Thread: Well...I finally did it. Sort of.

Default Well...I finally did it. Sort of.

Many of you may recall that I've been on the fence about a square stern canoe for some time now. We've discussed wether or not to go with aluminum or fiberglass. Then I was looking at Kevlar or Royalex. I bought a Grumman Sport Boat square stern last night, used off a guy via Craigslist. I think I'm already regretting it.

The boat is in pretty darn good condition and the trailer under it isn't too bad either. It has the rigging, brackets, and windlass for the original Grumman sail kit (no mast or sail of course) as well as two sets of oarlocks so as to row from center or stern seats.

I went down to the local DMV this morning (I'm currently in FL) to transfer the title and discovered that the title doesn't match the boat. (I guess I didn't do enough of my due diligence and I accept the blame for it.) The boat is registered as a 2007 HOME MADE boat. (There's a small "HMDE" in the lower left corner of the title.) The lady at DMV said I must be mistaken and the boat must be home made. (It's clearly a Sport Boat and it has serial numbers to prove it.) DMV printed me a new, clear title and registration in my name right there on the spot.

I've been in communication with the seller, who, of course, swears it isn't stolen; he bought it from a long time friend of his father. I called the local Sheriff's office who sent out a deputy and ran the vessel registration numbers (a waste of time as they just gave them to me at DMV, so of course they're going to come back as "good"), and the Hull ID number. There is no record or report of theft and the seller has no prior convictions.

I called Grumman/Marathon Boat Company, the current licensee of the Grumman trademark, but all they could tell me is that the boat was made prior to 1972, because it doesn't have the standard (current) hull ID number pattern, but the numbers do verify that it's a Grumman Sport Boat. (duh, you can tell that by looking at it.) Marathon took over the Grumman trademark in the 80's, so they have next to no info on pre 80's boats anyway.

So that's the background. Here's my dilemma. Something still seems fishy to me. I also anticipate titling issues when I return to Anchorage with it. (Although, that whole "Affidavit of Ownership" thing seems like a cure-all.) The other issue is the trailer has those tiny 12" tires and I"m not sure how long those tires and bearings will last at 80 mph from FL to AK.

My initial plan WAS to hit this boat with paint stripper (somebody painted it royal blue with a krylon rattle can), repaint it tan (or cover it with duck blind vehicle wrap) put my 69 Evinrude on it and make it into a duck boat/fishing boat. Now I'm not so sure.

What do you guys think? Should I just try to resell this thing for what I have in it ($550) or should I spend the additional $60 on trailer registration down here and bring it home? Will I have issues with AK DMV? Will OI ever get this thing titled as a Grumman Sport Boat? (At this point, I can't even confirm the year of manufacture.) I've been looking for one of these for a year now. (I actually had given up entirely and was about to buy a Wenonah Backwater 15, which is identical in almost every dimension, other than the weight.) I dunno. I think I may have screwed up.

Thoughts?

I like the sport boat, I would hang on to it. You can put bigger tires on your trailer. Put the bearing buddies or the oil bath bearings on. Don't drive 80mph.... You can't go wrong with the sport boat....don't worry about it...

I had the same issue with a boat I bought and sold in GA. The title stating “homemade” was an answer the states did for boats when the started registering older boats. My understanding is prior to 72 a title was not required. When explained to me, all states had that clause for the same reason. Scan all the info you have and send in an Email to the DMV. They will answer this direct for you or let you know the issues getting it done.

Boats in AK don't need a title, but trailers do. Unless I am completely mistaken. I have a drift boat that sits on a homemade trailer and the title for the trailer says so. You do need a reegistration when you put a motor on it, but no title for that, as far as I remember.

don't reg. the boat in FL. when the boats were to old to have a Vin number , it was required , it was made up out of air an as it was made up
    they had to call it home made , so I thing you are in good shape , the sportboat is not bad an you will have a good duck boat , the only problem you will have is the eng will stick [ prop ] down a lot an it will give you some problems on that , but for the money spent you did all right
    my 2CTS SID

I agree, you are worrying to much onbrhis. AK is not going to give you any trouble as stated the trailer is allbyou register.
    Never understood it as well, but have 5 watercraft in AK and the last two I bought were in the same situation as you described.
    No issues. Sounds like a hell of a deal!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well guys, thanks for your comments. I found an AK 'Affidavit of Ownership" on the DMV website, which basically says "I swear I bought this legal" you sign it, and you own it, no questions asked. I can even write in "Grumman Sport Boat" It won't say "home made." If AK requires title for trailers, but FL doesn't issue titles for trailers, I see a problem.

In other news, I did some reading on the web today on Sport Boats and Grumman history. I think this might actually be a rather early model, from when they first started making them. Some of the tell tales I found are the TWO separate sets of oar locks that stick out from the sides and the base socket for the sail kit mast permanently mounted in the floor. If I can get a micrometer, I'll measure the metal thickness in the hull. (early bots had thicker hulls.) The s/n makes it the 4,079th sport boat ever made, so I'd like to find someone or somewhere that knows the rough production numbers on these (i.e. about how many boats made per year, or s/n ranges produced in given years) and the first year of production. With a Number that low, even at only 5 boats per day, we're looking at only 3-4 years into production.

Lastly, I haven't told my girlfriend about this yet, and I'm afraid she's going to loose it. So, for me to decide to keep it, might bring a fight on my hands. She doesn't even yet know about the new truck I bought while i was down here.

Here a couple of photos from the original online add. That's where I bought it. Someone painted it blue (and did a good job of it). The trailer has some issues; the more I look at it, the more issues I find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just get it to AK...if you decide then it is to much for ya, you can drop it off at my place..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Just a slight correction folks - I just did the research on boat registration, and according to the DMV website, any boat , regardless of size must be registered if it is propelled by an engine. Trolling motors are excluded. Just take your hull number (or the whole boat if it doesn't have one) and they will give you registration - I think it's only $25.00 for two years.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Just get it to AK...if you decide then it is to much for ya, you can drop it off at my place..
    You'd like that wouldn't you? Nice dog in the photo, yours? Looks like mine (or do you want me to drop him of at your place, too LOL) (BTW, I'm sure there are days my gf would be glad to drop him off at your place.)

Speaking of which, she was not happy NOT HAPPY about having bought this thing. I either have to get here with the money I just got from selling my Dad's bass boat, or leave it here, even if I sell i t at a loss. (Essentially, not go into savings to get it up here.) I'm taking it to the big boat trailer super center place later this week to get the trailer inspected and a list of necessary maintenance before embarking for home. (If I were desperate enough, I could car top it all the way to Anchorage, but my fuel bill will grow exponentially.)

Default New Trailer

Hey you guys,
    I just ordered a new trailer from Continental Trailers (local made right here in FL.) It'll be ready next week, and heading home to ANC Jun 5.

15' galvanized, single axle trailer fully rigged for $675. No tax with my AK driver license. They gave me $150 trade in on the original trailer (which really just negates the set-up fee for rigging/installing everything and moving my Sport Boat over to the new trailer). This also gets me a new, MSO and no hassle with titling in AK.

How does that compare to the cost of a similar trailer in Anchorage?

Replacing wheels/tires/bearings/springs and adding guide posts (I can't see it behind the truck) came up to over 400 so I just chipped in a little extra for the new trailer.

All of this, Sport Boat included, comes in at about the same amount I sold my Dad's bass boat, my Old Town Guide Canoe, and a few other things for on Craigslist, so, thus far, I haven't had to spend any of "my" money on it.

When I get it back, I'll start a new thread on all the work I plan to do to it. (I found original install guide and diagrams from 1960 for the sail rig, and a buddy who sails is going to help me build/replicate a Grumman Sail Kit and sew a sail from a canvas tarp I have. That, of course, is additional to the camo paint and duck boat set up.)

Looking forward to getting out of FL and back home. It sux down here.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    ........(BTW, I'm sure there are days my gf would be glad to drop him off at your place.)

Speaking of which, she was not happy NOT HAPPY about having bought this thing.......
    Most women do that upon the purchase of a boat, airplane, or motorcycle. Listening to her is the price that must be paid for boating.

Our cheapest trailer in Wrangell is $1,250 + tax
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Our cheapest trailer in Wrangell is $1,250 + tax
    Well, Wrangell is quite a bit further from the port than Anchorage, but I'll bet that's not too far off at any rate.

Hmmm. Maybe I should buy two or three of these trailers. LOL

Shoot, I have seen used trailers that cost more than you paid for that one new!

The boat won't require a title here but will need a registration. Nice buy...the older ones are much more sturdy and they make great AK back water boats.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. If and when my gf gives me grief about this, I'll point her here and say "see! it could have cost much more" LOL.

The boat should be ready for pick up in about 10 days. I'll post a photo or two when I get it back.

In the mean time, I'm looking for any info that an help me date the year of manufacture, such as in such and such yer they added or deleted drain hole, or in such and such year, they changed this feature. That boat title registration affidavit in AK has a line for year of manufacture, and, while I know no one is going to research it, I'd like to get close, just so I know.

you can get that info from the hull id number. PM it to me, and I can tell you what year it was manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    you can get that info from the hull id number. PM it to me, and I can tell you what year it was manufactured.

Your PM inbox is full.