Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best pistol for bear defense.

Lightbulb The best pistol for bear defense.

Has finally been answered.

-grin-
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

The ejector rod is too short.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'd wager that anyone packing said pistol would have more than a short, um, ejector...rod to worry about.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Just say'n.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

No good,with that short barrel the muzzle energy is probably down to 5,000fpe.. Wonder how much mag-na-port would help or would it make it louder.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Rough crowd.

Pretty much looks like it's only a single shot. Maybe two rounds max. Then again, I doubt anyone would want to or be able to take that second shot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Just say'n.
    And it would take a barrel two feet longer to burn all that powder !!!

This should be a STICKY to answer all those repeated questions on the subject !

Anyone ever handle one of those old 45-70 revolvers? An old dude living near one of our remote sites has one hanging on his cabin wall with his old 45-70 lever guns. Serious piece of iron.

My brother in-law has one and its a lot of fun to shoot. little bit of a kick but not bad

too heavy...eventually you'll get tired of carrying it. at first it would seem like a good idea and then it would feel more like an albatross you lug around each day for hours and hours. the days would roll by and turn into weeks and then you'll set it down somewhere next to your rifle because you never needed it, and then a bear will stroll by a little too close for comfort. you'll get re-energized to carry it for a while until it starts to feel like an albatross again...that you set down. it won't be that far away its just right there it'll be okay you could get it in a hurry if you needed too...right ? and then eventually you wander out of range and then a bear will stroll by...eventually you would put it in the safe and buy something you feel comfortable wearing all the time. something that you never really think about taking off and setting down somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    too heavy...eventually you'll get tired of carrying it. at first it would seem like a good idea and then it would feel more like an albatross you lug around each day for hours and hours. the days would roll by and turn into weeks and then you'll set it down somewhere next to your rifle because you never needed it, and then a bear will stroll by a little too close for comfort. you'll get re-energized to carry it for a while until it starts to feel like an albatross again...that you set down. it won't be that far away its just right there it'll be okay you could get it in a hurry if you needed too...right ? and then eventually you wander out of range and then a bear will stroll by...eventually you would put it in the safe and buy something you feel comfortable wearing all the time. something that you never really think about taking off and setting down somewhere...
    working with Fish and Game we had a shot gun for bears I would carry it whenever I did counts (I started leaving it at the base of the counting towers after I had a fall but thats a diffrent story) anyways when we would sample fish we would leave the shotgun "close by" in the boat. the one time we had a bear real close it was inbetween us and the "real close" boat!

bear protection like life jackets only help if you have it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Anyone ever handle one of those old 45-70 revolvers? An old dude living near one of our remote sites has one hanging on his cabin wall with his old 45-70 lever guns. Serious piece of iron.
    My dad has a Thompson Center encore with a 45-70 barrel. Not a revolver, but a cool gun, and very accurate.

I guarantee there would be people buying them up. The "I've got the biggest", and compensating for other "areas" of life would be the reasoning as are many other things. Pretty funny. There should be a poll thread with the common calibers that have been voted on by the members so it can be a sticky. Then they can just look at the votes and take what they want from there. There would have to be NO COMMENTS though. It would turn into the normal mess that thread turns into. LOL

AZinAK

Need to file off the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Has finally been answered.

-grin-
    It would work. The ejector rod only needs to lift the shell 1/4" or so for it to release from the chamber.

But still, I think the .600 Nitro Express revolver would be more fun. http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/en/home.html
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    It would work. The ejector rod only needs to lift the shell 1/4" or so for it to release from the chamber.

But still, I think the .600 Nitro Express revolver would be more fun. http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/en/home.html

What is the deal with the trigger?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368159163.186455.jpg

Heres one for the shot gunners
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by dunning View Post

What is the deal with the trigger?
    It's a funky set trigger. The real trigger is a stud/button under the guy's index finger.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast