Thread: Oar length question for 10' Sotar (pics included)...

Default Oar length question for 10' Sotar (pics included)...

These Sawyer pole cats measure 8.5' but feel a bit long. With so little of the shaft above the oar locks, they feel heavy and out of balance. Any suggestions on the appropriateness of these oars or suggestions for improvement? Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

Dan, carsile blades are a few inches shorter. Or Sawyer can retro fit your existing ones. I Use 8' on my 12' raft. you can also take the grips out and cut a bit off. Give them a ring.
    Good luck,
    Goo

Sawyer will make custom length middle sections for these three piece pole cats. They made these cause these are the same oars I use on my 14.5' Sotar. Looks like I didn't have the middle pieces made short enough. If getting new middle sections made, again, how much shorter should I go? A foot shorter middle section would have OAL at 7.5'. Does that sound about right?

Dan just call them and send photos- tubes are 19" - 24" inside. Tell them your size and what the problem is and they can cut and drill the section you have.
    Good luck- easy folks to work with - The beauty of working with local companies.
    Goo

Dan, forgot to say, just got in my new 34 oz. urethane fabric samples , Much lighter and rolls up much smaller, but just as strong. Made for medical use, so meets all strict standards. Am very excited!! Have a 14' ST SB and a " MOOSE BOAT" being made now. Should be in the 80# range for the self bailer.
    Goo