Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Flies and tackle in carry-on

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    68

    Default Flies and tackle in carry-on

    After reviewing TSA's website, rods, reels, flies, nippers, and hemostats under 7" appear to be allowed in a carry-on. A google search revealed some folks having problems carrying on tackle, but that was old information.

    So, anyone who travel lately with tackle in thier carry-on and did you have any issues?Anyone carry on a nail knot tool?

  2. #2
    Member AKArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by browell7 View Post
    After reviewing TSA's website, rods, reels, flies, nippers, and hemostats under 7" appear to be allowed in a carry-on. A google search revealed some folks having problems carrying on tackle, but that was old information.

    So, anyone who travel lately with tackle in thier carry-on and did you have any issues?Anyone carry on a nail knot tool?
    It all depends on the day and the TSA agent going through your stuff. What is allowed one day is confiscated the next. Unfortunately I see this all the time both personally and other folks traveling..
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.


    AKArcher

  3. #3
    Member ekberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...
    Posts
    150

    Default

    I've carried fly tackle gear all over the world, many places, many airlines and just as AKArcher says it all depends on who's going through your stuff. I certainly never carry big saltwater flies in my carry on, but some get away with small flies. Someone always thinks they can be used for some unintended purpose. The other problem I've encountered, especially with foreign airlines is believe it or not, fly lines. I guess they think you're going to try and strangle someone. Personally, all I carry on are my reels and fly rods. All the rest get's checked. These are the expensive items I don't want to loose.

  4. #4
    Member AKducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    485

    Default

    I was thinking About this today. The most dangerous thing in you fly gear is probably the rod case ( a 3 foot hard stick) and I've never had any problems with my rod as a Cary on

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekberger View Post
    Personally, all I carry on are my reels and fly rods. All the rest get's checked. These are the expensive items I don't want to loose.
    That's interesting - I know people who've been dinged for the line on their fly reels - not allowed, or some such. To be honest I travel with stuff I won't be heartbroken to lose, and put everything in checked bags. Fortunately Alaska Airlines has very good bag handling.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  6. #6
    Member ekberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Yes it's interesting about fly lines, I'm not sure what it is but many whom I've traveled with say the same. Although I always carry on my reels loaded with line I have spare lines in my carry on if I'm going some place I can't get replacements. I personally have never had anyone tell me to remove lines, but I know of people who have. The absolute worst place to get your stuff checked is in Paris. Seems like the French love to go through your stuff and enjoy the fact that they can tell you to remove something. This has happened to me more than once on trips to the Seychelles so I'll just be extra careful.

  7. #7

    Default

    Be careful about international travel with flies in your carry-on. A couple of buds went to New Zealand last year, with a stop in Australia. One had his flies in his checked bags and the other had them in his carry-ons. No problem with the checked flies, but a zealous badge packer was concerned about the chance for prohibited species in the carry-on flies against all assurances from the owner, and confiscated the whole lot for evaluation. A year later the owner is still awaiting their return.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    That's interesting - I know people who've been dinged for the line on their fly reels - not allowed, or some such. To be honest I travel with stuff I won't be heartbroken to lose, and put everything in checked bags. Fortunately Alaska Airlines has very good bag handling.
    YES! I went to the east coast in April. Fly reels in my carry on & also carried on a 4' rod (in an aluminum tube). I had to remove the rod from the tube (so the TSA agent, at ANC, could check the tube with his flashlight), but was allowed to carry it all on. Returning from Philadelphia, my carryon was scanned for over two minutes, then a TSA agent reluctlantly & gingerly carried it over to a seperate table and asked me to accompany him. I asked him if the problem was my reels or the hooks. He said it was probably the reels. He carefully extracted them from the back pack & checked them out, then ran a sniffer patch over the interior of the pack. He let me (and the reels) go. Luckly I had the foresight to mail the rod/tube home. Now I have to worry about USPS losing it.
    My guess is that on the x-ray the line may resemble det cord (?).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to put all my flies, tools, reels, and lines in checked bags and bring my rods on the plane. I want to get throigh TSA quck and without any hassle.

    I grabbed my backpack out of the garage to use as a carry-on. I empty out the pockets and found a .22 round from when I went out rabitt hunting. I was so glad I dug deep into the pockets. I can't imagine the interrogation I would be put through if that went through the x-ray.

  10. #10
    Member Col. F Rodder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Traveled with my gear for numerous trips. The only thing I have found them to question is having lead in your bag. When it goes through the scanner it shows a solid object. I was advised to put lead in checked bags or to pull it out like you do your liquid travel items.
    Here is another one, don't use your hunting bag that you have had ammo in. If they decided to swab test it, be prepared for a 30 min pat down and they didn't by me breakfast. Made that mistake once and only once!!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Here is another one, don't use your hunting bag that you have had ammo in. If they decided to swab test it, be prepared for a 30 min pat down and they didn't by me breakfast. Made that mistake once and only once!!!
    I worry about that a lot, what with all my muzzleloader shooting, coating everything with black powder smoke in addition to any spilled powder. I now have completely separate gear for using around the MLs.

  12. #12

    Default

    I've flown all over with fly gear, international, lower 48, and all over AK. Everything but my reels and rods go into my checked luggage. Never been questioned, never had a problem.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  13. #13
    Member Micky_Ireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Ive flown all over the world with all sorts of fishing gear. On three occasions I was told by ground staff at Heathrow in London that all my gear had to be stowed with my checked in luggage. After boarding the plane I was asked by the air hostess as to the contents of the hand luggage I was carrying. I had with me my prized collection of flies and upwards of ten different fly lines that I had collected over the years. They were none to impressed about the flies but went ballistic over the fly lines. Apparently they are regarded as a very dangerous weapons to the air staff. The plane was delayed for over 30 minutes over me ( 350 passengers on a 747 jet ) and they were duly relocated to the checked in luggage hold on the plane......Check all fishing gear in with luggage....trust me

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Ive flown all over the world with all sorts of fishing gear. On three occasions I was told by ground staff at Heathrow in London that all my gear had to be stowed with my checked in luggage. After boarding the plane I was asked by the air hostess as to the contents of the hand luggage I was carrying. I had with me my prized collection of flies and upwards of ten different fly lines that I had collected over the years. They were none to impressed about the flies but went ballistic over the fly lines. Apparently they are regarded as a very dangerous weapons to the air staff. The plane was delayed for over 30 minutes over me ( 350 passengers on a 747 jet ) and they were duly relocated to the checked in luggage hold on the plane......Check all fishing gear in with luggage....trust me

    Just got back from my trip. I carried on my rods and checked everything else. Alaska Airlines held up my connecting flight, as we were delayed out of Anchorage. I was in the Juneau airport for about 20 seconds before boarding my connecting flight. I thought there was no way my checked bags were getting on that plane. To my suprise, the bags got on board and made it to my final desination. I was nervous, but I guess that's the game I played by checking all my gear.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •