Thread: New SPOT Satellite Phone

Default New SPOT Satellite Phone

I see West Marine selling a new sat. phone for 500 bucks from SPOT. Anybody know much about them? Do they work in Alaska??

Found them online for pre order, they must be new. Coverage map covered AK for the most part, looked like far North might have been on the fringe of service. Service plans look spendy but I think that is normal for sat phones.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anybody know which satellite network they use?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'd bet it uses their equatorial birds since it only says to reference their coverage maps and doesn't mention anything about iridium. I haven't seen the map, but if it gets worse further north, it seems like it'd be those same birds they're using now. Certainly a good price point, though, and worth researching further.

It uses the same sats as the spot so coverage should be fine.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

It looks like they are a subsidiary of Globalstar. Last line in this article. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-...-global-phone/

I'd love to read how that does up here. Who's going to be the first to buy one?

SPOT is owned by Globalstar. I've been doing a lot of research and writing on the use of SPOTs in dogsled races and they're usually fine but every once in awhile they have communication failures (and rarely spectacular communication failures). On the other hand the cost is low enough that if you're financially comfortable you can take it out for a spin and if it doesn't work out it's not a huge deal. (Myself, I'm not that financially comfortable ... ).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Anyone contemplating Globalstar satellite telephones should thoroughly examine their coverage maps and satellite availability data (available online at globalstar.com). Windows of opportunity at my location in Haines is limited to minutes per 24 hour period. I am amazed that SPOT works as good as it does in Alaska. It is probably because the SPOT system uses only simplex communication technology while telephone communications require duplex. I do not wish to gratuitously bad-mouth Globalstar (I even held Globalstar stock at one time) but my Globalstar telephone has been mothballed for quite some time.

Let the buyer beware and do your own due diligence (DYODD).