Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen GPS/Depthfinders rugged?

Default Touchscreen GPS/Depthfinders rugged?

Thinking of getting a new GPS/Depthfinder. Lowrance and some other companies have some newer touchscreen displays (like the iphone/ipad have).

Are these any good? Are they rugged and do they hold up?

I have the Garmin 5212 and I love it, the only thing bad about them is when you're under way in rough seas it can be tough to touch the screen where you want to. To overcome that I bought the wireless mouse so I can wrest my wrist on the dash and munipulate the system when I need to look at something while on the move. Much more stable and easier then the standard button pushing is what I've found. I wouldn't go back.
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

Can you just use a standard wireless PC mouse? Or do you have to buy some spendy Garmin mouse?

Also, is there an issue with grubby fish slimed fingers smudging the touchscreen?

The touchscreen on my iPhone doesn't work well with wet hands. It sucks, actually. If the GPS touchscreen doesn't work any better than that, I'm not interested.

Even if the Garmin screen does work well, I'm not eager to put my grimy fishing fingers all over the screen of my new & expensive piece of equipment. I'll take good, old-fashioned buttons, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    The touchscreen on my iPhone doesn't work well with wet hands. It sucks, actually. If the GPS touchscreen doesn't work any better than that, I'm not interested.

Even if the Garmin screen does work well, I'm not eager to put my grimy fishing fingers all over the screen of my new & expensive piece of equipment. I'll take good, old-fashioned buttons, please.
    +1 on what Dan says. I don't think touch-screen is going to go over too well with the fish slayers. Sure, if you ride the cabin and your deckhands do all the fish handling, then it'll work. But if you are a 1 man capt/crew, then touch screen is out, IMO.

Touchscreens are probably great for boating, but probably not so good for fishing.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have had both and all you have to do is wipe your hands before touching either.
    Mine were/are both in the cab of the boat and I usualy don't grab the door handle or the wheel if I have fish slime all over them.
    I prefer the touchscreen so far.
    BK

I have the 740S and it's touchscreen. I love it. Everytime I hop in my buddies boat that has the button GPS, It's so slow and a pain to use.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I kill more fish than most so I consider myself a slayer! I have screen protectors, still on my first one and this will be my 3rd season with the system. I can honestly say I've touched the screen with wet, bloody, fish slimed fingers and it still works fine. The mouse was less than 50.00 as I recall.
    <)))><

The mouse is Bluetooth. Here's a link:
    http://www.amerioutdoors.com/Garmin-...m?feed=Froogle
    <)))><

I've been running a Garmin 740 since last spring, and just got back last night from PWS... I find that cold, wet hands do not make much of a difference. Bumps and touching the wrong area of the screen are more aggravating to me than cold fingers.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

On the 740S can you set it up so it shows fuel usage on the chart screen in the dashboard area?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

The 5212 does
    <)))><

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that iPhones are not a typical touch screen. They use a heat/electrical unicorn blood magic to work. Unlike most other touch screens that acctually use pressure to perform the "touch" function.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have had both and all you have to do is wipe your hands before touching either.
    Mine were/are both in the cab of the boat and I usualy don't grab the door handle or the wheel if I have fish slime all over them.
    I prefer the touchscreen so far.
    BK
    and wipe your feet before going in that nice new ride or Liz will kick yur arse !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Does anyone have a compass on the dash anymore ?? you know the thing with numbers printed in the glass ball with a bubble in it ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Does anyone have a compass on the dash anymore ?? you know the thing with numbers printed in the glass ball with a bubble in it ??
    What is a compass? I have one on my big boat but not on my small one. I do carry a handheld gps in addition to my helm mounted one and i feel comfortable enough without a compass

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Compass on the boat along with paper charts and a hand held backup gps and my cell phone that has a gps and compass as well.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have two. One in the main cabin and one on the fly bridge. Never know when you may have to rely on the old ways.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    On the 740S can you set it up so it shows fuel usage on the chart screen in the dashboard area?
    hmm... no idea. I have a separate fuel monitor gauge so never looked. If I can find the manual I'll see what it says.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast