Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Denali Highway Clean Up Day - June 1st!

Thumbs up 1st Annual Denali Highway Clean Up Day - June 1st!

We are putting together the clean up day! The date will be June 1st! Bring your wheelers, or just drive your vehicle. We'll do the highway and the trails everywhere we can get. With the huge number of hunters up here last fall, there is a lot of trash out there. Going to be a fun day! Alpine Creek Lodge will be offering free beds for Friday and Saturday night. First reservation, first serve! We'll do it as a potluck, so bring your favorite dish! We are working on other sponsors so we can get a dumpster here at the lodge. We think we have a sponsor for garbage bags, vests, pickers, etc. We'll have rv parking also. Give Jennifer a call to reserve your free bed at 907-743-0565 (No 907 needed if calling from Anchorage or Eagle River).

We look forward to seeing you out here!

Claude, Jennifer and Little Bob.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

My family will help out for sure. We will bring our RV and wheelers. Calling for a reservation now.

Good on you Claude - very generous! Will see if I can't make it out.

This is a great idea! I may join in the fun. With the late Spring I was wondering when things would open up down there.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    We are putting together the clean up day! The date will be June 1st! Bring your wheelers, or just drive your vehicle. We'll do the highway and the trails everywhere we can get. With the huge number of hunters up here last fall, there is a lot of trash out there. Going to be a fun day! Alpine Creek Lodge will be offering free beds for Friday and Saturday night. First reservation, first serve! We'll do it as a potluck, so bring your favorite dish! We are working on other sponsors so we can get a dumpster here at the lodge. We think we have a sponsor for garbage bags, vests, pickers, etc. We'll have rv parking also. Give Jennifer a call to reserve your free bed at 907-743-0565 (No 907 needed if calling from Anchorage or Eagle River).

We look forward to seeing you out here!

Claude, Jennifer and Little Bob.
    Way to go Claude and family. That's what I call "paying it forward " Hope for good weather and a huge turnout. Thanking you guys from here in Soldotna.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I am from down in the states but have been to Alaska a few times and crossed the Denali Highway from Paxton one year and back from Cantwell another. Such a beautiful ride that you could take a picture almost anywhere and make a postcard from it. Many thanks from me and many others for having the initiative and energy to take on this task. Really hope you get a good turn out and I would LOVE to be there to help but I can`t!!!!!

I specifically recall this proposal from last fall, after folks in various parts of the State were upset about the litter left laying around during/after moose season, etc.If I recall correctly, the initial plan (before winter decided to hang out all summer) was to hold the event in May. I was one who agreed to try and make it, and recall there being a respectable number of folks who stated similarly.We're mildly to moderately pinched right now for cash, and I'll need to see who (either a family member or friend) can house-sit/dog-sit for our two dogs for that week-end, but we'll make an effort to get there.. I'm also gathering signatures pretty steadily for the referendum re. the Governor's Oil Tax Credit Give-Away, and feel pretty committed to dedicating LOTS of time to that effort, so there's a very serious likelihood that there'll be a petition booklet or three (or four) in my truck, or what ever vehicle we drive down in, as that period of time is smack dab in the midst of the signature drive... I hope that doesn't change the hue of the welcome mat.As for favorite dishes for the pot-luck, there's a chance we'll bring some moose burger to grill on a portable charcoal grill, maybe some of last summer's halibut, ling cod, etc., some of my wife's pickled beet, rice, and garbanzo salad, and/or something that can be stored for the duration of the week-end most easily. Will there be refrigeration for grub brought for the effort? Lastly, that's a lot of road and trails to focus on. Last fall I recall perceiving the focus area as being in the general vicinity of the Lodge, but now it sounds like it may be much more broad than that. Perhaps someone could clarify re. the specifics of the area to be targeted?

Default Note to Admin:

I typed the message below with neatly spaced paragraphs, with plenty of space between each paragraph, and the jumbled mess below is what appeared. So I tried two or three times afterward to separate the paragraphs again, and each time I re-posted my message, the 'system' re-grouped it into a lumped, single paragraph. What gives? (I'm on a 56k dial-up with fairly ancient telephone wires, and a Windows 7 operating system, but this is the only place this mess occasionally happens out of all the sites I visit and infrequently comment at...) Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    I specifically recall this proposal from last fall, after folks in various parts of the State were upset about the litter left laying around during/after moose season, etc.If I recall correctly, the initial plan (before winter decided to hang out all summer) was to hold the event in May. I was one who agreed to try and make it, and recall there being a respectable number of folks who stated similarly.We're mildly to moderately pinched right now for cash, and I'll need to see who (either a family member or friend) can house-sit/dog-sit for our two dogs for that week-end, but we'll make an effort to get there.. I'm also gathering signatures pretty steadily for the referendum re. the Governor's Oil Tax Credit Give-Away, and feel pretty committed to dedicating LOTS of time to that effort, so there's a very serious likelihood that there'll be a petition booklet or three (or four) in my truck, or what ever vehicle we drive down in, as that period of time is smack dab in the midst of the signature drive... I hope that doesn't change the hue of the welcome mat.As for favorite dishes for the pot-luck, there's a chance we'll bring some moose burger to grill on a portable charcoal grill, maybe some of last summer's halibut, ling cod, etc., some of my wife's pickled beet, rice, and garbanzo salad, and/or something that can be stored for the duration of the week-end most easily. Will there be refrigeration for grub brought for the effort? Lastly, that's a lot of road and trails to focus on. Last fall I recall perceiving the focus area as being in the general vicinity of the Lodge, but now it sounds like it may be much more broad than that. Perhaps someone could clarify re. the specifics of the area to be targeted?

Thanks for the notes and replies! We are excited about this event. So to clarify some things. This is a one day event. Rooms for the night before and night after are free, first call, first reserve. Welcome mat stays the same out here, not matter what your political views, religious views, or any views are, as long as we are respecting the other guests. Sounds great on the gun, ruffle! We'll have plenty of refrigeration and freezer available.

As far as the area, I don't see any reason to not do the entire highway. If we get some places, and not others, so be it. This will allow folks to maybe work on their favorite area up here on the highway, and surrounding trails. I personally plan on working on Hatchet Lake trail, and possibly Windy Creek, and along the highway.

We'll be providing our two Polaris Crew's that we will be driving, but we'll have a lot of seating available! We are still working on getting a dumpster provided, but if we don't get one, we can put everything in a pile at the lodge and I'll haul it away all summer.

Still lots of snow up here, but it should be mostly gone by June 1st. Call Jen if you need a room! 907-743-0565.

Did they open the road yet this spring?
    Great idea in the clean up!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake,
    We are still waiting for the road to open all the way across. There is no less than several feet of snow up the Clearwater, Valdez, Windy, etc. No brown even on the tops of the mountains as of yet. They have plowed from Cantwell to MP 61, so you can get here. I heard they are only to MP 20 or so from the Paxson side. Crazy spring!

The clean up is going to be a blast!!

Claude

Sounds like you've still got some great
    Bear hunting conditions out there!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the replies, Claude. I guess now is perhaps the proper time to remind my wife that we discussed this adventure last fall. She's crawled out from under the incredible amount of reports, grant-writing, etc., etc., ad nauseum, that she was buried beneath, and so will likely be as amenable as is possible for such a trip. I wish my son's German Shepherd dog were more social; I'd leave the m'lute on his line with ample H2O and chow, and bring the GSD down with us, but she thinks everyone is an intruder, even when we're on -their- turf... Always a bit embarrassing!! (*Strangely enough, the last time I posted, the board would at least permit me to type in paragraphs, but would present my post in a jumbled mess. Now the board won't even allow me to type in paragraphs in the pre-posted message reply box! This is the only site I visit where I experience this phenomenon. Odd..) Anyway, we'll let you know when we're confirmed for the trip. Thanks again.

Claude,

Can you give me the number to the people that you are trying to get the dumpster through and maybe I can call and drop a "sponsor" name and see if that gets us a call back with a price for droppig the dumpster off and hauling it away. You can pm me the name and number.

Eric

Claude,

The trip is planned with the Boy Scouts. The troop I help out with will be cooking a pancake/waffle breakfast for everyone. I also spoke with the great people over at Three Bears grocery and told them about the clean up event and they have agreed to donate most of the breakfast food. They were awesome and said they would donate enough eggs, ham, and syrup to feed the masses. I'll be bringing enough pancake and waffle batter for at least 40-50 people.

The boys are excited to go. It will be great to help out with the clean up. I'll talk to you soon.

I spoke with my wife about the event, and, after she agreed to the schedule, etc., I arranged for a family member to watch the house and dogs while we're down there. I then phoned Jennifer and made arrangements for a room for my wife and I, as well as our 9-year-old son. We'll hopefully get headed that way early enough on the 31st to avoid arriving too late in the evening. My diet's more limited than my son's and wife's, but I can bring what ever I need for myself, and they'll be happy to chow on almost anything that's put in front of them, I'm sure. We're still planning to bring some moose burger, and I re-discovered a half-dozen fillets of our smoked salmon that were sealed tightly and kept frozen at way cold temperatures, so that's a start. Then there's the salad(s) I mentioned earlier. See ya' there.

Great deal 907!! Sounds like it's going to be a blast! Cant' wait to see the scouts in action! Looking forward to seeing you up here ruffle! Will be a fun couple of nights. Any word on the dumpster, 1S1K? If nothing else, we'll haul what we can out, and just put the rest in a pile at the lodge.

Road update! They are still trying to open the Denali Highway. They have plowed from Cantwell to MP 58 as of today, and only to MP 16 from the Paxson side. I expect it to be open all the way by June 1st. With the snow cover still holding in there, we may not be able to get on all the trails, but not to worry, we'll find plenty of trash, I'm sure. We are still now machining everywhere up here! So come out and take some bears out before the clean up. The moose are going to be hurting with deep snow, hungry bears and new calves hitting the ground any day.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Great deal 907!! Sounds like it's going to be a blast! Cant' wait to see the scouts in action! Looking forward to seeing you up here ruffle! Will be a fun couple of nights. Any word on the dumpster, 1S1K? If nothing else, we'll haul what we can out, and just put the rest in a pile at the lodge.

Road update! They are still trying to open the Denali Highway. They have plowed from Cantwell to MP 58 as of today, and only to MP 16 from the Paxson side. I expect it to be open all the way by June 1st. With the snow cover still holding in there, we may not be able to get on all the trails, but not to worry, we'll find plenty of trash, I'm sure. We are still now machining everywhere up here! So come out and take some bears out before the clean up. The moose are going to be hurting with deep snow, hungry bears and new calves hitting the ground any day.
    Claude - no one has given me a call back. I was hoping you or Jen could give me the name and phone number of the people that you've been calling and I will call them and drop the "sponsor" name and see if that gets us anywhere. If we don't end up with a dumpster I'm sure whoever shows up can haul some of it out in our trucks and trailers.

Thanks, Claude. I don't know how much road we'll get cleaned with two aging folks and a youngster, but we'll lend a hand as best as we can. I've adjusted the grub list a bit, figuring that we need to bring something that's easy to transport, ready to eat, will feed a goodly number of persons, etc. Anyway, I still have several decent (large) fillets of fresh salmon left from the stash last year. They've been kept -15 to -20 f., and are in really good shape (we recently made some salad with them, after baking some for dinner). Anyway, I figured I'd make up a large amount of deluxe salmon salad, to be served with/on Taco Loco corn chips, alongside my wife's brown rice, pickled beet, garbanzo bean and onion (etc., etc. ) salad; good stuff, and we have lots of jarred pickled beets left from a couple crops ago. I'll still be bringing the portable grill with some moose burger, and likely some home-made whole wheat burger buns. Aside from that, we'll toss in some snacks, but I assume that we're eating lunch on our own out on the trails and roads, then having a community feed on Saturday night. I still need to either fix up a holster for my wife's .454 custom, or choose another sidearm for our day out in the bush picking trash. Lots to do here at our property still, and that'll more than keep us busy until the trip down.

Road conditions update... doesn't look good.

Denali Highway from Parks Highway to Richardson Highway
    Closures: Road closure
    Warnings:
    Obstructions: Obstruction on roadway
    Notes: Closed until further notice. State maintenance crews are continuing to plow the road. There are washouts at MP130, MP102 and MP87 which are impassable. Crews are working to repair these areas.

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast