole in the tang where one used to be.

BTW- While I agree about the merits of the 92 in 25-20, the 94 in 25-35 comes in a very close second. It does very well with lighter loads and the same bullets as the 25-20, but with the option of pumping a 117 RN up to 2200 or so. Now there is a fun combo!

This coming late fall I am going to have the tang safety removed and a fold down receiver sight installed. For now I just pushed it off and wrapped electrical tape very tight about ten wraps. As it is my "DLP" Walk'about firearm, I don't want to risk the safety being "ON" at the wrong moment.

This coming late fall I am going to have the tang safety removed and a fold down receiver sight installed. For now I just pushed it off and wrapped electrical tape very tight about ten wraps. As it is my "DLP" Walk'about firearm, I don't want to risk the safety being "ON" at the wrong moment.
    I'm probably headed toward a tang peep too. I've got the one I want sitting in a drawer, but simply haven't got around to drilling and tapping the extra hole. I didn't bother with tape to "deactivate" mine- I just dropped the butt stock and reached in with a little dab of epoxy to freeze the slide in place. When it's time to remove, a quick touch with a torch frees the epoxy and you're on your way. Nothing visible from the outside.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm probably headed toward a tang peep too. I've got the one I want sitting in a drawer, but simply haven't got around to drilling and tapping the extra hole. I didn't bother with tape to "deactivate" mine- I just dropped the butt stock and reached in with a little dab of epoxy to freeze the slide in place. When it's time to remove, a quick touch with a torch frees the epoxy and you're on your way. Nothing visible from the outside.
    Seems like the Tang sight would get in the way. Flimsy, and not adjustable for windage. Not for me. They're too UGLY.

I have a Puma 92 replica. Andy, put a Skinner Peep sight that dovetails into the same place as the original iron sight. I didn't think I'd like a peep mounted that far forward, but it works fine. It's great for peripheral vision. Kinda like a Scout Scope.

He also made the Front sight higher because I couldn't get enough elevation for 357s even with the original sight. It was more sighted for 38 Specials like the CAS folks shoot.

I like the epoxy idea. I'd do that, but I don't have a tang safety, just a little doo-dadger on top of the bolt. I leave it alone and it leaves me alone.

I wish I had VISION like you and rbuck. Then, maybe, I'd have those interesting LAs. 25-20, 25-35, etc. But, I'm survivin with my OLD Marlin Straight Grip 30-30. It's the most accurate LA I've ever owned.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I couldn't get enough elevation for 357s even with the original sight.
    I have a similar problem with mine (Interamrs/Rossi 92, not a Puma, but in 357). I have to aim 8-10" low to get in the 10 ring at 50 yrds.

(So yeah, my problem is opposite of yours...I can't adjust it low enough to keep the bullets from flying over the target.)

Pretty common to have to mix and match front sights when you change the rear. Some need higher and some need lower. I have a bin in one drawer with 3 or 4 dozen front sights accumulated over the years. Every time I change on out I toss the old one in the bin. Sooner or later I'm likely going to recycle it on another gun.

I have a similar problem with mine (Interamrs/Rossi 92, not a Puma, but in 357). I have to aim 8-10" low to get in the 10 ring at 50 yrds.

(So yeah, my problem is opposite of yours...I can't adjust it low enough to keep the bullets from flying over the target.)
    File a tad off the top of your front sight to get back into ajustment range.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    He also made the Front sight higher because I couldn't get enough elevation for 357s even with the original sight. It was more sighted for 38 Specials like the CAS folks shoot. SOTN
    I SAID that WRONG.

The Front sight had to be Higher so the gun wouldn't shoot too high. I should have said "I couldn't get the correct elevation", or something that made sense. (With the rear sight adjusted all the way DOWN, 357 shot way high.)

He made it higher, and I'm in the process of filing it down for the elevation I want, with the rear sight now in the middle of it's adjustment. I THINK I'm done filing, but need to find an accurate load before I finish.

Scuse Please
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

My problem was the same. Please see, my correction.
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast