Thread: Last Rust Bluing job........

Default Last Rust Bluing job........

Chilean Mauser 98 007.jpgfellas, I'm done with these kind of projects for awhile and this little Mauser is my "work" gun so it has special meaning and it turned out well. Jobs like these on a Mauser takes its toll on me as there is quite a number of parts to polish and degrease to get to the point of satisfaction. I've no handy equipment cept' doing all by hand and some stainless pots and snow for boiling.
    That Redfield 70 was a challenge, big fingers holding small parts was a clumsy thing but it turned out nicely. The bolt/striker etc was all done as well and now it is just "seasoning".....safe spot is back in its furniture and not lying around in my reloading area which is somewhat cluttered.
    Somewhere down the road I will try my Gun Goddess solution out......have a few firearms in mind to do.

Pretty. Now imagine you are back-in-the-day at Springfield Armory where all you did was card, steam, card, steam.....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Very nice. Could you comment breifly on the process and chemicals you used, and where you get them? I have tried birchwood casey rust blue on a chunk of scrap steel but was not impressed and that is all I can find in town. I have heard other chemicals are better but can't seem to find anyone that will ship to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    Please educate me on the receiver peep sight. Original? Aftermarket?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nice work Tim. It's nice to have the time and patience to turn out good work.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Please educate me on the receiver peep sight. Original? Aftermarket?
    No Mauser I know of that came about in Military regalia were equipped with rear peep. This particular rifle was original except for additional d/t rear receiver holes for a app sight. I've gone to Ebay and kept my eyes peeled for peep sights for one make of rifle or the other and picked this one up on a win. It is a Redfield Model 70.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Very nice. Could you comment breifly on the process and chemicals you used, and where you get them? I have tried birchwood casey rust blue on a chunk of scrap steel but was not impressed and that is all I can find in town. I have heard other chemicals are better but can't seem to find anyone that will ship to Alaska.
    I had a buddy out of State send me some.......I used the Pilkington Classic Rust Blue Solution. Had for like a couple of years stashed away. Tire of thinking about doing some rust bluing so I got the bug last month and began my interest. It is about polishing, carding and degreasing and boiling. I always use Nitrile gloves I bought out of Brownells.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Nice work Tim. It's nice to have the time and patience to turn out good work.
    Thank you Doug, you're absolutely right about the time and patience factor involved. This turned out nicely.

good thing I did not post a side view of rifle as the question would arise as well... it is equipped with a 2 pc. like trigger similar to the Model 70. Bought that from some good ole chap that owns Alaska Arms LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Pretty. Now imagine you are back-in-the-day at Springfield Armory where all you did was card, steam, card, steam.....
    hahaha...that is funny. don't want to imagine that Nitro....sounds pretty boring. thanks.

The Gun Goddess solution is my favorite. It is more aggressive than Pilkingtons so you want to stay on top of things pretty close, especially the first couple applications. The Pilkingtons never gave me the color I was looking for.

I use Mark Lee express blue for the quick small parts blueing and to do repairs to small areas to be touched up.

Have not done anything with the Gun Goddess yet...been busy thus far. I will keep that in mind. thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by deltagunshop View Post
    The Gun Goddess solution is my favorite. It is more aggressive than Pilkingtons so you want to stay on top of things pretty close, especially the first couple applications. The Pilkingtons never gave me the color I was looking for.

I use Mark Lee express blue for the quick small parts blueing and to do repairs to small areas to be touched up.

Default Olde English bluer

okay,,,,had some spare time in the last week to consider this 48' Remington Model 721 300 HH for a project piece. It was pretty beat up from whomever owned it previously but it was fun taking out the dings on the metal and hand polishing all the metal to see what I can do. End result was a very nice finish, better than than Pilks.
    I do however still need to breakdown the cocking piece and do that and am considering a Jewel trigger for this if I can locate one. The action screws were not done as they were to short for this Bishop stock. Would like to get some long hex or allen, just need to find them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fellas, apologize for not getting to the finished bolt body.....this rifle is done. Gun Goddess looks far better than Pilkingtons.
    Attached Images Attached Images