Thread: Honolulu and east fork chulitna...

Default Honolulu and east fork chulitna...

Hey all, wondering if anyone has fished for rainbows in the East and Middle Fork Chulitna and/or Honolulu in the spring time. Want to make the trip down from Fairbanks, but would like a heads up about what to expect. Anything helps. Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by War1golf View Post
    Hey all, wondering if anyone has fished for rainbows in the East and Middle Fork Chulitna and/or Honolulu in the spring time. Want to make the trip down from Fairbanks, but would like a heads up about what to expect. Anything helps. Thanks folks!
    Give it a month. Drove by this past weekend, no open water in sight from the highway on any fork of the Chulitna. LOTS of snow still present. Might wan to try snowmachining south of the park for the next few weeks!

Yeah it's still a bit early. Chulitna is full of rainbows and there are some to be had in the feeder creeks. Watch out for bears (if you can in the brush) - they're as thick as fleas on Byers, Troublesome, and Honolulu.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I'll echo those comments.

Give it a wee bit.

Thanks fellas. Hopefully it clears up a bit by the start of June, cause I'm headed that way regardless!

I was just looking at this part of the river and wondering he same thing...I will also be coming from Fairbanks but Im glad you posted this or I would have been a waisted trip...Question....How is the trail for little ones...can I take my kids on some of the trails...

As of sunday the entire east for was still almost completely iced in with only a very small channel cutting through the ice. I would classify that and Honolulu as unfishable at this point. I will be re-crossing it thurs night/fri morning and will post an update if anyone is interested.

Drove Parks this past weekend and the first fishable looking water was Montana. And it was high, but you could see how it could be ready soon.

Montana is rising and dirtying as we speak. There is still a good deal of snow in the woods and it has not done its huge blowout for the season yet. Over the past 2 days it has gone from borderline fishable to not worth it in my opinion. There are the traditional "campers" around for memorial day and the fisherman amongst them look pretty dejected. Honolulu and the Chulitna still have significant ice bridges and are unfishable as of 7pm thursday. Troublesome has flowing water and looked to be the best bet in that area to me.

Those streams still unfishable? This weather has given me the itch!!

East fork is running low and dirty with tons of snow still left. You could technically cast into it now but I wouldn't expect much. Ditto for Honolulu. This is as of 4:00 pm sunday.

These creeks still have a ways to go. They need to purge all their shelf ice and then have their big blowout from the mountain snow melt. Neither of these things have happened yet. My best guess is two full weeks till they are fishable and you may be able to float it in 10 days. I'd be careful being the first one down if you are running high and muddy though. The East Fork usually has a new sweeper or two from the winter that needs to be cut out or portaged.