Thread: Kenai comes in line with the rest of the Inlet for king conservation

Default Kenai comes in line with the rest of the Inlet for king conservation

Limited harvest goes into effect on the opening day of the ER sonar count.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...KS-1-11-13.pdf

Thank you Mr Begich!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I still don't get the keeping the BIG Kenai fish. We NEED that stock! It's stupid like keeping the big halibut.
    Thanks Greg Brush! Wish others could read the obvious writing on the wall.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

As much as I disagree philosophically with the 55" loophole, from a purely pragmatic perspective, fish of that size have for all intents and purposes already been systematically cleansed from the early run gene pool. Even if ONE were to be caught and bonked, it would essentially be inconsequential to the escapement as a whole.

Since the inception of ADFG's "sealing" requirement in 2003, only ONE early run king that's been submitted to ADFG for sealing has actually made the mark. Yes, they are THAT rare.

I hope no one fishing the river in 2013 is foolish enough to consider repeating the recurring mistake of bonking a king that will NOT make the mark.

I say, just emulate Brush and make the pledge to let 'em all go before even venturing out on the water this season. That way no one in the boat is tempted to make a mistake they will regret.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    As much as I disagree philosophically with the 55" loophole, from a purely pragmatic perspective, fish of that size have for all intents and purposes already been systematically cleansed from the early run gene pool. Even if ONE were to be caught and bonked, it would essentially be inconsequential to the escapement as a whole.
    With all due respect, and I'm sure u would agree, it is the genetics of that particular group of kings that NEED EVERY possible chance to propagate. There is NO acceptable reason to consider the allowance of diminishing that (im)possible chance that it may SOMEHOW recover. To do so (as they seem to be doing) is akin to shooting the last mating pair of lions (or another species) because we believe all hope is lost for their species. It just doesn't make sense. Heck, they have miraculously discovered numerous species that were thought to be extinct.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Since the inception of ADFG's "sealing" requirement in 2003, only ONE early run king that's been submitted to ADFG for sealing has actually made the mark. Yes, they are THAT rare.

I hope no one fishing the river in 2013 is foolish enough to consider repeating the recurring mistake of bonking a king that will NOT make the mark.

I say, just emulate Brush and make the pledge to let 'em all go before even venturing out on the water this season. That way no one in the boat is tempted to make a mistake they will regret.
    Equally rare would be a person participating in the C&R fishery that would actually want to kill a fish. As was stated on another a thread, the river becomes a ghost town and from what I see the only participants just want to fish.

F & G would not sloas it all the way as think about all the sports that have got a guide paid for an the guide spent the money getting ready for this
    year an the town would miss out on all that money I think SId

Here is F & G's Mission: To protect, maintain, and improve the fish, game, and aquatic plant resources of the state, and manage their use and development in the best interest of the economy and the well-being of the people of the state, consistent with the sustained yield principle.

"Best interest of the economy" - This is why so many of us question their decisions. If your not in the fish business, I think it's natural to think that F & G should be managing to the maximum benefit of the fish. But when the economy is taken into consideration on every decision, what is best for the fish seems is not the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Equally rare would be a person participating in the C&R fishery that would actually want to kill a fish. As was stated on another a thread, the river becomes a ghost town and from what I see the only participants just want to fish.
    This should mean some nice peaceful fishing. I can go buy some salmon to eat and contribute to the economy. The old lady and I just want to go fishing. C&R is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    With all due respect, and I'm sure u would agree, it is the genetics of that particular group of kings that NEED EVERY possible chance to propagate. There is NO acceptable reason to consider the allowance of diminishing that (im)possible chance that it may SOMEHOW recover. To do so (as they seem to be doing) is akin to shooting the last mating pair of lions (or another species) because we believe all hope is lost for their species. It just doesn't make sense. Heck, they have miraculously discovered numerous species that were thought to be extinct.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l=1#post887084
    The KeenEye MD

Thank someone else Doc, Mr. Begich (from my sources) the local staff was against the EO and the decision came from Juneau.

The Kenai did not come into line with the other streams, the other streams came in line with the Kenai, it would have been nice to allow some fishing on the Kenai until they had some real data, as unlike other streams and rivers, the Kenai gets data every day on how the return is coming.

Remember, the Kenai starts out, by regulation not EO, with limited guide hours and days, single hook, no bait, slot limit, 1/day/2/year, spawning ground/staging areas closed and is the most closely monitored fishery when it comes to gauging the return.

Not to mention F&G told the stakeholders in the fishery something totally different over the winter and no new data as come in. The emergency Soldotna AC meeting had the local non guided anglers, guides, commercial fishermen and local business all against this new way of management, I can't remember a time when all those groups agreed on anything.

Limited harvest goes into effect on the opening day of the ER sonar count.

Thank you Mr Begich!

Wink

Catch-and-release goes into effect on the opening day of the ER sonar count.

Quote Originally Posted by AMMO JAY View Post
    I can go buy some salmon to eat and contribute to the economy.
    Sorry, but just about the LAST thing I want to do in Alaska is buy a fish at a store......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry, but just about the LAST thing I want to do in Alaska is buy a fish at a store......
    I don't even buy fish at a restaurant. Too much opertunities to catch my own.

Sent while hiding from the boss