Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook and release king fishing on susitna river.

Default Hook and release king fishing on susitna river.

Retention of king salmon in the susitna river drainage restricted to 2 kings from the deshka only. Every where else on the Susitna is hook and release only. Is one still required to have a king stamp for hook and release?

that doesent seem like a way to solve the problem,.. now everyones gonna crowd the deshka which will probly also result in an early closure,..sad sad

I believe to target kings you must have a king stamp. Kind of silly since you cant keep them in most places but those are the rules as I understand them.

Hopefully they set some troopers out at the Deshka. Since retention is limited there are sure to be some rule violators out there. I personally saw a guy last year with 5 kings on a stringer and he was in a boat by himself. I tried to call him in but I didnt have service out there.

Does anyone know if there is a radio channel to call violators in on?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Maybe he was fishing a couple proxies

Maybe he was poaching!

They should shut it down. IMNSHO they should shut down the salt, shut down Kodiac, shut down all of the KP rivers. Shut down the commercial guys (the 'restricted' cook inlet fisher is a F'n joke boyz). Put big fines on the bycatch and torpedo the foreign boat poachers!

These fish won't come back guys...if we kill them all.

Whew - I feel a little better now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Maybe he was poaching!

They should shut it down. IMNSHO they should shut down the salt, shut down Kodiac, shut down all of the KP rivers. Shut down the commercial guys (the 'restricted' cook inlet fisher is a F'n joke boyz). Put big fines on the bycatch and torpedo the foreign boat poachers!

My family doesn't think the cook inlet fishery is a joke, been putting food on the table since the 60`s.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

And drop a bomb on all beaver dams and stop any out of state people from fishing here. No smoking, chewing on or near any waterway in Alaska. Stop birds from coming into the state without a clean bill of health. Stop all oil extraction, and mining in the state. No burning of wood, coal, or anything that may give off smoke or leave a ash. No use of motors in any vehicles, Boats, Cars, Planes, Trains. We must remove all structures within one mile of any waterway in the state. Send all teachers and students to the lower 48.

I feel better now too!

Thank God no one will ever do what you or I would like to see
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Maybe he was poaching!

Mighty short-sighted to place 100% of the Susitna basin's harvest pressure on ONE tributary stream.

Can you say, "DUM'R'N'HELL ?"

Anyone remember what happened to Kasilof the first time the Kenai closed to kings?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Truly is a crappy plan to concentrate all the fisherman, both resident sport fisherman and commercial guides, on one river system. I see lots of boat accidents waiting to happen, grouchy guides, and a river system that will be overfished.
    I'm wondering if they left it open to keep the guides from whining and give them a place to fish so they didn't have a huge percenatge of cancellations. Afterall, most of the guides have boats and this fishery requires a boat to access it.
    I don't think it is making the minimum escapemnet the last couple years even though the bio's claim it is. They just keep expanding the minimum # needed with a new "study" and claim all is OK.
    From locals on the river that have had cabins out there since the 70's, the river barely has any kings left.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Retention of king salmon in the susitna river drainage restricted to 2 kings from the deshka only. Every where else on the Susitna is hook and release only. Is one still required to have a king stamp for hook and release?
    Yes, you are required to purchase a king stamp if you are fishing for them...if you plan on catching & releasing, it would be better for the fish if you use barbless hooks.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I'm pretty sure this is a huge driver to reg changes etc. I just wish they would shut the whole thing down period! Like they have done many years ago. I guess alot of people weren't around to rember that (70's) Back then if they needed to change a reg or shut something down because of sound scientific reasons or just plain #'s issues, they just did it. There wasn't hoards of guides, anglers associations etc. etc. pitching a fit, and if there was back then, they probably would have said tough SH#&! Not nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'm wondering if they left it open to keep the guides from whining and give them a place to fish so they didn't have a huge percenatge of cancellations. Afterall, most of the guides have boats and this fishery requires a boat to access it.

From locals on the river that have had cabins out there since the 70's, the river barely has any kings left.
    BK
    Yep, just like all the other streams in Mat Su period. The amount of fish they seem to thing is a fine escapement now, you used to be able to see at one time in one stretch of river.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Mighty short-sighted to place 100% of the Susitna basin's harvest pressure on ONE tributary stream.

Can you say, "DUM'R'N'HELL ?"

Anyone remember what happened to Kasilof the first time the Kenai closed to kings?
    That was ugly and it will be even uglier in the Valley. Why? Driftboat vs. unlimited hp power boats. Think it's time for me to pursue stocked lakes for trout.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    My family doesn't think the cook inlet fishery is a joke, been putting food on the table since the 60`s.

I didn't say that the commercial fishery was a joke. I think that the joke part is that the new "restrictions" aren't much of a restriction due to the increase in fishing time allotted to the comercial fishery in the cook inlet a few years back. Aren't you fishing just about the same time with these new "restrictions" that you got to fish several years ago?

A pretty general statement - but if you want I can probably dig up the numbers....

Pretty simple - if the fisheries are not shut down, the fish will be gone and you and I won't bring them back.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post

Happy for you & your family, BUT sure hope you guys have a back-up plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

Unit 4 (except Talachulitna) on Susitna River drainage is also open for retaining Kings, albeit Sat-Mon only. The Little Susitna (also Sat-Mon retention) also counts towards the combined 2 Kings from Susitna River drainage and Little Susitna.

But agreed that the majority of the pressure for retention may fall on the Deshka.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidless View Post
    Maybe he was fishing a couple proxies
    You can't fish multiple proxies. You can only fish for yourself and one beneficiary in the same day. (ADFG Southcentral Fish Regs, Page 5)

Yep, kind of like Bullelkklr's earlier reply: ""Maybe he was poaching!""

Quote Originally Posted by cranderson View Post

You can't fish multiple proxies. You can only fish for yourself and one beneficiary in the same day. (ADFG Southcentral Fish Regs, Page 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Thanks for your concern, maybe when the commercial fishing gets shut down my family can mow the sportfishermans yards while they are out fishing lol.

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Why would he need a back-up plan? Do you know something, or just blowing smoke out of your south 40? The gill netters have given more then any other group! Other groups just think that they have more right to the fish. I gill net in the inlet, and love to sport fish the rivers. From what I see one person doing C&R for kings kills more in one year then I have in the last three years. Gary I hope you and your family have a back-up plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

just remenber there is a high by pass catch, an drop fish from the set nets an gill nets is there any way to cut it down ??????????

Could you give some true numbers and facts. What is by pass catch? Is that C&R. How many drop fish? Go from 45 mesh to 60 or 90 mesh would help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    just remenber there is a high by pass catch, an drop fish from the set nets an gill nets is there any way to cut it down ??????????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast