Thread: Building a Gravity Flush Outhouse?

Default Building a Gravity Flush Outhouse?

Has anyone built or seen an outhouse that features a gravity flush toilet? I'm looking to build an outhouse for the summer use and was thinking ventilation and then thought, why not use an actual toilet with a water tank? Water will be readily available, but power will not be so a small bilge pump wouldn't work. I would fill it probably once a week externally, that would be at most. Would this work? I prefer the comforts of sitting down on a toilet when the need arises.

Yes. A friend has a toilet in his outhouse for summer use only.
    After business, they dump some water from a 5 gallon pail into it and it's ready for the next person. Simple.
    Don't forget to winterize it in the fall though.
    BK

Another option would be to have a 100gal or so tank close by with either the ability to gravity feed the toilet or have a small pump to fill it up after each use.

What we go through to remain comfortable..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

If a person wants a porcelain flush toilet, why not just put it indoors?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks for the replies. With some more research it seems like most regular toilets will fill with gravity pressure though slowly perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Another option would be to have a 100gal or so tank close by with either the ability to gravity feed the toilet or have a small pump to fill it up after each use.
    Yes, I envision it above your head and behind, maybe only 30 gallons because of the weight and size issues. I can fill it with my gas powered water pump from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If a person wants a porcelain flush toilet, why not just put it indoors?
    Certainly, but this is for a remote mine site where permanent structures aren't permitted.

Fine a old boat toilet as they only need about a half gallon of water per flush
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you