Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about getting home after hunt on Kodiak...

Default Questions about getting home after hunt on Kodiak...

I'm trying to put together a goat hunt on Kodiak this September and I'm wondering about the logistics after our hunt. If say we get done early, we'll need to change our flight with ERA or Alaska Air. I've never had to change a commercial flight, is this usually pretty easy coming from Kodiak?

Secondly, is getting meat home. When we fly back into Kodiak I'll likely ship the meat home air cargo. Can you check it as extra baggage? Will I need to get meat boxes to take with us to Kodiak, or do places like Andrews usually have some? Or will Alaska Air cargo have something?

This is new to me so forgive me if these sound like stupid questions.

I would suggest you call ERA or AK air and the'll tell you if you can go standby also either Andrews or air service should have boxes. A good wish goes out to you for a safe and successful hunt.

I have always taken wax boxes down with me, but I am sure you can buy them somewhere in Kodiak with all the seafood that gets shipped out of there. I can say that I have not seen them for sale at Andrews in the past. Remember that if you are flying ak air within the state of Alaska you get 3 checked bags free. I usually take meat boxes right at 50 pounds each with me and then ship the rest of the meat and your gear back via air cargo as that is cheaper than paying excess baggage fees. The air cargo office for Alaska air is right at the passenger terminal in Kodiak so it is very convenient.

We had our air service (Kingfisher Aviation) drive us by the store on the way to the airport so we could purchase a couple wax boxes. As for changing dates, it's a common thing to do in Kodiak, but there may be a fee involved. It depends on your ticket - we had to pay extra to come home a day early.

Last oct on my bear hunt I had to switch flights and I had to pay a fee, wasn't bad, I went to Walmart and bought a tub with lid for my hide/skull and paid to have it as extra luggage. I am goat hunting there this oct. and I pretty much figure I will need to pay again to make a change in flights if needed.Good luck and safe travels!

What I do is buy the cheap rubber maid totes and ship my gear in them with a extra duffle bag in each. If successful I pack hide, skulls and meat in the totes and tape them shut and pack my gear in the duffle bags and pay extra bag fees. Alaska charges 50 bucks for bags up to 99 lbs, I also recommend a cheap travel scale, makes packing so much easier.

For tickets I have had to change my return every time. Can be done online and is cheaper than calling and doing it. The last time I just waited until I was back in town to book my return flight. If you have a weather delay Andrews can give you a letter to take to the ticket counter to change your ticket fee free.

I highly recommend the totes, because they don't like to have leakage in any form going from your bags. At 50 bucks for 99lbs, that is cheaper than shipping it as cargo, plus it arrives with you.

We stay at the Best Western and they let us store our totes in their walkin to keep the meat cold.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 for the tips from Stid. Totes and a duffle bags work well.

In 2006 six of us come to Alaska fishing. We had a very good trip and caught several fish as well. We went to the UPS store and shipped our luggage home so we could bring our fish back in place of our luggage. We sent three of the wax boxes of fish back and three coolers taped shut full of froze and vacuum packed fish. When we got back to the airport our fish was nowhere to be found. We stayed at the airport for about ten hours waiting for our fish and finally started home without it. I left my cell phone number with a lady at the airport and we had traveled about 40 miles heading home and she called and said they had found our fish. We turned around and went and got them and they were still froze solid. We checked the waxed boxes with a thin foam liner in them and the coolers and the fish in both were froze about the same. We left Anchorage and flew into Los Vegas, then into Philly, then on to North Carolina. We was very happy to get our fish before they ruined.

Thanks a lot everyone! That definitely helps and I like the tote ideas.

+1 on totes. Make sure to buy ones that nest (we have had the best luck with the flexible Rubbermaid) so that you can bring five or six nested together with lids taped together. I drill holes around the lid two holes on each side of the tote through the lid and lip of the tote and use zip ties to hold it shut on the way home. The totes are cheaper than fish boxes, nest and will not leak and are also great for hauling gear, as tables, get and store water, and to organize gear in camp. As long as there have to been any weather issues it is usually not an issue changing tickets. I live in Kodiak and would be glad to help in anyway I can just drop me a line.

Hey Mossy I dont know if you have checked into it or not but when I went to Kodiak for a deer hunt I took my side by side down and carried everything on that. The winter rates were not that bad at all and the driver goes free. It was a lot cheeper than taking era and we were able to carry all our gear with us without having to pay for extra baggage. I just parked my truck in Homer and drove the side by side on the ferry and its perfectly legal. It seemed like the ferry was running about every two or three days so the timing for us was great. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
    Tony

I've had to do this twice from Kodiak, as recent as two days ago. Just go to the counter and submit your request. Shouldn't cost more than $100 to change. Buddy purchased a full flex fare through AK Airlines and had his ticket swapped for free. I purchased mine with frequent flyer miles, therefore it cost me $100 to change dates. In both of our cases, we had flights booked through AK Airlines, but returned to Anchorage and Fairbanks respectively via ERA who AK Airlines is partnered with.

Four of us did a goat hunt (draw permit) on Kodiak in Oct. a few years ago and we put a full size Chevy Duramax on the ferry out of Homer, we parked it where Roland keeps his beaver, it was fairly reasonable considering we split everything 4 ways. We also grabbed some deer tags prior to heading out. It was a great hunt saw alot of goats, deer, foxes and bears. It was nice to have the truck because we traveled around the road system too and explored the island and camped around while we waited for the ferry. let me know if you have any questions...

Hey guys, thanks for the extra tips. I looked at the ferry but it seemed like it would be easier to change a plane ticket instead of trying to wait for the ferry. Plus, we'll be able to get to kodiak and back on airmiles. However, it'd be nice to have the truck with coolers and all. But we'll burn up a lot more time with the 5 hour trip to homer and 10 hours on the ferry each way. I'm thinking we'll probably fly.

Anyone ever bowhunt for goats down there?

Do like Stid said and either pack some totes or just have your air taxi shuttle take you to Wal-Mart in Kodiak so you can buy some. I'd highly recommend flying with Roland at Sea Hawk. He's a top notch pilot and their service is great. Last fall they had the best prices of all the charters I checked with on the island. Change fees on Alaska Air are no big thing if you have to change dates. Pack an electric bear fence for that hunt. They're worth every penny when you're covered in goat blood and there's a bunch of hungry brown bears sniffing around outside.

Like Jimmy & Jeff mentioned, since most of us by the cheapest air fare possible or miles you will have to pay the change fee on the way out. Not a big deal just plan on it. Have done the ferry with the vehicle & that works nice if you have the extra time. Also have used NAC for back haul & now that they are gone used ACE last fall. We used Ace this last time to going both ways & it made it easier but the convenience cost an extra $100 + each way. But didnt' have to lug & check in the arctic oven, two action packers, & even shipped a propane container down & back. Just know your options so you can make the decision once you are in the beaver heading out of the field. Even with a weather day @ the main airport you shouldn't have any problems with hides or meat. Heck a couple yrs ago we spent an extra night & had Roland drop us @ the Best Western, they put the meat boxes in the cooler for us & I caped out a head in the bathtub.

Ok, the trip is booked!!! I'm really excited! I ended up going with Seahawk Air. They were able to get us into a less pressured lake that another air service doesn't fly to. Anyway, with a 1200 lb payload, we should have a nice camp and great time in the alpine.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Hey all,

I got a hunt (DG476) in october and just want to thank you all, you answered some questions I had.

good luck mossyhorn

ACE Cargo has been really good here also. Go see Doug at ACE at the airport. They have the mail contract and fly back haul to Anchorage for alot less.

I took in another bear last night (taxidermy) from a kodiak bear, Guy got it Monday, called me Tuesday from a Sat phone.. said his flight wasnt until friday out of their.. Long story short he got ahold of the charter guys, they picked him up. .then in kodiak he switched stuff and flights im sure.. got in yesterday morning and dropped his bear off.. its now fleshed, turned and salted.. Good to go.. so this is first hand (recent) knowledge. .If yo uwant to talk to the guy, shoot me a PM .I can give you his name and number.. Not sure if he is on this site or not.. But im sure if asked, he would be more than happy to tell ya how and what he did..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast