Thread: Anyone have a Minn Kota?

Default Anyone have a Minn Kota?

I saw them at sportsmens and was wondering what's the best way to set it up. Front of the boat, back of the boat etc. thanks.

What kind of boat and what kind of fishing?

I have a few...one for a 12' aluminum skiff, one for a square stern canoe, and one for my Zodiac for those days when I want the bigger boat for lake trolling, and take one along for ship to shore duties on a friends ocean boat. All of them are equipped for use on the stern. Unless you are a hardcore Pike fisherman, I can't really see the need for a bow-mounted motor in AK.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Some times, it's easier to pull a log chain than push it. I'm guessing it's that way with some boats.

I also have a minn Kota and I like mine. I hang it off the back of my driftboat for lake fishing. I use an extension handle so I can run it from my normal seat.
    Like AK2AZ said it does depend on the type and style of boat you have.
    Most boats that have them off the front have a flat fishing platform area up there to mount them on.
    If you have a traditional style boat then it will be much simpler and easier to run it off the stern.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's a 16ft alweld jet boat. I don't know if I would call myself hardcore but I do fly fish for pike quite a bit. I was thinking of it as a way to cover more ground without starting up the main motor constantly.

Interesting line of thought. Not a pike in sight around here, but I had planned to do a bunch of fly fishing for kings around kelp beds, mostly from the bow and some of it solo fishing. A bow mount with foot controls would sure make a lot of sense, because in a nutshell it will be a lot like pike fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Interesting line of thought. Not a pike in sight around here, but I had planned to do a bunch of fly fishing for kings around kelp beds, mostly from the bow and some of it solo fishing. A bow mount with foot controls would sure make a lot of sense, because in a nutshell it will be a lot like pike fishing.
    Now that sounds like a hoot! This would make some great GoPro footage.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Now that sounds like a hoot! This would make some great GoPro footage.
    Been fishing the kelp for silvers for years, and it IS a hoot. Just never got around to trying it earlier in the year for kings. Low catch rate for sure, but worth all the time for only a few hookups, I bet. Have 10-Weight, will travel.

I think I might go bow mount because my friends fish spin cast, and they tend to put the boat next to trees to limit my casting. I'd rather control it from the front due to those a holes.

I have one for my raft and use it one the back.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have a transom mount that I use on my cataraft & zodiak and a bow mount on my lake fishing boat.
    The bow mount is much better at positioning your boat as the wind doesn't have same effect of pushing the bow sideways as it does when using a stern mounted motor.

Electrics aren't only good for pike and bass fishing. I use mine when fishing pike, whitefish, lakers, grayling.
    They also work well for covering water while lake fishing for rainbows.