Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bows in Montana Creek?

Default Spring Bows in Montana Creek?

I'm making the trek from Nenana to Montana Creek on the 19th in search of some spring Rainbows! I've never fished the stream before and I have loads of questions that I can't seem to find any answers to by any conventional means in Fairbanks (I haven't found anyone who drives that far just to sport fish). We still are frozen up pretty good here, I hope the water is flowing down in that area. So, questions.... Up stream or towards the confluence? I've got some sculpins and dali lamas... what else is suggested? 4wt or 5? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!

If you mean May 19th, you may be hard pressed to find fishable water.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Yeah, May 19th... I did talk to a local area guide down there who seemed optimistic about the river conditions in the coming week or so. We can only hope this crazy spring weather doesn't throw us another screwball.

You might try to call 3 rivers fly shop as it gets closer, they might have some condition reports for you.

I will thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by War1golf View Post
    I'm making the trek from Nenana to Montana Creek on the 19th in search of some spring Rainbows! I've never fished the stream before and I have loads of questions that I can't seem to find any answers to by any conventional means in Fairbanks (I haven't found anyone who drives that far just to sport fish). We still are frozen up pretty good here, I hope the water is flowing down in that area. So, questions.... Up stream or towards the confluence? I've got some sculpins and dali lamas... what else is suggested? 4wt or 5? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!
    We should meet. I have driven way farther than that just to sport fish! Going down and fishing those waters on June 2 on way to a week in Wasilla. Did the same thing two years ago and found no action on Chulitna or Honolulu Creek, but once I hit Troublesome, it was game on with dali lamas, olive and white. My favorite hole had the super tall cut bank slide into it though so we will see where the fish are this year. I spent most of my time that day at Troublesome since I was catching so many and therefore ran out of time to do much at Montana. Since then, I've found access points to upper Montana I didn't know about then and want to explore. PM me if you want a fishing partner. I'm a teacher and have a hard time finding people with the time I have to fish. Also going to master the Upper Chena this year since I just moved to 8 mile CHSR.
    P.S. I'm also an addicted golfer...not sure if your username is a literal golf reference or not.

KMac, I went to Honolulu twice I think last summer, and didn't have any luck either time. I went by myself though, so I didn't stray terribly far from the highway. I'm sure there are fish there, just prefer having someone to go with. I work a unique schedule that gives me three days off a week, so I certainly have the time, just not the experience. I'm a novice flyfisherman at best, but I am motivated. If you want to arrange a trip to try out those waters let me know! I tried sending you a pm, but the site won't let me... Shoot me a message and we'll figure something out! Lets do It!

I'm no golfer by the way, I was a combat engineer in the Army for 4 years, and war1golf was my radio call sign on my first trip to the dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by War1golf View Post
    KMac, I went to Honolulu twice I think last summer, and didn't have any luck either time. I went by myself though, so I didn't stray terribly far from the highway. I'm sure there are fish there, just prefer having someone to go with. I work a unique schedule that gives me three days off a week, so I certainly have the time, just not the experience. I'm a novice flyfisherman at best, but I am motivated. If you want to arrange a trip to try out those waters let me know! I tried sending you a pm, but the site won't let me... Shoot me a message and we'll figure something out! Lets do It!

I'm no golfer by the way, I was a combat engineer in the Army for 4 years, and war1golf was my radio call sign on my first trip to the dessert.
    I tried to pm you and it wouldn't let me. Check your profile settings. In the mean time if you're on Facebook, you can find me "Kevin McHenry" or text me at 9063785446. Here's what I wrote on pm attempt.

It looks like they changed the format of pm'ing a bit I had a hard time figuring out where to click to get this to you, but now we should both be able to just hit reply. Anyway, I'm in the middle of moving in to a new house so no thoughts on fishing any time in the next few weeks. HOWEVER, I am going to be fishing my way to wasilla on June 2. Only have that day to fish so will be leaving at the butt crack of dawn. You're welcome to follow me down there and do some spring now fishing. After that, the most sure thing I could tell you is several day trips to upper Chena for grayling starting in end of June. I have a cataraft but you really don't need to float it. I have several more road trips on the calendar for other species and will let you knowing there's an empty seat.

Looks like I'm gonna miss you on that Chulitna trip in the begining of June, I'll be there on the 3rd. But I'll hit you up for some pointers if you fish it on the 2nd! I've fished the Chena a few times over the 5 years I've been up here, and always had success with the small grayling. I've yet to hit Clear Creek in Delta, but I know there are some decent grayling there... In the 20in ball park even. Other than those trips, and my subsistnace dip netting adventure to the Kenai, I'm open if you don't mind a novice flyfisherman tagging along!

Any word on the fishing on Montana Creek? How are you guys doing down that way? I have 2 weeks before summer semester starts and I'd sure like to give that creek a go. Happy spring everyone!

-Jeff

War1golf - just post a few more times and your PMs will work. There's a minimum post count required for that feature to be enabled. I think it might be ten posts....?

At any rate, best of luck fishing this summer. I'm a budding fly fisherman myself, but I really haven't even started yet. I'm building my first fly rod to get into it this season.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If you mean May 19th, you may be hard pressed to find fishable water.
    You mean THIS year? Or in General?

May 11 Last year.

And fish were being caught Well before then too..

Nice fish man.

And no, not in general. If this was a normal year, folks wouldn't still be rockin studs on their rigs, legally, until about a week before Memorial Day.....

Hell, at this stage I'm just hoping to not have to dodge ice shelves, with the raft, on the Kenai Opener..

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Drove over montana creek 20 minutes ago. Not high but very brown. Still lots of snow around as well all over the banks, the big melt has not yet happened. Good luck finding anything in there.

Heading down Sunday, hopefully it has cleared up a little by then. Will post some photos if we catch anything more than a buzz.

Forecast says snow, Saturday......

Just go....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Just go....
    Like! I would paraphrase your signature to say something like "I am not against so-called "bad weather" since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering some pretty darn fine fishing days". Slap on a few layers of fleece and some gore-tex, good glacier gloves (or go gloveless if you're hard core), put a headband under your ball cap and put some casts out there! Bad weather is only a problem to folks sitting around indoors looking out at it! Ok, so there is my hard-line on Alaska conditions. Kindly smack me down if you ever hear me complain about weather! My only complaint would be that my coffee cream freezes overnight, but my wife killed that one by dropping some Bailey's into my backpack, thereby robbing me of my only complaint! Oh yeah, chipping ice out of my guides seperates the nails from my fingers and bleeds a bit...

... oops, smack me down!

P.S. my hard line on weather above does NOT, I repeat, NOT apply to nautical and aviation situations!

Thanks, icb. I kind of needed to reminisce a little. And for as much as I despise those (Patagonia!) waders, they sure hold one hell of a beer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast