Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 62gr. ttsx or tsx .223 loads?

Default 62gr. ttsx or tsx .223 loads?

I managed to get a box of 62gr. ttsx in .224 just before the great shortage of 2013 but I can't seem to find a reliable starting load using any of the powders I have (IMR-4064/4350 and RL-15). Anybody have an idea? I emailed Barnes but haven't heard back and i'm getting antsy!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

From the Alliant Powder site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...tid=90&bdid=27

Centerfire Rifle

.223 Remington

• Speer 62 gr FMJ
    • Reloder 15
    • CCI 400
    Case
    Minimum OAL
    (inches)

Bbl Length
    Primer
    Powder
    Charge Weight
    (grains)

Velocity
    (fps)

IMI 2.255 - CCI 400 Reloder 15 25 2,832

I really need some RL15...any down on the Kenai?...

[QUOTE=

I really need some RL15...any down on the Kenai?...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha haha that's a good one.
    Unless you are one of the lucky ones to be there when the powder comes in there are no common powders on the shelf down here either. Only the strange powder that very few people use.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    From the Alliant Powder site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...tid=90&bdid=27

Centerfire Rifle

.223 Remington

• Speer 62 gr FMJ
    • Reloder 15
    • CCI 400
    Case
    Minimum OAL
    (inches)

Bbl Length
    Primer
    Powder
    Charge Weight
    (grains)

Velocity
    (fps)

IMI 2.255 - CCI 400 Reloder 15 25 2,832

I really need some RL15...any down on the Kenai?...
    No powder down here as the previous poster said.

Concerning the Alliant data, I was under the impression that lead bullet data should not be used with solid copper projectiles due the the density differences and resulting case capacity?

Varget Min: 23.5 Max: 25.5 3021 Load Density: 102

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-cont...mingtonWeb.pdf

Barnes load data and a link for the 62 gr TSX for varget above. From what I understand RL15 and Varget are VERY similar.

And if you compare the 25 grains listed for 62 gr FMJ Speers from the Alliant website, it matches pretty closely with a midrange load from Barnes. I'd probably start at 23.5 and work up, but dont take my word for it, I have not loaded the TSX's in 223.

You'd think barnes would publish some more inclusive data with lots of different powders. Well, they do, but you have to buy their book. Hint, Hint, there is always one book from each bullet mfg at sportsmans that does not have a plastic cover on it, so you can go look up a specific load there....that, and camera phones are handy.

So on second thought, before i went and loaded 23.5 grains, I'd try to peek at the Barnes Loading manual for that bullet.....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Varget Min: 23.5 Max: 25.5 3021 Load Density: 102

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-cont...mingtonWeb.pdf

Barnes load data and a link for the 62 gr TSX for varget above. From what I understand RL15 and Varget are VERY similar.

And if you compare the 25 grains listed for 62 gr FMJ Speers from the Alliant website, it matches pretty closely with a midrange load from Barnes. I'd probably start at 23.5 and work up, but dont take my word for it, I have not loaded the TSX's in 223.

You'd think barnes would publish some more inclusive data with lots of different powders. Well, they do, but you have to buy their book. Hint, Hint, there is always one book from each bullet mfg at sportsmans that does not have a plastic cover on it, so you can go look up a specific load there....that, and camera phones are handy.

So on second thought, before i went and loaded 23.5 grains, I'd try to peek at the Barnes Loading manual for that bullet.....
    Thanks for the input!

I just heard back from Barnes and they have not tested either the TSX or TTSX with any of the three powders I was asking about. THey did tell me that I CAN use lead bullet data. Apparently the rings in the TTSX are there to reduce surface friction so that the bullet still acts like a lead bullet, even though its longer, at least pressure wise.

FWIW, I happened to be in SW tonight so I looked in the Barnes book and the starting load of RL15 was 23.5 grains and the max was 25.5 grains, exactly the same as varget. The RL15 had slightly higher velocities though. This was for the 62 grain TSX.

FWIW, I happened to be in SW tonight so I looked in the Barnes book and the starting load of RL15 was 23.5 grains and the max was 25.5 grains, exactly the same as varget. The RL15 had slightly higher velocities though. This was for the 62 grain TSX.
    Thanks I really appreciate that, I haven't had a chance to get in there yet. I'm really close to finishing my bathroom remodel so i've been going straight home after work to get that done.

Odd that the Barnes tech tells me he has no data for RL-15 and its in their book, a little irritating! I may have to go get that book I suppose!

Thanks again!

CFE 223 powder would work excellent for the 5.56 and 62gr.

Varget and Reloader 15 work good with the 68/69 grain bullets in my rifle

TAC is another good powder for the 62gr @ 26.0.

I use the MK 318 bullet 62gr that was released to the Marine Corp to use and TAC.

CFE 223 is very close to WC 842 powder the government uses loaded by Federal

if you have a 1/7 twist suggest the 70gr TSX for hunting and Varget or RL 15
    Alaska

I have had outstanding results with the heavy 223 bullets (69, 77 grainers) with TAC and with Alliant 2000 MR.

I picked up some 75 grain A-Max's to try but didnt realize til I looked at them that they are too long to load to mag length in an AR. The case mouth is past the ogive...I guess I'll be hand feeding those bullets!! LOL...If my 1:9 twist will even stabilize them, they are LONGGGGG!! (My rifle will stabilize 77 grain HPBTs at least out to 100 yds..)

I loaded some of these up several months ago but I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, I just picked up my range key last week so i'm going to try and get out there some time this week, I have 3 sets of .375 loads to test too, the AR will be a nice break in between! I'll report back shortly. Thanks again!

Does Barnes give a suggested twist rate for the 62 gr TSX?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I think the 62grn calls for a 1:10 or faster. I have a 1;12 on my 22-250 and I can shoot the 53grn bullets

Sent while hiding from the boss

That's good...I want to try them in a CZ 527 with a 1 in 12" too. I keep thinking I'm going to rebarrel but it shoots so good with 55 gr I can't bring myself to do it. Just wish they made it with an internal magazine. Thanks Tony!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

75gr BTHP Hornady will work

works best in the 1:7 twist

75 gr AMAX excellent bullet for 5.56 but must be hand feed very good BC

77 gr Sierra MK excellent in my SCAR with the 1:7 twist

1:9 twist suggest no heavier than 64gr
    Alaska

Bush man, if you havent already, try Alliants MR 2000 with those heavy 223 bullets. Good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I loaded some of these up several months ago but I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, I just picked up my range key last week so i'm going to try and get out there some time this week, I have 3 sets of .375 loads to test too, the AR will be a nice break in between! I'll report back shortly. Thanks again!
    I'd be interested to hear how those loads with RL15 shoot for you. thanks...

I have had outstanding results with the heavy 223 bullets (69, 77 grainers) with TAC and with Alliant 2000 MR.

I picked up some 75 grain A-Max's to try but didnt realize til I looked at them that they are too long to load to mag length in an AR. The case mouth is past the ogive...I guess I'll be hand feeding those bullets!! LOL...If my 1:9 twist will even stabilize them, they are LONGGGGG!! (My rifle will stabilize 77 grain HPBTs at least out to 100 yds..)

I would not try 77 gr in the 1:9 the 69 gr would work 62/64 would work even better
    The 1:7 twist I like the 75 and 77 grain BT

100 yards the 75/77 gr were for 500 yards plus shooting

the AMax 75 excellent bullet but to long for AR magazines
    Alaska

Seen it made in USA good

My SCAR really likes 77gr Sierra with TAC I duplicated the MK 262 Mod 1 round that our Troops use

loaded by Black Hills they use TAC in the MK 262 Mod 1 load

Super good anti zombie round.

i wish I could find some CCI 41 primers
    Alaska

Even our issued M16a2 use the 1:7 twist with 62gr

excellent
    Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast