Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedliner for boat application

Default Bedliner for boat application

Have you guys used any of the spray on bedliner on your boats?
    seems to hold up well on fiberglass surfaces but I've seen it flake and peel on a small aluminum skiff deck, and geez it was a mutha to get the rest of it off that did stick well. After trying all types of grinding wheel attachments, discovered that a weed burner propane torch worked the best, heat & scrape.
    thinking of using it on the Hewes cabin exterior, the factory grey splatter paint is showing its age and the stuff I'm looking at buying (Raptor) can be paint tinted. Supposed to quiet stuff down too, maybe insulate better as well.

going to buy some for 2 truck projects first for a trial run.

You can thin speedliner and spray it with the pressure pot, but like you said on aluminum it can be a pain. Blast, treat, prime, then start the speedliner steps. I did thin the speedliner and roll it was ok, but not great.

Never done it myself, but a bud decided to do his aluminum deck. He did a great job, but then discovered it's impossibly slick with the least bit of fish slime or frost. The big mess came when he ripped it all up. Ultimately he settled on epoxy paint with a little bit of fine sand scattered over it while wet. That's a notably good surface.

You may want to investigate Kiwigrip... http://www.kiwigrip.com/ ..I used it on my project and it is hard core stuff for all surfaces and not difficult to apply. Easier with a helper, but I did mine solo. I don't know what spray in bed liner costs..this stuff ain't cheap but a gallon goes a long way and doesn't go bad in the can so leftovers can be saved for touch ups/other projects. Product can be color matched. Home Depot tinted mine for free. Prep is simple..clean surface scuff sanded. I'm in Anchorage..if you would like to see an application in the flesh, pm me.

i recently did herculiner on the bow, gunnels, and windshield of my weldcraft jet. it was all over aluminum but i took the time to clean to bare metal, acid etch the aluminum, wash, then self etching prime the whole thing before applying 3 coats of the liner. can't speak for the long run yet but it turned out pretty nice and i've tried to peel some, no go. its stuck very tight from what i can tell. its all in the prep, work hard and take your tiem and it'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    i recently did herculiner on the bow, gunnels, and windshield of my weldcraft jet. it was all over aluminum but i took the time to clean to bare metal, acid etch the aluminum, wash, then self etching prime the whole thing before applying 3 coats of the liner. can't speak for the long run yet but it turned out pretty nice and i've tried to peel some, no go. its stuck very tight from what i can tell. its all in the prep, work hard and take your tiem and it'll be fine
    I expect it will serve you well. I did my pickup bed with herculiner in '04. There's been plenty of lumber and stuff in and out of that bed over the years. It remains virtually new. Heavy/sharp stuff can gouge it if you're not careful but areas adjacent to wounds hold fast and don't tend to peel up.

+1 for the prep. The stuff needs a rough surface to adhere too. Aluminum can be really smooth. Put some sand paper on it and then clean it well and it will likely never come off. Im lazy so I used a sanding wheel attached to my angle grinder when I put this stuff on my boat trailer. I had to clean a small patch off to ground the lights and I had to use a chisel. It wouldnt give up. Tough stuff when properly applied.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Talk to John at Alaska auto Armor... He sprayed many boat.. There bed liner are best in town
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

My fiberglass boat had the rear deck completely rhino lined ( or something similar) before I bought it. It seems to be holding up well. It was textured, so no slippage problems that I have encountered. Seems to deaden the hull noise as well.....

kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

I might go with the Raptor liner; saw a vid of it, way easy to apply, comes with a spray gun and sprays right out of the plastic bottle.
    plus I can get it here in Homer and can tint it.
    Matt, thought about the Speedliner but I want to do it at my leisure and don't want the cleanup of a pot setup. Not incredibly fond of the texture of the Speedliner I've seen. Guess I should clarify, I like the texture but seems to be more uniform if sprayed.

Just make sure you sand it down with 50 grit.. Before applying or it will peal up.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I stumbled onto somthing pretty cool today that i think might work well that tar they fill cracks in the road with polar supply in anchorage sells it in sticks it really rubbery and sticks reall well to things get it hot put in on thin and it doesnt disolve when gas gets on it like the rubber spray .

Stop by the shop I might be able to help.

+1 for auto armer

Hi Guys. I just finished some big projects with bedliner and I have some real good first hand experience. I actually took the time to adhesion test (see what sticks the best) the bedliner to find the best results for aluminum. First, Herculiner brand works the best, I would roll/ brush it on.Its available at all the car parts shops. More important, buy primer made for bare aluminum, its available in spray cans. This is very important. Follow the directions from the manufacturer and use Xylene/ xylol thinner. My next project will be my personal boat.

Quiet Fisherman

Seems good stuff (Herculiner) but down here can only get it in black. The Raptor brand I can get thru carquest can be tinted and it comes in 1 liter bottles for small jobs.
    Thought about using it on the Hewes where the factory decals that run from stern to bow are all beat up on my boat. It's exactly where the dock smacks the boat (has nothing to do with operator

I saw some small bottles of a bed liner today at AIH.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Updates on this thread?
    I'm replacing the decking with alumninum and wondering how the boats you guys sprayed are lasting.

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Check with big jim, or PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    ...I've seen it flake and peel on a small aluminum skiff deck....
    I'm acquainted with the guy who invented Rhinolining (sold out, made his millions and moved on), and I posed the question to him the other day. He's real, real well acquainted with applications and adherence with most of them cuzz he's continued to dabble. In short, he said surface preparation is especially important because of the habit of aluminum oxidizing. And even a thin layer of a few molecules of oxidation is going to cause the liner to turn loose sooner or later, almost without exception for any brand of liner.

His solution and solid recommendation is to use a wire brush or a grinder to get down into any welds or seams to remove the slightest bit of the stuff from crevices. Then clean the entire surface with muriatic acid (available at hardware stores), and coat it right away. He said with that kind of prep, almost any of the coatings will adhere well.

He also said to be especially careful of the surface treatment of any bed liner material. Basically all of them get slickerthansnot when wet or especially when icy or frosty. He's tried most of the spray liner products in his own boats and those of friends, but now he always spreads a dusting of grit over it before it set. Don't recall the stuff he uses, but he gets it at the hardware store too, where it's sold as an additive for drywall taping mud.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast