Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maud Rd/Mud Lake Shooting Range

Default Maud Rd/Mud Lake Shooting Range

I know I saw something about this last year but I thought I would bring this up again. I drove by the little shooting range yesterday and this is what I saw. I couldn't believe how horrible this place looks. It actually made me very angry to see this. To all of those people that shoot there, please pick up your shells and trash. That includes your shotgun shells! This place is disgusting. It looks like something you would find in a third world country, not Alaska. These photos don't really show how bad it is. It looks much worse in person. PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES! Please ask others that you see there to carry their trash out as well.

Also, thank you to those who have been picking up brass and have been hauling out trash.

Thanks
    IMG_2720.jpgIMG_2721.jpg

That kind of behavior just pi$$es me off! The same people will complain when areas keep getting shut down.
    Take two seconds and pick up after yourselves!

It's bad, the one on top is worse, and the illegal one by Mud Lake is just disgusting...

but on the other hand, anyone want to buy a couple hundred dirty .223 cases? :P

Used to have a range similiar to that in Nome. No trees tho. Instead of crying about it, some guys organized a spring clean up each year and took care of the trash. Should be able to find a group of folks willing to help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So what did u take out with u? I'm not saying u are required to by any means but complaining wo action is really pointless. I would say set an example to the people around you and take out some trash. If you did then Great! It's sad that people leave crap any place but they do always have and always will.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    So what did u take out with u? I'm not saying u are required to by any means but complaining wo action is really pointless. I would say set an example to the people around you and take out some trash. If you did then Great! It's sad that people leave crap any place but they do always have and always will.
    I did. I threw a bunch of beer cans and shells in the back of the RZR and hauled it out. Last year there were people that cleaned some of it up on the Jim Creek clean up day. So to everybody headed to the Jim Creek clean up, if you don't have 4x4, then head over to the Jim Lake shooting range and help clean it up a bit. Thanks

I picked up all the good brass I could and had a small bonfire of the 12ga shells and paper targets... Same thing I do everytime I go out.

Perfect. I get frustrated with people that just B:!h and never do anything. Thank you for your actions. Now just need to get more to fallow. Is that the one all the way down maud rd if so I took a toilet and some garbage out a few weeks ago.

Once again "sportsman" and I use that term lightly prove to be our own worst enemy. The shatheads who do this will likely be the loudest when it gets shut down and honestly looking at those pics who could blame them if it were closed off .. 907 good on you and others like you for picking up the Aholes trash!

So you are saying there is a bunch of brass out there! I may go back and see what I can find. I clean up the cottonwood creek area all the time, so I'll be willing to haul out trash as well. Maybe an untapped source of 10mm brass out there! And I have a buddy that reloads 223 so he may want to take a ride out with me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

yeah, there was quite a bit of millitary (.223, 9mm, .45acp, 7.62, .308) out there when the snow melted. If you've got a good tumbler to clean it up it might be worth it. Lots of guys don't pick any of it up, I found five 30-30 cartridges that look brand new last time. Probably about 20rounds of .22lr also lol

Unfortunately that is the sad truth of many people(or slobs better yet). Pack out what you packed in, seems like it'd be common sense. If I go to that area(which is almost never) i'll clean up what I can. Why you would leave your brass, especially when it is worth a lot of $$ in this current shortage is beyond me. I feel bad if I find out I lost a few pieces brass after I get back from the range, it's like losing a couple dollars .

When I was there my little brother walked around and found about 20 once fired 300 mag brass. He hung on to those ones.

I was out there a last week and it was better. Saw some guys with trash bags which was nice. Someone dumped a moose's head out there also.

I rec'd a message regarding this and YES, this is within the KRPUA.

The spot pictured by the OP is Not a Legal Spot to Shoot.

Only the 'Upper' range is - Know your KRPUA regs. and boundaries. Visit DNR web site on KRPUA.
    The abused spot by Mud Lake is also not - it is on Native land and they need flog abusers/trespassers.

DNR now has legislative funds (lots) to finish the range, but it will likely remain without appropriate enforcement/supervision.

Many groups have cleaned up these areas since the mid-nineties but have now largely given up due the high level of abuse and having suffered losses in the quest for responsible planning,management, enforcement, habitat considerations, and equitable user group considerations.

Folks that care, and those that advocated against effective levels of enforcement and to toss prior publicly funded planning efforts are now left to find other avenues of care for this abused high use area.

Will forward thread to DNR ..........

Did so and recommended they post updates here.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

PS -

A quick forum search will bring up more discussions on this topic.

From KRWG for the asking: dozens of far worse abuse photos and clean-up history are available - related breeches of public process are also documented.

My own considered recommendation is for members of AOD (these forums), Senator Huggins, Rep. Stoltze, Alaska Outdoor Council, Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance, Alaska ATV Club, NRA, and any other responsible and/or interested to form a well organized partnership with DNR MLW to successfully provide upkeep. An unsupervised range, when completed, will undoubtedly need ongoing volunteer efforts.

Jesse Labenski is the new well qualified KRPUA Manager and is off to an active and good start - Contact : jesse.labenski@alaska.gov

Thanks to '907Pride' for bringing this long ongoing issue to the front again!

R. Howard
    KRWG
    knikriver.org

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    I rec'd a message regarding this and YES, this is within the KRPUA.

The spot pictured by the OP is Not a Legal Spot to Shoot.

Only the 'Upper' range is - Know your KRPUA regs. and boundaries. Visit DNR web site on KRPUA.
    The abused spot by Mud Lake is also not - it is on Native land and they need flog abusers/trespassers.
    Why isn't it? It's not on native land and it's before the No Target Shooting sign. Do you have a link to a map or something?

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Why isn't it? It's not on native land and it's before the No Target Shooting sign. Do you have a link to a map or something?

sent from my igloo
    Ak Cowboy is right. It is not illegal to shoot at the lower portion. The upper portion is the 5 acres that they permitted as an official gun range but that doesn't mean that it is the only place that people are allowed to shoot. You can shoot anywhere outside of the restricted target shooting areas. That doesn't mean that all the idiots out there should pull just past the houses at the end of Maud rd and start firing their rifles at 2AM. Have some common sense and some decency. The problem is that some people never will, and those are the same people that trash the place.

Here is a link to the map that the DNR has on their website.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/krpua/pdf/...ooting_map.pdf

The 'No Target Shooting' zone begins at the beginning of Section 16 - the KRPUA border. The official range site is within the KRPUA and Section 16.
    The lower area is slated for future parking. One reason the range itself was moved to the upper site was the recognition that pollutant drainage into wetlands is an issue on the lower area.
    More detailed maps are here - http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/krpua/pdf/...on_6_14_10.pdf
    Scroll down to Map 3. ( Section lines are easier to discern. The drainage issue shows there, as well.)

That is my understanding - so, perhaps DNR needs 'No Target Shooting' signs in the right places?? Yes?
    Those, in turn, will likely be targets like the bullet riddled 'Children at Play' sign at the beginning of Maud - but signs are replaceable. Education, effective enforcement, and management are a tough call at his location - hasty planning decisions.

Possibly, DNR has a different take, I am wrong, and folks will be allowed to shoot at the lower area - but I doubt it. Fact is, the overall situation has always needed addressed and has not yet. The range was to be built to NRA specs, too, but the original design had too much slope. DNR is now talking about angling the layout to overcome that problem. I would need check again on the amount (so do not hold me to it), but $400 K should make a dent in the problems.

This is but a detail , of course, as we all recognize the ongoing messes in each of the areas are untenable and need fixed ASAP. Otherwise the complaints will just continue and slob shooters will continue to make us all look bad.

More on funding, rather than my aging memory:

http://omb.alaska.gov/ombfiles/14_bu...4proj56460.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast